Phantis Forums

The Departures

The2ndMouse

POPOV

Crvena Zvezda plump for Popov

Tuesday, 22 June 2004

F.Y.R. Macedonian international Goran Popov has signed a five-year deal with Serbo-Montenegrin champions FK Crvena Zvezda.

Failed negotiations

The 20-year-old, who can play either in the centre or left side of defence, spent the last six months at AEK Athens FC, but was allowed to leave for free after contract negotiations failed.

Scoring début

Popov scored on his international début two weeks ago in Macedonia's 4-2 away defeat of Estonia. Popov, who previously played for FK Belasica in the Prva Fudbalska Liga, is the first player to join the club since coach Ljupko Petrovic left last month after winning the championship.

Macedonian greats

The youngster is delighted to be following in the footsteps of so many Macedonian greats at Crvena Zvezda. Players like Petrovic's replacement as coach, Dragi Kanatlarovski, Kiril Dojcinovski, Darko Pancev, Mitko Stojkovski and the Milko brothers all had spells at the club.

'One wish'

"Every boy from Macedonia has just one wish - to play for Crvena Zvezda," the defender said. "I now need to prepare myself to play at the highest level in time for the qualification matches for next season's UEFA Champions League. Trophies will be our aim and I believe that Crvena Zvezda can go from strength to strangth."

From UEFA.com

:xxx: :xxx: :xxx: :xxx: :xxx: :xxx: :xxx: :xxx: :xxx:

This is bad news, as he was one of our bright young stars in the making. We are trying to build a young team around a few experienced players, and Popov would have been a very important part of the team. However, this is his dream, and AEK can't really complain after the way they treated him last year( left him in a hotel). Oh well, hopefully there are some other you tallented defenders out there who will sign for AEK before the season begins. Good luck to Popov, who has a very bright future ahead of him.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a shame that Popov is gone. He could have had a good future with us. :(

I guess he thinks that Red Star is a safer bet then us. They guarentedd him a place in the starting line up and finacialy they do not have any problems like we do.

Archived