Phantis Forums

euro04 team gets no money?!?!?!

petpnyc

ATHENS, Sept 3 (Reuters) - Getting Greece's European champions in the right frame of mind for the World Cup qualifier against Albania on Saturday could depend on soccer association officials turning up in Tirana on Friday with a chequebook.

The bonuses for Greece's upset Euro 2004 victory in Portugal in July have become a bone of contention with the team saying they are disappointed that government officials went back on their initial promise to be generous.

"We are left with a bitter taste, not because of the financial part but because they went back on their word," the players said in a statement.

The players want one million euros ($1.22 million) each but the Greek state says it can only afford four million euros to be divided among the 23 squad members, around 173,000 euros each, the same amount it gives to Olympic medal winners.

The Hellenic Football Federation (EPO) stepped in on the side of the players, saying the state's offer was not enough.

"The players must get one million euros each," said EPO president Vassilis Gagatsis. "It was they who got all those people out celebrating on the streets, not the Olympic medals."

The EPO is expected to try to defuse the row by topping up their own separate bonuses to the players so that the final total sum per player reaches 700,000 euros, Greek newspapers reported.

EPO officials were not immediately available for comment, but were widely expected to meet players in Tirana on Friday and hand out cheques ahead of Saturday's Group Two match.

Greece's German coach Otto Rehhagel refused to be drawn into the debate.

"We have come for the three points," he said. "The coach deals only in the sporting issues of the team."

Its very easy to make promises with other people's money... If EPO want to give them a mn each let them put the 16mn that they got from UEFA which along with the other four will bring up the prim to 20mn!!!

But the vromo-pasokia have promised huge amounts and they actually thought that they could get away with the 16,5 mn that they got from UEFA!!!!

OYST LAMOIO GAGATSI!!!! :ph34r: :box:

P.S. When our team won the cup Gagatsis was always in front of the spot-lights to hold it with Zagorakis, sharing their victory, but now when time comes to award the players he is doing the 'duck'!!! :whistle: :whistle:

But what do you expect they have eaten trillions over the 20 years and they have become greedy and want the 16.5mn EUR for themselves!!!!

STO VOURKO PASOKIA!!!! :box: :ph34r:

But the vromo-pasokia have promised huge amounts and they actually thought that they could get away with the 16,5 mn that they got from UEFA!!!!

OYST LAMOIO GAGATSI!!!! :ph34r: :box:

Excuse me for my ignorance. I am not a fan of PASOK or ND or any other Greek political party for that matter, but if I remember correctly the party that was in charge from March (3 monthes before Euro 2004 even took place, and even before we knew we would be in the Euro finals) in Greece was ND, so if anyone promised any money, it had to be Petralia & Orfanos.

As for Gagatsi, I agree, he should go. He has been way too favorable to one team in Greece, culminating with an agreement that can only benefit theio Socrati by exclusivelly assigning all the Greek WC qualifying games to Karaiskaki. I wonder what rent does EPO pay to PAE Olympiakos for the use of Karaiskaki?

I agree and of course they are heroes....

But if EPO gives them some money from their piece of the 16,5 mn Pie they will end up with at least half a million each!

And half a million is not that bad considering that most of the Ethinki players do not get more than that over a year!!

Ziaka: Orfanos or the government or even the last government never went into discussions on HOW much they will give as a bonus... Gagatsis was the one that mentioned the 1mn EUR bonus!

Orfanos promised 1.000.000 EUR after the win against France, which made 4.000.000 EUR after wining the EURO.

Gagatsis is the one that promised 1.000.000 Euros per player, but he doesn't give any extra money to the rest of the member of the team (physio, coaches etc). And don't forget that he fired a couple of the medical group because they refused to give him the medals that they took from UEFA. He wanted their medals to use them as exhibits in EPO.

EPO has taken 19.000.000 EUR from UEFA, and is giving 10.000.000 EUR as bonus to the players. Gagatsis want to keep a big piece of this money to "help" his campaign for re-election as president of EPO (The elections have been set for October if I remember correctly).

If you sum up these money (from Orfano and EPO), then it is 14m EUR, which means around 700.000 EUR per player. IS THIS A SMALL REWARD???? After all they were not supposed to be doing this for the money.

Excuse me for my ignorance. I am not a fan of PASOK or ND or any other Greek political party for that matter, but if I remember correctly the party that was in charge from March (3 monthes before Euro 2004 even took place, and even before we knew we would be in the Euro finals) in Greece was ND, so if anyone promised any money, it had to be Petralia & Orfanos.

You're right on the money there, Ziaka.

ESP's Ministry of Propaganda in full motion there. It Makes Tony Blair's "spin" Doctorship look like childs play. I'm suprised Saddam wasn't blamed for this.

Posted Image

Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf....aka....Elastonpappou 13 :lol:

How much does stinking EPO think the state will dish out ? They are the ones with the F A T pockets from the Euro. Personally 700,000 is decent IMHO, I wouldnt mind bumping the check to 1 million either. THEY are EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS for GODS sake !

As far as the comedian Al-Shahaf, talk about trying to hold morale in your camp at all costs, LMAO. Good times listening to him :tup:

Now that the prim issue has been resolved I hope that you all realise now that I was once again correct.... ;)

As our friend Vaggar said Orfanos firstly promise 1.000.000 and after we beat France he promised 4,000,000. That was the only official number that came out of the Government (for those that did not know)....

On the Other hand EPO did not get 19mn but 16.5mn!!! This figure however is without the sponsors, adverts etc etc. If you add everyhting together it comes up to 22.5mn EUR!!!! So if the Aliti gagatsis promised 1mn EUR for EACH player then let him resolve the problem.

As he did recently because he had no choice.... EPO has given a big share and along with the 4mn EUR of the government each player ended up getting 700.000 EUR!!! In my book this is not a small figure and most of the NT players would need an average of 5 years to get this kind of money (Apart from a few of course like Basinas, Tsiartas etc...)

Archived