Phantis Forums

State of Greek Soccer

Mitsos

After our National teams' success over the summer, I thought that Greek Soccer was about to turn the corner. Unfortunately, the teams and the league as a whole have once again disappointed me. It started with P.A.O.K.s' inability to advance to the Champions League group stage. Putting aside the Loukas fiasco, they played terrible soccer and still do until this day. Then both PAO and OSFP were holding fate in their own hands and couldn't come through. Having said this I still think they are the two teams who get hurt the most from the pathetic defensive tactics that are being used by the majority of the teams in the A' ethniki. Most people believe those two teams are the problem with Greek soccer because of fixed games and all the B.S. excuses used by losing teams and their fans. I contend that it's a good thing they exist because currently they are the only ray of hope the A' ethniki has. And of course the embarrassing showing by all Greek teams in the UEFA CUP. Enough said about that tournament. I feel blessed to have witnessed this summer’s miracle because, in my life time anyway, I don't think anything remotely close to it will happen. Back to reality I guess.

Not having Oly or PAO advance from the CL (especially cuz they were so close :( ) definately put a dent in the respect for Greek soccer. Oly and/or PAO have to must a good run in the UEFA Cup (quarterfinals at least) to salvage some respect and pride. Let's see what happens with tomorrow's draw :unsure: . All I know is we can't draw each other, but I hope we won't draw a good team (i.e. Schoux, Dyanimo Kiev, Stuttgart etc.) There are others, but there are plenty of beatable teams on the draw list. Anyway, Zhito Ellas!! :gr: :D

I believe the failure of PAO and Olympiakos to qualify in the CL as well as the poor results of the Greek clubs in the UEFA Cup are the result of mediocre Greek league, specially the fact that there is not a strong competition between the teams. Unfortunately the Greek league is slowly becoming something based on the Scottish model, where the top two teams battle it out for the title, while they face very little competition from the rest of the teams.

Archived