Phantis Forums

TOURKIA vs ELLAS

soa2003

Greece wins 1-0.

It'll be a very defensive game with plenty of hard tackles. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few yellow cards. It'll be tough, physical, and will give the NT a true test. However, if we come away with the win, we'll have enough of a confidence boost to beat Ukraine in Athens. ZITO ELLAS!!! :gr: :gr:

It is really early to even know what players will be there to play(hopefully all of them!), in order to predict, but I see a draw of 1-1 or 2-2 against Turkey.

I believe that both teams will be cautious in this stage of the preliminaries....but as I told it is very difficult to predict anything at the moment...

Apart from that I hope we win, even with a 0.5 goal lead!!!

do not be afraid of Turkey

they are far away the team that finished 3rd place in 2002 WC

that 5-2 win may be impressive but Georgia was breathing down their backs till the 75th min when it was 3-2 at the time

Georgia got burned our counter attacks trying to score the game tying goal

Ukraine came into Turkey with a 3-0 thrashing

as great as Greece is i don't expect that but more then welcome that result

we will get a win in Turkey

off course time will tell who will play

i mean by that time

everybody will be done with their club obligations so u would think the players will be rested and ready for the game

we will see

turkey are a very strong side, but i think the NT team can come back home with a win. this will be a great boost towards qualification. we also need to beat ukraine at home then danmark, in danmark. a champion side will never beat a champion team, and ELLAS is that champion team

Guest Protathlitis

seriously what did they do at the world cup?

they beat china, costa rica, korea, senegal and lost to brazil twice. then latvia goes to euro instead of them

Im very confident for this game

The National Team will be ready for Turkey on June 4th - it will be a difficult road game - we sshould always be very cautious on the road - in their stadium - I believe it is going to be low scoring and very physical as most of you have mentioned on this site. Kyriakos impressed me in the back vs Albania - he had big shoes to fill and played steady and strong. Bravo!

Ellas 1 - Turkey 0

Ellas!

polyxrone

Just a few thoughts on this crucial game paidia. My prediction of the line-up Rehhagel might use, and the final score. What do you guys think?

Starting eleven:

Nikopolidis (GK)

Seitaridis (RWB)

Fyssas (LWB)

Dellas (CB)

Kyriakos (Sweeper) or Kapsis as CB in tandom with Dellas(4-4-2)

Giannakopoulos (RMF)

Karagounis (LMF)

Basinas (CM)

Katsouranis (CM)

Haristeas (FRWD)

Vryzas (FRWD)

I would say a 3-1-4-2 formation for this game boys, with Kyriako in front of the back three of Dellas, Fyssas, and Seitaridi. What about putting Tsarta on the left of the midfield. Some of those deadly passes will be able to split the Turkish defense apart. Anways, what would be your starting line-up for this game, and what score. I think even a draw in the Poli would be a good result, the only thing is that Ukraine play Kazakstan on the day. I am sure it will be a Ukraine win. Even if we finish second in the group (we can still advance without having to go into the playoff). Sure a win would be nice and we have won four straight but it will be tough in front of a fanatical Turkish crowd. Remember also we have the game against the Ukraine four days after, that I expect us to win. No screwing around in this game. But in any case we must come out attacking against the Turks, and maybe we can pull off the win. Prediction: Toupkia 1- Ellada 1 :gr:

I like greeksoccerfanatic's idea of a 3-1-4-2. I think Kyraigos (or Kapsis or even Goumas) could play the 1 man as a stopper/deep defensive mid. The other 3 would play flat so it'd look like a triangle with the 3 as the base and the 1 as the point. Sort of like this:

Kyraigos (would be in front of Dellas, this won't let me put him directly over him)

Fyssas-----------------------Dellas------------------------------Giorkas

Also, if Fyssas (we could really use his left foot for crosses) and/or Giorkas head forward to attack, that stopper could drop back to form a flat-back 3 in the defense.

Midfield and forwards would work normally. Tsiartas should come on as a sub to replace katsouranis or basinas if we need some offense late. That and Amanatidis (or Gekkas) could sub in for Vryzas cuz his "don't quit" playing style will probably leave him ragged after 70 or so minutes. I'm not saying that's negative, (we need that), I just think it would be more benifical to our team later in the game.

