Phantis Forums

CLq3: Maccabi Tel Aviv - PAOK

Ziaka

Better luck in the UEFA Cup, guys!

Btw, if you draw Glentoran, I promise to be in the Oval as a one-day PAOKtzi!

yeah i was really hoping to become a paoktzi for a night too with inter milan.... :(

but anyways PAOK i think can reach the 8 of uefa this year and who knows from there........ maybe youll even draw these bastards again if theyre lucky enough to finish 3rd.... :P

Ahhhhh I really dont like saying I told you so but a particular poster (I wont name names) had a crack at AEK and their CL performances last April....he bagged us for not getting a win, he bagged us for our crowds.....to which I replied make it first and then say what you will do.....he mocked and laughed......

I just sit back and laugh now. And I know the 1-0 isnt a true reflection of what could have happened but had the score remained at 2-1 you still wouldnt of got through....and that sadly is the stone cold truth.

Comiserations to those who didnt have a crack at us....

Really disappointing results. But to be honest with you guys, it shouldn't be surprising given the lack of preparation by the team.

1) ADMIN: The team's administration showed a total lack of class when they screwed up that "Loukas" dude's status. And for them to point fingers at one another is totally idiotic. As far as I'm concerned, everyone...from the President of the club to the manager should be held accountable. It was totally irresponsible for them to have missed a glaring error like this one.

2) PLAYERS: I think that the players have to be held accountable to some degree as well. There was not one PAOK player in the Euro 2004 tourney, so to argue that they were tired doesn't fly. We were talking about the Champion's League here. I would have thought that the players would have been so pumped for this...but in the end, didn't come out to play and put the biscuit in the basket. You can't win if you don't score goals.

3) TRANSFERS: Or should I say "...lack of them". Look, I understand the financial peril that PAOK finds itself in. I know they're currently in a world of hurt when it comes ot cash, but the fact that they didn't make any credible signings this past summer to bolster their lineup for the CL campaign is just plain dumb as far as I'm concerned. Why spend money on players like Maladenis, Atmatsidis, Loukas, etc... when there are quality players already filling those positions and that money could be better spent elsewhere on a player like a Lymberopoulos. It boggles my mind to even think that Anastasiadis thought he could carry on through the CL with the current team roster.

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to bitch about that I perceive to be PAOK's lack of clear direction. I truly hope they bounce back and go far in the UEFA Cup tourney and the A' Ethniki.

I did not expect PAOK to do much yesterday's game. They were in bad shape psychologically after what happened in the 1st game.

Like Batigol states, the PAOK organization approached the CL campaign completely wrong. They gambled thinking that they would easily go through to the group stage, specially after they learned their opponent.

I think the main reason for the failure is the way that PAE PAOK is being run. You can't have Anastasiadis running everything from coaching to financial matters. PAE PAOK should be set up as a business, where everyone would be accountable for their actions. Let Anastasidis coach the team, and let the front office worry about the finances. Dratic chances need to be made on how PAOK is run.

As far as the rest of the season is concerned, I don't think this reflects on how the season will go. Those were just two games and I am sure the team can pick up and have a decent season. Last season everybody expected PAOK to place under 8th place and we finished 3rd. I don't see anything different this season. I think once again we will end 3rd or 4th. The top and 2nd spot have allready been secured by PAO and Olympiakos.

:D did you see the group you missed?! (don't be upset at me, you know my team Maccabi Haifa lost the Rosenborg game in the 90th min, i'm as sad as you are.... hell i'm 100 times sadder)

geee just think what those teams would have made out of your team... goals coming in from everywhere.

and i missed arsenal... and Itzhak shum...

I just read that Maccabi Tel Aviv played with only 10 men from the 65 minute on, and still PAOK could not score a goal.

Congrats to Maccabi Tel Aviv for making it to the next stage of the Champions League.

Yes, Maccabi played with 10 men for at least 20 minutes. By that time the PAOK players were so devastated (or did not relly care much) to try and do something. The team is in bad shape psychologically. Something has to be done to turn things around.

Ziaka, what you think the team can do right now to turn things around?

Can we afford to get a good player of stature? Does PAOK currently have a team leader?

Now with Salp playing on the national team, we'll probably be without him at potentially critical times, which is bound to hurt PAOK's chances in the Greek League... Then again Oly, and PAO will be dealing with the same issues...

Well I don't think we can sign new players untill the next transfer period, which is in January 2005. Even then I don't see us going for any big shots such as Tsiartas, Lakis, unless they drop their salary demands drastically. And even if we want them now, there is no CL lure for them to come to PAOK. I really don't know what Anastasiadis can do to turn things around, but somehow he has to motivate the players he has to give their best.

The first few games of the championship will show where we stand. I don't think it will be easy for PAOK. Our only good player, Salpiggidis will be very tired the first few games. He had to constantly shuffle between PAOK and the Olympic team, even playing two games in two days. There is nobody that will pick up the slack. We might not have anybody upfront to score. Amaefule is not the answer. This guy should not even be on the team.

I think the big mistake that Anastasidis made was loaning all the promising younsgters such as Eleftheriadis, Konteon, to other teams. I wish he would have kept them on the team and gave them some playing time.

Archived