Phantis Forums

Rate the Athens games

Irlandos

I heard my first Olympic Games, on radio, in 1964 and have seen all the rest on TV (minus the 1980 Games as I lived in a country that boycotted them).

I even lived in a city that hosted them in 1996 (and had to work a 13:00 - 21:00 work shift because of it).

Though I miss the old US v. USSR competition, I will say that this Olympiad was the best ever!

Anyone else care to share their opinion?

The 1st Olympic Games i remember myself watching on tv was Seoul 1988. Ive seen all the rest on tv, well i didnt see much of Sydney 2000 cos i was in the lab doing my project all summer :angry: but ANYWAY!! I really do think that the Athens 2004 Olympic Games rocked from Day 1 and ALL the way until tonight :tup: WE ARE THE BEST IN THIS BUSSINESS INNIT :gr: *LOL* and i have a good feeling that Beijing 2008 Olympic Games will also be unique!! :)

Lemme give us a 10/10 :gr: ande kai gia na gino ligo pio afstiri, 9/10!! :P cos theres always room for improvement i guess ;)

They were indeed the best!!!! :gr:

Ups...

1. Almost full venues

2. Most countries to ever take part

3. Most athletes to ever take part

4. The greatest Olympic Stadium

5. Minor distances between the venues

6. The weather

7. Our wanderful VOLUNTEERS!!!! :nw: :nw: :nw:

8. Overall Organisation of the games

9. Sucess in Anti-doping controls

Downs...

Only one basically... The idiotic crowd for making several olympic events look like a PAO-OSFP derby.... :tdown: :tdown:

on a scale of 1 to 10....they get a 25! :gr:

on NBC's coverage (the broadcaster here in the states that showed the games) ... they get a 2. im just hoping to find a dvd of the opening and closing ceremonies somewhere so i can see them. :angry:

my first olympics were also the ones of seoul. i dont remember much though.

if i have to give a first rank to the games from barcelona and after i'd say that athens gets the first place. maybe because i was there. but it was just wonderful. the whole city was living in olympic rhythm.

the organisation was perfect (who would expect that from greeks? ;) )

the venues are wonderful

the volunteers did a great job, congrats for that :tup:

maybe in sydney the people were more enthusiastic with the games but i dont think the atmosphere got even close to the one in athens.

it was a great experience. i hope i'll manage it to get to china too in 2008.

like the advert sais in greece: this year we celebrate greece

and we did it just like greeks can :tup: :gr:

The first Olympics that I remember are the 1972 Munich games, which I watched on TV in Czechoslovakia. Since than I have followed all the Olympics thanks to TV coverage.

The Athens games are the first Olympics that I can claim I have attended in person, as well as observed on TV (either in Greece and inthe US). Before the games I was a little bit sceptical on the success of the Athens games. However that scepticism was dispeled, when I arrived in Greece in July. From the organizational standpoint, the games we staged with great success. The venues and the infrastructure were up to the latest standards.

Overall, I have to congratulate the country of Greece for staging wonderful games.

They were indeed the best!!!! :gr:

Ups...

1. Almost full venues

2. Most countries to ever take part

3. Most athletes to ever take part

4. The greatest Olympic Stadium

5. Minor distances between the venues

6. The weather

7. Our wanderful VOLUNTEERS!!!! :nw: :nw: :nw:

8. Overall Organisation of the games

9. Sucess in Anti-doping controls

Downs...

Only one basically... The idiotic crowd for making several olympic events look like a PAO-OSFP derby.... :tdown: :tdown:

Your a disgrace. How can you bag the greek fans.

Welcome to real fans. WHat do you want them to do sit with there hands in there pockets and do nothing like the Australi.

Ah re amerikanakia esis mono otan thelete eiste Ellines. Poulimeni. SInce the Euro win everyone all of a sudden is proud to be Greek. Where were you guys before the Euro.

A congratulations to the Greek fans on the night of the 200 mens final. We don't take crap from anyone. How come no americans tested positive to drugs. Cover ups.

ELLAS OLE ELLAS OLE OLE DEN STAMATO NA TRAGOUDO POTE.

EVEN THE TOURIST WERE SINGING THIS SONG.

I don't know about you but I would never boo other Athletes in one of their greatest moments even if they come from America. ;)

I think the Olympic games gave us a great chance to become better people and with a more sportmanlike spirit. I think we should take advantage of this and change all our bad habits regarding sports... (Including myself of course)....

And in regards to PAOKG4 post I would accept insults from someone other than a PAOK fan. But I hate when someone is speaking of 'disgrace' especially when I doubt that he has ever been to an Olympic event (or any sport event other than in touba) in his life... And my remark in respect to the idiotic crowd is not only for the 200 meters final but also to several other events where the crowd acted as football fans, which we conveniently forgot about.... (Tennis, Boxing etc etc)....

I think the Olympic games gave us a great chance to become better people and with a more sportmanlike spirit. I think we should take advantage of this and change all our bad habits regarding sports... (Including myself of course)....