Anyway, considering the circumstances, we can definately win this game 2-1. Though even if we get a draw, that won't bee to bad considerng us (probably IMO) we'll beat the Ukraine cutting the deficit to 1 point. They'll defintaly slip up points (all teams do) and that can be our push into the group lead. A loss would seriously screw us over here, we'd be in a dogfight for 2nd and missing out on would finish us.

FYI, the Ukraine are playing K-stan :( . So it's pretty much an automatic 3 points for them. Unless they did what happened to us in Tirana (I don't see how they could lose, a draw seems pretty remote as is).

seriously what did they do at the world cup?

they beat china, costa rica, korea, senegal and lost to brazil twice. then latvia goes to euro instead of them

Im very confident for this game

Protathlitis- great point :tup:

Now this has nothing to do with me being Greek - the Turks had an incredibly easy run in WC 2002 - I've never seen anything like it

Great post - except for one point - they didn't even beat Costa Rica - they tied 1-1

and only moved on out of the group stage because they beast up on the lowly Chinese - they beat Asian teams and African teams the only 2 decent games they had were versus Brazil and they lost both

Even to qualify for that tourney - they came 2nd in a brutally easy group then matche up with Austria in the knockout round

What does this mean? Not much except - there is no comparison to what we did in EURO - knocking out Spain at home to qualify - beating the host , the defending champs, the"best team" in the tourney then the hosts a second time - no comparison - that's that!!!!!

Plus head to head we have outplayed them at the club level - and are ready to do this on the nation al level .

Zito ti patritha :gr: :gr:

Greece 1 Turkey 0

Where is the game - Kostantinoupoli?

:gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

it hasn't been announced yet but the game is probably in Istanbul

Greece will win 1-0 and for that matter win all of it's remaining qualifiers. you heard Zagorakis and Rehagel, they're only thinking of first place.

we're gonna rock the house in Istanbul

:box: :box: :box:

many confident people here. eventhough many things can change by june, i'm not as confident.

what do you think the turkish supporters are saying? 'we drew 0-0 with greece in front of their fanatical supporters, looking more threatening as we played greece's style, counter-attacking..greece will be no problem'. it goes both ways. it only helps turkey that this match is in turkey. even a 50-50 penalty might go their way.

I think that 0-0 draw in Athens probably had more to do with the psychological blow of losing to Albania in Albania in that first match. Many players had poor games and the NT created very little offensively. However, I think things are a little different this time around. We'll be rested going into this game, plus our confidence will be pretty good with those 4 consecutive wins. Realistically, Turkey has as much incentive to win as we do, considering if they win, they'll leapfrog us into 2nd. Nevertheless, I'm still thinking Greece will come away with a tight win.

'we drew 0-0 with greece in front of their fanatical supporters, looking more threatening as we played greece's style, counter-attacking..greece will be no problem'. it goes both ways. it only helps turkey that this match is in turkey.

being overconfident

is a bad thing

BUT

look what we accomplished after we tied with turkey

we tied with ukraine at THEIR own home stadium and then won against denmark(something the turkish team didn't do)

it wasnt a win and it was nearly a loss but my opinion ukraine is playing a lot better than turkey (hint hint SHEVCHENKO)

so just because we lost to albania on the first match and tied with turkey later doesnt add up too much

this game will decide a lot and i have no doubt that my team will beat turkey...

1-0 perhaps? or 2-1

To early to predict anything, but it could go either way. As a Greek and cypriot I have to root for Ellas of Course.

Oh,AEK-MTL. Great to see a fellow hockey fan, but I have to say GO FLYERS! :angry:

AEK66:

You bring up valid points about the drawbacks of the 3-1-4-2. Defensively, you could also "flip/reflect" the triangle in so that the one is a sweeper (I'd use Dellas cuz of height and his advatanges in zoal defending). Though, in this game, I'd use a 4-4-2, simply due to the fact that's it gotten us this far, and changing things up already without another key player (zagorakis) could throw everyone off. Though it could work well if we needed to change things up a bit (personal or preformance warrenting). Though I doubt that'll ever happen w/ Otto's stubborness.

