Phantis Forums

Foreign Press on Athens 2004

Ziaka

the bad press and negativity continues in australian papers and on radio airwaves.

it seems anglo-saxon australians can not fathom any games eclipsing sydney, or perhaps, are simply upset they are no longer in the lime-light.

the bad press and negativity continues in australian papers and on radio airwaves.

it seems anglo-saxon australians can not fathom any games eclipsing sydney, or perhaps, are simply upset they are no longer in the lime-light.

That's what I think is going on also. I really think that the Aussies want Athens to be a failure. They must be worried about it somehow overshadowing the games in Sydney. I personally think that these games will be the best of all time, but we shall see. :box:

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Fellow Greeks,

The Australian media has been very criticial of Athens 2004 peperations, ..not to mention the ignorance of the anglo-saxon public. I was born in Sydney and had the pleasure of attending the olympic games in my own backyard. I had a great time during the games but it was not to say without its problems. On my way to the final night of athletics (tickets cost $450Aus) our train stoped and we were told to get out and catch a bus due to a train derailment up ahead. Eventualy after much confusion and about 30 minutes , we got told to get back on the train. Beats me what had happend. All i know is that i got to the athletics late. NOT happy. Of course, not one newspaper or television stationed mentioned this.!! what a suprise.

I was also a bit upset with the last day of rowing events, Wind conditions remained the same all day yet they waited until late in the afternoon to start the events..... which meant if you wanted to catch the closing ceremony you had to leave rowing before it even started!!! ah well, the media didnt really pay much attention on this and focused on the closing ceremony..

My boss at work (irish/austrlian) still thinks the olympic stadium is tiny at 50,000 even though i have told him i have been to the olympic stadium before and it fits more like 80,000!!! He even talks about the turks being in greece for 400 years but doesnt undertand that the british are still are in ireland and that greeks ruled many lands for hundreds and hundreds of years.. This my fellow Greeks is common of the anglo stock in Australia. I put it all down to jealousy. They are hoping and wishing that Athens isnt as good as sydney. I dont think the olympic spirit did its job in australia.

After reporting that olympic tickets sales have surpased sydney by 20% at the same stage 4years ago, A news reporter on channel 7 in australia laughed on air and said that this was very very hard to believe!!! how unprofessional.

Speaking of unprofessional the very same station (which has the olympic telecasting rights in australia) was covering the recent arrival of the olympic flame. Just as the olympic cauldron was once again be lite by local hero Steve Waugh they went to a COMMERCIAL BREAK. what a joke. !!! And they say greeks cant get organised. case closed.

I cant wait to arrive in athens in August and see Greece host and ENJOY the olympic games.

GO GREECE, GO ATHENS AND GO THE OLYMPICS

savas

sydney ausrtralia

Thanks Savas

I can't believe how much negative crap is flying around. I didn't know about the 20% improvement in performance of ticket sales. That's good news. Do you have a source/link? I would like to share that. I have noticed that the Murdoch media (News Corp) are bashing the games. I don't understand why. Sydney was great and Athens will be great. Athens has potential to be greater because of the history but does it matter? People can't remember where the last games even were, how are they going to compare them. Anyway, thanks for the info. Harry

...I have noticed that the Murdoch media (News Corp) are bashing the games. I don't understand why. ...

You are not the only one that has notice that. Even foreign media have commented on that (like "The Observer").

I remember reading in Eleftherotypia that Greek lawyers have brought a lawsuit against Murdoch for some of the Times articles back in 2000 or 2001 I don't remember.

HArry,

regarding the 20% ticket sales..... if you check the old press releases on www.athens2004.com you should find info on ticket sales..

Another thing i forgot to mention was the way the small bombings in athens were reported in Austrlia. They made it out like the games security was crap because of an alienated and non related bombing. Austrlia increased travel warnings to Greece. Maybe the Aussie government should increase warnings to visitors to australia as they are high on Terrist hit list of nations due to the alliance with the USA in iraq.

The aussies immediately said that they wanted to send there own ARMED guards to athens to protect the aussie athletes. The funny thing is , all this happend a week after they said they would refuse Greek armed security guards to enter australia to protect the Torch in the relay. How ironic !

Go greece in euro 2004 .

opa

Archived