Phantis Forums

Men's football: Greece 0 - Mali 2

Ioanna

Who watched this game and what is your opinion?! I was at the Kaftatzogleio Stadium tonight, and we all felt like banging our heads on the wall. Mali played some great football, whereas our boys unfortunately bear no resemblance to the Euro 2004 NT Champions. Mali's 1st goal came on the bloody 2nd minute of the match, and the 2nd goal on the 1st half of the game. Our football was disgraceful, i honestly dont see us beyond the next round. :tdown: There were some good opportunities to score but they were lost, but still Mali exceeded our level of team unity and technique. It sounds bad but people started leaving the stadium well before the end of the game. <_< And like as if this wasnt enough for us to bear, we won a penalty during the 2nd half's extra time (literally seconds before the end of the game!!), which was shot above the bar. :tdown:

I dont know what Apostolakis and his players were thinking; that Otto's men won the European Championship by chance?!! :angry: Didnt they learn anything from what Otto and his men have to teach as a team?!!

*rolling eyes*

Being Greek and a Euro 2004 Champion doesnt automatically win you the next game. :la:

Apostolakis is the man for many many many reasons, but as a coach he is no good. The under 21 team needs someone with a little more discipline like Anastasiadis.

Whether it was apostolakis or anstasiadis, then end result would still have been the same. the only difference would have been the excuse they would have given. Apsotolakis blames preparation, and anastas..panagia.

Regardless of what we think of the players as individuals, as a team they cannot perform, and there wasnt sufficient enough time to prevent that. It cannot be compared to the euro, rehagel picked the same full squad all the time to make them a team,. Greece's olympic team does not have that luxury.

Greek football has always been like that, and unless the preparartion time/friendlies/competitions is more (like the euro team), they will always fail.

Plus mali, isnt a crap team, they are good, and difficult to devise a match plan against them as they are unpredictable.

I believed in the greek squad, but not the team, the only way i thought we could go well, was from individual brilliance of a few players.

they were a disgrace.

Apostolakis has them playing fairly well but still is retarted for lineup selection.

i cant beleive they couldnt fill the kaftazoglio - for the greek team for the OLYMPICS IN THE ONLY EVENT THE CITY (Thessaloniki) GETS. thats pathetic and disapointing that it seems they dont give 1/2 s%$#! about the games there.

And now theyre out because Korea won Mexico- its really doubtful we can make it especially at this pace.

Whether it was apostolakis or anstasiadis, then end result would still have been the same. the only difference would have been the excuse they would have given. Apsotolakis blames preparation, and anastas..panagia.

:lol: :lol:

they were a disgrace.

Apostolakis has them playing fairly well but still is retarted for lineup selection.

i cant beleive they couldnt fill the kaftazoglio - for the greek team for the OLYMPICS IN THE ONLY EVENT THE CITY (Thessaloniki) GETS. thats pathetic and disapointing that it seems they dont give 1/2 s%$#! about the games there.

And now theyre out because Korea won Mexico- its really doubtful we can make it especially at this pace.

Team work = 0; the few good chances we had was some poor attempts also associated with luck. As for the stadium not being filled up, i dont even know what to say. Its not even about football only, its the... weird mentality of some people who have the money but still dont realise that these Olympic Games in Greece is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see. (U can tell when they realise whatta great event this is, as soon as they watch one game or the opening ceremony live, they run to the box offices right after!! :lol: ). These are historical moments for Greece, they are missing it all and they're gonna regret it later. And u go downtown Salonica (and elsewhere in Greece) and u see people hanging out in cafes and clubs instead *rolling eyes* ... like as if theres no gonna be another chance on a later date for them to carry on with their usual lifestyle. :rolleyes: Oh well, its all about one's priorities; personally (and even though im a girl), i prefer the stadiums at this point, thank you very much!

So now we're not even gonna make it to the next round?! LOL :rolleyes: ahhh... Rehagel must be cracking up :rolleyes: I guess now we know how Cristiano Ronaldo feels when the rest of his team (well... besides Rui Costa and 1-2 more) doesnt match his league!! Maybe we should start crying too :lol:

Disapointing game....not playing as a team at all, well our chances of getting a metal are very slim now. Who knew that Greece would lose against Mali???? I for sure didn't. I thought Greece would still play good, after all...they did tie with Korea...oh well better luck next game....

i thought we played terribly aand we deserved to lose, but primarily, african teams have an advantage over many other countries...generally, african males' develop much sooner and bigger then europeans or asians...it is in their body type and structre that their bodies develop earlier then other races...since this is u-23, man of the players are not wuite built completely et where as the africans are further ahead in the development of their bodies...this is evident because after watching ghana and mali, the majority of them were faster and stronger then the opposition...im not making excuses and by no means is this a racsist comment but it is fact that primarily, africans bodies develop quicker...just an interesting fact to tihnk about

We dont give excuses for greeces failure...we only give reasons.

thats a load of bullshit.

an excuse is a reason

but its not significant enough to be truthful or meaningful.

saying that Mali won the game because they are more matured in africa is a plain excuse. physically maybe its true but greeces players are more matured - and in that game they didnt really give much of an effort for a full 90 mins. - salpi is ok- he still hasnt had much time to rest and he went the full 90.

REASON:An underlying fact or cause that provides logical sense for a premise or occurrence

EXCUSE: An explanation offered to justify or obtain forgiveness

A subtle, yet big difference, buddy!!

The simple fact is your are talking as though mali is a pathetic team....and they are not.

When i said we give reasons, it was not in reference to what pao123 said. i was talking in general!!

A load of bullshit is the sudden high expectations you have for this greek team. Yes they are decent, yes they can be competitive, but they are not yet good enough, regardless who was coaching, and regardless which other players they should have picked.

Are you forgetting that for our euro team, to perform most had too be based outside of greece??

These guys still have a fukd mentality, and it cant just change instantly cause we won a euro.

African bodies do develop quicker, its a medical fact, and dont dispute its relevance, noone used it as an excuse, its merely another thing to talk about. If you follow any youth tournaments, over the past decade as have i, you will realise that this does have an effect, whether small or large.

Here in Australia theyre only showing the Australian games and all the Qtr Finals, Semi Finals, 3/4 place and the Final.

From what I have been reading sounds like the greek olympic team are not performing to all expectations. And it's not as if the got drawn against high profile nations.

Apostolakis is a crap coach so that doesen't help. I still think they have a chance to qualify for the quarters if they beat Mexico.

DISTIXOS PAIDIA APOKLEISTIKAME STO PODOSFAIRO!! E, me tetoiou epipedou paixnidi, ti perimenane... :huh:

On a happier note, the Greek NT "real deal" ( B) ) is playing a friendly game with Baros & Rosicky's Czech Republic in Prague tomorrow evening. :box: Everyone ready for some Euro 2004 dejavous? :lol: Dellas, Nedved & Smitcher injured, Nikolaidis busy with AEK, Papadopoulos with the Olympic football squad (well, not anymore :rolleyes: )

9:15pm, ALPHA channel (Greek tv)

Archived