Phantis Forums

*Ilias Iliadis wins Gold in Judo*

Ioanna

So... as of today, the news mainly for Greek achievements:

Greek wins gold in judo

Athens, Greece (Sports Network) - Ilias Iliadis captured Greece's second gold medal of the 2004 Olympics with a thrilling victory over Roman Gontyuk of the Ukraine in the men's under 81kg category in judo on Tuesday. :box:

Dmitri Nossov of Russia and Flavio Canto of Brazil shared the bronze medal.

Japan's Ayumi Tanimoto won gold in the women's under 63kg category, while Austria's Claudia Heill took the silver. Urska Zolnir of Slovenia and Driulys Gonzalez of Cuba each took home bronze medals.

It was the fourth gold medal for Japan in judo at these Summer Games.

For Iliadis, a 17-year-old originally from Georgia who stepped up in weight and is trained by his father, Nikos, it was a dream come true.

"As I grew up I became heavier," said Iliadis. "That is why I changed a category. Results come with training. I dedicate this medal to my family and all the Greeks."

Earlier on Tuesday, Argentine judoka Daniela Krukower was seriously injured when she faced Tanimoto in the semifinals. Krukower, the 2003 world champion, tried to avoid a move of Tanimoto's and fell badly, hitting her right shoulder.

http://sports.chron.com/default.asp?c=chro.../BON3433909.htm

Also in:

Volleyball (men) ~ Greece won over Poland, and they go through to the next round! I watched the whole of this game and was jumping off the couch every few seconds; an amazing game, well done to the lads :tup:

Polo (men) ~ Greece won over Spain, and they go through the next round!

Basketball (men) ~ Greece lost to USA (6 points difference in score), but we can still make it to the next round! Many mistakes tonight, we could have won this game, but oh well... well done to the Americans!

Tennis (women, singles) ~ Lena Daniilidou for Greece won and goes through! (She happens to be from Thessaloniki, and her previous coach is now mine!)

Swimming relay (men) ~ Gold for USA, Silver for Australia, Bronze for Italia, Greece came 8th... but well done to the boys for the effort and for making it to the final! :)

Moreover, big hopes for gold medals for Nikos Kaklamanakis in wind-surfing (he was the one who lit the Olympic Flame in the stadium on the Opening Ceremony, for those who dont know or dont remember!), and for sailing! Watch this space! ;) Finally, the beach-volley duet Karantasiou-Sfiri are through to the next round!

And big up to the Romanian girls for taking the gold in gymnastics, they were awesome. I think USA came 2nd, aka silver medal.

Ok, what else did i watch today... *scratching head*

So... as of today, the news mainly for Greek achievements:

Greek wins gold in judo

Athens, Greece (Sports Network) - Ilias Iliadis captured Greece's second gold medal of the 2004 Olympics with a thrilling victory over Roman Gontyuk of the Ukraine in the men's under 81kg category in judo on Tuesday. :box:

Dmitri Nossov of Russia and Flavio Canto of Brazil shared the bronze medal.

Japan's Ayumi Tanimoto won gold in the women's under 63kg category, while Austria's Claudia Heill took the silver. Urska Zolnir of Slovenia and Driulys Gonzalez of Cuba each took home bronze medals.

It was the fourth gold medal for Japan in judo at these Summer Games.

For Iliadis, a 17-year-old originally from Georgia who stepped up in weight and is trained by his father, Nikos, it was a dream come true.

"As I grew up I became heavier," said Iliadis. "That is why I changed a category. Results come with training. I dedicate this medal to my family and all the Greeks."

Earlier on Tuesday, Argentine judoka Daniela Krukower was seriously injured when she faced Tanimoto in the semifinals. Krukower, the 2003 world champion, tried to avoid a move of Tanimoto's and fell badly, hitting her right shoulder.

http://sports.chron.com/default.asp?c=chro.../BON3433909.htm

Also in:

Volleyball (men) ~ Greece won over Poland, and they go through to the next round! I watched the whole of this game and was jumping off the couch every few seconds; an amazing game, well done to the lads :tup:

Polo (men) ~ Greece won over Spain, and they go through the next round!

Basketball (men) ~ Greece lost to USA (6 points difference in score), but we can still make it to the next round! Many mistakes tonight, we could have won this game, but oh well... well done to the Americans!

Tennis (women, singles) ~ Lena Daniilidou for Greece won and goes through! (She happens to be from Thessaloniki, and her previous coach is now mine!)

Swimming relay (men) ~ Gold for USA, Silver for Australia, Bronze for Italia, Greece came 8th... but well done to the boys for the effort and for making it to the final! :)

Moreover, big hopes for gold medals for Nikos Kaklamanakis in wind-surfing (he was the one who lit the Olympic Flame in the stadium on the Opening Ceremony, for those who dont know or dont remember!), and for sailing! Watch this space! ;) Finally, the beach-volley duet Karantasiou-Sfiri are through to the next round!

And big up to the Romanian girls for taking the gold in gymnastics, they were awesome. I think USA came 2nd, aka silver medal.

Ok, what else did i watch today... *scratching head*

Ioanna

I heard most of these events on Era Spor because unfortunately here in Australia all they show is Swimming, Swimming and Swimming.

Poso tha ithela na imouna stin Ellada.

Archived