I agree with you that Greek fans have to change their behaviour, but you know very well that this is almost impossible.

Everything is possible as long as they start thinking for themselves instead of being guided by Lamoia!!!

It doesn't take too much intelligence to figure out that we shouldn't be shouting against the mother or the sister of a football player, we shouldn't throw knives and sifonia in basketball games, or transform a tennis court into an arena with people spitting and shouting to the athlete who, by the way, just LOST the game.... ;)

I am sorry to say that but I still think that the Greek crowd along with the journalists was the worst aspect of these Olympics...

But what is done is done. Now we should think and try to become a better nation rather than critisising everyone, and have an opinion about everyone and everything.

We are the Euro 2004 Football champions and as such we need to behave like champions...

A great lesson learned from Portugal was the hospitality, sportsmanship and CLASS of the Portuguese fans

They had every reason to hate us for crashing their party (twice), but bahaved like ladies and gentlemen!!!

How would our fans have reacted in their shoes?

PEACE

I don't know about you but I would never boo other Athletes in one of their greatest moments even if they come from America. ;)

And in regards to PAOKG4 post I would accept insults from someone other than a PAOK fan. But I hate when someone is speaking of 'disgrace' especially when I doubt that he has ever been to an Olympic event (or any sport event other than in touba) in his life... And my remark in respect to the idiotic crowd is not only for the 200 meters final but also to several other events where the crowd acted as football fans, which we conveniently forgot about.... (Tennis, Boxing etc etc)....

Entaksi file mas paizis kai ton manga. For your information yes I have been to an Olympic event. I went to two soccer matches in 2000 in Melbourne.

You don't want to here insults other than PAOK fans. I wonder why maybe because were proud of being Greek and we don't expect crap from anybody else.

You bag the greeks at they way the treated the American athletes in the 200 metres final. How can you throw out Kenteris, give a legend like Alexander Nemov a bad score when his performance was exceptional so they can give the gold medal to the American. What do you expect the crowd to do. Ofcourse there going to get upset.

Why is it that atheltes who come from countires who are finace difficulties and atheltes who come from small nations get punished for drugs. How come no American athletes get punished. Marion Jones is supposed to be banned. When? Next Century when.

So instead of putting your hands in your pockets like a typical gavro/vazela express your feelings. PAOK = ELLAS AND ELLAS = PAOK.

I'M PROUD OF BEING GREEK AND I WON'T EXPECT ANY CRAP FROM ANYBODY.

We are the Euro 2004 Football champions and as such we need to behave like champions...

A great lesson learned from Portugal was the hospitality, sportsmanship and CLASS of the Portuguese fans

They had every reason to hate us for crashing their party (twice), but bahaved like ladies and gentlemen!!!

PEACE

Exactly Trifilli, imagine if the final was hosted in Greece and our team lost the game... I wander the same thing... What would have happened? ;)

PEACE

Exactly Trifilli, imagine if the final was hosted in Greece and our team lost the game... I wander the same thing... What would have happened? ;)
Stous Olympiakous apoklistike oi omades tis ethnikis mas sto Volley, Podosfairo, kalathosfairisi kai sta imetelika tou Polo se Antres kai Gynaikes.

Egine episodia?

If Greece lost a final of a Euro nothing would have hapend.

This is because they played crap and lost the game by their own stupidity and no one could argue that. If there was some suspicion over the referees then it would have been a completely different story...

The Mao-Mao could not say anything.

In Volleyball we were leading 20-12 in the 3rd set and we managed to loose the game.

In Basketball we were leading by 12 points difference in the 3rd quarter and again we lost.

In womens polo we were leading 7-9 in the first half of the extra-time and managed to loose 10-9!

Football, I don't have to mentioned we sucked big time!

So who could have said anything on these losses!!!

we booed vs USA because they are an overated team who dare to call themselves true athletes, dont take the competition seriously- these guys DONT EVEN VALUE THE OLYMPICS AS THERE GREATEST MOMENTS- it would be a dream for most people to compete in the games....but not for these trash players... and i booed them even louder for his...

there were no sold refs.... the only suspision was from the basket with USA...he was so bad and the USA could have done it to try to recover from there embarassment with PR....

as for the rest of the events i really doubt it...

i agree with PAOKg4 about the atmosphere though....why shouldnt we create chaos inside??? the olympic games are in greece should we sit and clap quietly???? people go to have fun and see ellas compete....and they go for the atomsphere and to have fun.....if you are referring to booing - of course teams will be booed- they are the opponents... why not? they were even booing Tunisia in Volley and Croatia in handball....

The Biggest disapointment of this games other than that F***ing tram (which was terrible - no arguement really- very slow- stops no reason- the cars were way too small......) anyways the other disapointment was the STUPID OLY FANS. I wanted to vomit when Gey chants break out during the football events- and even worse when i was watching Mixali Mouroutso on TV in Tae kwando i saw some m#$%!- with his OSFP flag in the first row.....while the others all had GREEK flags... this made me furious... i hate OSFP and their fans and Pireas even more now.

Archived