Phantis Forums

Michal Papadopulos (Energie Cottbus)

Ziaka

• 7 months later...

Michal Papadopulos is part of the Czech U21 team that is taking part in the U21 European Championships played in Netherlands. Today the Czechs played against England (0-0), but Michal did not play in the game.

For those that have access to ESPN Deportes, they are showing the U21 European championships. Papadopulos is playing for the Czech U21 team. Check him out. He should play today agains Serbia. Kicko-off time is 16:15 GMT.

Michal scored the one czech goal in the game against Italy, but that was not enough give his team qualification to the semifinals of the U21 European Chmapionships.

Here is a report from UEFA.com:

Papadopulos rues Czech exit

Monday 18 June 2007

by John Mathewsfrom Arnhem

Michal Papadopulos found solace hard to come by as he faced up to the fact he and his Czech Republic team-mates are on their way home from the UEFA European Under-21 Championship after a 3-1 defeat against Italy in Arnhem.

'So exhausted'

Papadopulos breathed life into the Czech cause at the Gelredome when he turned in from close range in the 14th minute to cancel out Alberto Aquilani's stunning free-kick and bring the scores level at 1-1. However, further goals from Giorgio Chiellini and Giuseppe Rossi settled the match in Italy's favour, however, and the 22-year-old Papadopulos cut a tired, dejected figure as he looked back on what might have been. "Right now I'm just so exhausted," he told uefa.com. "Before the tournament we had one objective and that was to make it through this group but we didn't achieve it and we are all so disappointed."

'One-sided situation'

The odds were stacked against the Czechs, who only had one point prior to kick-off but nevertheless had a theoretical chance of making the semi-finals, and Papadopulos insisted their hopes had still been high. He said: "Even before this game we still had confidence that we could go through. As with every match, we went into it thinking we could win it but we were a bit unlucky. First Italy scored a fantastic goal from a free-kick and the most important moment in the game was when they scored their third goal just before half-time. After that it was a one-sided situation."

English dream

Papadopulos is currently with Bayer 04 Leverkusen, though he has only made one Bundesliga start since joining the club from FC Baník Ostrava in January 2006. He had a loan spell at Arsenal FC in 2003/04 without reaching the first team and the striker would like to try his luck in the UK again at some stage. He said: "I will start pre-season with Leverkusen but I would maybe like to go out on loan though I will have to see what the club management wants from me. My dream is to play in England and that's my target for the future but at the moment I have a contract with Leverkusen and I have to put all my efforts into being there."

From UEFA.com

• 4 weeks later...

Na rotiso kati?Prin apo kairo itan to protathlima under 21 stin Ollandia/an thymamai kala/ kai ton eida na paizei enantion tis Italias me ta hromata tis Tsehias

Giati loipon ton ehete sti katigoria Greek players abroad?

Papadopoulos has Greek blood in him. His grandfather was born and lived in Greece. He has a Greek passport. He visits Greece on regular basis. In simple terms, he is of Greek origin. That's why he is listed here.

Now why he plays for the Czech team and not the Greek one, that's a question that needs to be answered by EPO and Gagatsis.

Papadopoulos has Greek blood in him. His grandfather was born and lived in Greece. He has a Greek passport. He visits Greece on regular basis. In simple terms, he is of Greek origin. That's why he is listed here.

Now why he plays for the Czech team and not the Greek one, that's a question that needs to be answered by EPO and Gagatsis.

Nai file ma ehei dikio o Tsalgik. Ivan Kaviedas, Jason Koumas, Stan Lazaridis, etc, are of Greek origin too, but they arent listed here. Also, if Papadopoulos chose to play for the Czechs thats not EPO's fault. Epo can be blamed for not taking someone like Castillo, but when a Greek decides to play for someone else he absolves himself of his nationality not the other way around, so EPO cant be blamed.

Hey DUDE, the players you mentioned can be listed here. All that needs to be done is for somebody to open the particular topic. If you want to see them listed, open the topic.

As for EPO's fault, there are many players that expressed their desire to wear the Greek NT jersey. I know for a fact that Papadopoulos expressed that desire in the past. There are other examples. Masmanidis comes to mind. It might not be EPO's direct fault, but they could use some kind of strategy in this regard.

Just because some player decided to play for another NT does not change the fact that he has Greek blood in him, and for that reason they will continue to be listed here.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are Australian/Greek players playing in Australias A-League - which is becoming excellent and attracting very good attendences like 20,000 - 40,000.

They are

Michael Valkanis (Adelaide United)

Lucas Pantelis (Adelaide United)

Michael Theoklitos (Melbourne Victory)

Steve Pantelidis (Melbourne Victory)

Stan Lazaridis (Perth Glory)

Nikolas Tsattalios (Sydney FC)

Costa Barbarouses (Wellington Phoenix -NZ)

Im sure there will be some in USA, Canada, UK etc. But i dont thinks its a good idea to write about them because phantis will get overcrowded with useless crap from many users all over the world. They are no use to our national team.

But on the other hand it is good to see how well players who are proud of their greek heritage are doing. I really respect you as a member and your posts have been excellent as i have been read many in several topics. however i think this one is a little bit pointless..

Guest TheLegend

There are Australian/Greek players playing in Australias A-League - which is becoming excellent and attracting very good attendences like 20,000 - 40,000.

They are

Michael Valkanis (Adelaide United)

Lucas Pantelis (Adelaide United)

Michael Theoklitos (Melbourne Victory)

Steve Pantelidis (Melbourne Victory)

Stan Lazaridis (Perth Glory)

Nikolas Tsattalios (Sydney FC)

Costa Barbarouses (Wellington Phoenix -NZ)

Im sure there will be some in USA, Canada, UK etc. But i dont thinks its a good idea to write about them because phantis will get overcrowded with useless crap from many users all over the world. They are no use to our national team.

But on the other hand it is good to see how well players who are proud of their greek heritage are doing. I really respect you as a member and your posts have been excellent as i have been read many in several topics. however i think this one is a little bit pointless..

1st time ever 2 agree with

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Argy locked this topic

Archived