Midfield: Call me crazy, but if Kapsis can get forward (and can cross and/or score like he did against Georgia, I'd play him on the left wing and put Kapsis or Goumas at left back. We sorely need a left mid, and Stelios can only do so much on the left. Otto could use any of the following mids based on their tendencies and prefered styles and positions. He should keep it balanced and if I were in his shoes I'd use:

Fyssas on the left (with Goumas/Kapsis on the left back; filling in, in a 4-4-2), Katsouranis as a central defensive mid, Stelios on the right, and Karagounis as a central attacking mid (right behind our forwards Vryzas and Charisteas, kinda like Eki for PAO). This would leave Basinas (defensive), Tsartas (attacking), and Lakis (balanced, if anything he's more attacking) avliable should a situation warrant more offense or defense. Your thoughts...??

AEK66,

THIS IS WHAT I AM THINKING. PUT KATSOURANI AND BASINA IN THE CENTRE OF MIDFIELD, WITH EITHER GIANNAKOULO AND KARAGOUNI ON THE RIGHT AND LEFT WINGS RESPECTIVELY. THIS IS WHERE I BELIEVE OTTO CAN INSERT TSARTA(MAYBE INSTEAD OF KATSOURANI TO PROVIDE MORE ATTACKING PROWESS IN OUR MIDFIELD. KATSOURANI IS MORE DEFENSIVE ORIENTED). DELLAS IS OUR DEFENSIVE MARKING CENTRE BACK, BUT OTTO I THINK CAN JUST PLAY KYRIAKO IN FRONT OF THE BACK THREE THAT I MENTIONED IN MY PREVIOUS REPLY. SOMETHING LIKE FRANCO BARESI WHEN HE PLAYED FOR MILAN. WE CAN'T FORGET, KYRIAKO CAN ALSO PUT THE BALL IN THE NET, AND WE NEED ANY ATTACKING HELP WE CAN GET.

AEK66, WHO WOULD YOU PLAY IN A 3-5-2 FORMATION BASED ON WHAT YOU HAVE SEEN REHHAGEL PUT ON THE FIELD SO FAR. IN A 3-5-2 THIS IS WHAT THE LINE-UP WOULD BE:

NIKOPOLIDIS

DELLAS

SEITARIDIS

FYSSAS

GIANNKOPOULO(ON THE LEFT)

BASINA

KATSOURANI(MORE DEFENSIVE, AND HAS NO ATTAKING FLARE. SENDS AIMLESS BALLS UP FIELD.)

KARAGOUNI (ON THE RIGHT. HE IS A MACHINE AND CAN RUN TURKEY RAGGED ON THE WING).

KYRIAKO(IS NOT A MIDFIELDER SO WHERE WILL OTTO FIT HIM IN A 3-5-2)

HARISTEAS

VRYZAS

THIS IS WHY I SAID PLAY KYRIAKO IN FRONT OF DELLAS IN A 3-1-4-2. B)

Guest Protathlitis

exaclty; why the f*** are we reffering to it as 'istanbul'??

that may be a Greek word as well but the turks only changed the name 70 years ago.........the real name as all Greeks know is CONSTANTINOPLE so why cant we pay a bit of respect?

If emotions take over, this game is 1-X-2 with any outcome possible (including a double forfeit). If King Otto manages to keep our team focused (he usually does), we are looking at a match similar to the one in Zaragoza v. Spain.

My personal prediction: Turkey - Greece 1-1 (1-0 in the half)

Guys

I see the roots of problems growing again

Sure we can call it Constantinople, Konstantinoupoli or whatever

Its how we call it

The attached comments like

exaclty; why the f*** are we reffering to it as

or

not that bullshit name

are offensive and should not be part of any serious discussion.

It is called Istanbul now and of course all non Greeks talking about it will use that name whatever we do

I also found by chance a while ago the exact date the name was changed

have a look at the thread: http://clubs.phantis.com/forums/index.php?...st=0entry2690

Please, concentrate on the game and leave other things aside.

Especially in this case we all need to be carefull and enjoy the game with our Turkish friends in the forum.

May the best team win

Archived