Phantis Forums

Zenga to coach Aigaleo?

MikeS

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2004/04/2.../439720-ap.html

Italy's Zenga seeks coaching deal with surprise Greek club

ATHENS (AP) - Italian coach Walter Zenga is negotiating with Aegaleo to take over the club that has jumped to the top tier of Greece's first division, according to reports Wednesday.

"I've visited Greece recently and had a talk with the club's president for possible co-operation," the newspaper SporTime quoted the former Italian goalkeeper as saying.

If a deal is reached, Zenga would will replace Giorgos Hatzaras who will leave the league's surprise club at the end of the season.

"I want to work in Greece . . . If they want me they can communicate with me," said Zenga, who last coached Romania's National Bucharest.

Zenga was travelling and couldn't immediately be reached for comment.

The newspaper said that Aegaleo's owner, Thomas Mitropoulos, favours Zenga's hiring but his financial demands were high for the club. No other details were given.

Hatzaras took over the Athens suburban club in 1999 and promoted it to the first division two years later.

Aegaleo is fourth in the 16-team standings and already has gained a berth in the UEFA Cup for the first time in its 73-year-old history.

this is 50/50 in my opionion, i heard that Giorgos Hatzaras had decided last Christmas not to extend his contact!!! if thats true then they should try n sighn him but i would still try to retain the services of Giorgos Hatzaras!!! loook what his done!!

*Giorgos Hatzaras, who took the club's helm in 1999 and got them promoted two years later to the top division, and this season already gained a berth in the UEFA Cup next season. The club sit in fourth-place in the Greek league, five points adrift of third the Champions League qualifying spot.

i say keep Giorgos Hatzaras if posible, if not then go with Zenga

Archived