Kelly Holmes - World Sportswoman of the Year

Greece Men's Football Team - World Team of the Year

Liu Xiang - World Newcomer of the Year

Alessandro Zanardi - World Comeback of the Year

Chantal Petitclerc - World Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability

Ellen MacArthur - World Alternative Sportsperson of the Year

Boston Red Sox - Spirit of Sport Award

Gerry Storey - Sport for Good Award

Greece arrived in Portugal for the 2004 European Championship as 150-1 outsiders who had never won a match at a major tournament. Four weeks later the Greece national team, and in particular Otto Rehhagel and Angelos Charisteas had become legendary figures in Greek football history.

Greece were surprise winners of a surprise European Championship which saw top teams France, Italy and Germany eliminated early. Angelos Charisteas scored the winning goal in the 1-0 Euro 2004 final victory against hosts Portugal, while German Otto Rehhagel, aged 65, proved a tactical genius as Greek coach.

The Greeks played with strong defence, confidence in each other and with shrewd strategy. Rehhagel is the first foreign coach and the oldest coach in football history to lead a team to victory in the European Championship. As an exercise in working with the resources at your disposal and getting the best out of them, Rehhagel provided a mastermind.

Greece's new gods on the field were Traianos Dellas and Charisteas, two men barely able to get a game for Roma and Werder Bremen, and yet the talismen for the values of brilliant coaching, organisation and honesty.

Otto Rehhaggel, Takis Fysas kai Topalidis were present at the ceremony! :D

:gr:

:nw: :nw: :nw:

:gr: :gr: :gr:

:nw: :nw: :nw:

they had shown in a show, where they had made a poll in the net, that greece's achievement in portugal was also awarded the first place there.

i think except the win of the european championship this award is the biggest one the team has gotten so far.

i am also happy about federer getting the award. except his performance at the olympics he is by far the best tennis player right now.

seriously, everyone, wasn't last summer probably the happiest time of your life??? will there be anything like it again?

I can tell you this: whenever I even dare to hear Helakis's commentary when Greece scores, I get goosebumps!

Its an amazing honor we won the Laureus World Sports Award for World Team of the Year.

We also won an another award before:

The Adidas International the 2004 Adi-Dasler-Partner award. It should be noted that this prize is rarely awarded to represent soccer.

Here's another award we won:

Fifa awarded Greece best team of the yaer ahead of Arsenal who were undefeted for 49 games straight.

Another award:The World Football Gala 2004:

The best national coach of the year - Otto Rehhagel(Greece)

The best league of the year - Spanish Primera Liga

The best referee of the year - Markus Mark(Germany)

The best goal keeper of the year - Buffon(Juventus)

The best player of the year - Ronaldinho(FC Barcelona)

The best club coach of the year - Jose Mourinho(Chelsea)

More will come...

seriously, everyone, wasn't last summer probably the happiest time of your life??? will there be anything like it again? I would want to say 2006 but i'll probably jinx it. After a year all these articles and awards recieved still bring a tear to my eye.

:gr: :gr: :gr:

Was it the greastest and happiest summer?

My daughter was born a few days before the kick-off and we came home just in time to catch the first game. We saw all the games to together (my daughter in my arms), can I ask for anything more...I am getting teary eyed writing this....

Lets not forget the Olympics....everyone thought the Greeks were not capable of pulling it off.....once again we proved the world wrong!!

2004 will be unforgettable!!!

PS...I am trying to post a pic of myself and my daughter....can someone navigate me??? it is in jpeg

Some sites like www.pathfinder.gr (which I use) give you the ability to upload some pics and ther stuff to their servers...

By doing that you get an e-address for the picture which you use here.

But there is also the relevant forum where, if you send it by email, Lazarus will post it and it will only be visible to registered members

http://clubs.phantis.com/sports/index.php?...p?showforum=107

You decide...

its crazy that almost a year has gone

since Greece turned the soccer world upside down

and the sporting world for that matter

this summer will be crazy b/c of the fight to get to the wc will be at stake

lets hope we have another good summer here

Ellas#1

Archived