Phantis Forums

Do the Greeks play fair?

Greece currently lies 41st out of 52 in the UEFA Fairplay League (the top country of which gets an extra place in the UEFA Cup).

Apparently, "The Fair Play coefficient is based on criteria such as positive play, respect for opponents and the referee, the behaviour of team officials and supporters as well as cautions and dismissals."

Is this harsh? I watch a fair bit of Greek football and it doesn't seem much different to English football in terms of diving, bookings etc - and yet England are 5th in the Fair Play league.

Here's the link to the full Fair Play table...

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/UEFACup/n...sId=295860.html

For this particuliar statistic my friend I would have to say that Greek Soccer should be lower. It seems like every week we are hearing about another team or plyaers that are getting either suspended or teams having to play without any fans.

I live here in the States and I watch alot of British, German, French and Italian soccer and it's amazing to see how their crowds, their players, their managers just how everything is run. Where in Greece... Yeah theyu say that it's proffessional and all but there's now way NEAR to what those other leagues are doing. Don't get me wrong here, I love to watch Greek soccer and watch my favorite team play but as far as fair play.. well that's another thing. What happened at the San Siro about a week ago was something that you will find in a Greek League match about 3-5 times a season (Maybe there were Greeks in the crowd) :)

Hope this helps and it's an opinion that I have really... :gr: :gr: :gr:

I live here in the States and I watch alot of British, German, French and Italian soccer and it's amazing to see how their crowds, their players, their managers just how everything is run.

no way man....you must have a vchip in your tv.....

french/british i dont care what happens.....

as for Italian-

you are trying to say the fans behave better???

how exactly? fights and riots have been errupting the last 2 weeks and italy has a fair share of its problems with this beleive me. You dont think fans dont throw things at each other in games, swear, throw things at players? BULLSHIT. As for what happened in San Siro last week with the Inter fags-that was pretty ###### bad. I have never seen that much crap fly on a field before. Germany is the same- i dont see much bundesliga but when i went to nurnberg i saw them and you saw things flying on the pitch too....

as for on the field- dicipline? italy? are u shitting me?

I think the coefficiency is to do alot with fan behaviour, which is why countries like Greece, Italy, Cyprus are so low in the fair play league.

The funny thing is is that all the teams that are allowed two or more places in the CL are in the top 20, except for Italy and Greece... which shows big leagues have a much more organised and disciplined than smaller leagues, with the exception of Italy and Greece, were fanatism turns up in almost every game.

Archived