Phantis Forums

FOSTIRAS and PANACHAIKI

dave

Hello

Can someone explain me the situation of the teams Fostiras and Panachaiki?

Why they are always 0-2 in every game???

Have they economic problems?

Will they be relegated in third division at the end of the season?

Thank you very much

dave

They have been eliminated from the B' Division for failing to comply with financial obligations. All of their games have been forfeited. They will be relegated to C' Division, but if the law was followed to the letter they should have been dropped to the D' Division.

Both teams are still awaiting a court decision that might reverse their fate, but that is not very likely.

Panachaiki was still fighting the decision, but it looks like they gave up. They released all their professional players this Friday. Fostiras did that several days ago.

So even if they win the appeal on the 10th of February, they will not have a competative team.

And with the current situation, I don't see how Panachaiki and Fostiras will meet the requirements this summer to participate in the C' division. My opinion is that they will be dropped to D' division during the summer.

I don't know anything about Fostiras, but Panahaiki is an important team in Greec (am i wrong?), it also played in Coppa Uefa in 1973-1974, it's strange to see this team in a so difficult situation

Now the players released by the two team can play for others team in a,b or c divison?

Most of the players found place in other teams in B, C Division. Fostiras had a very good team this year, so a lot of teams wanted players from him.

You are right about Panachaiki. Espesially the period that you talk about (middle 70's) it was a really good team. Panachaiki represents the city of Patra, which is the 4th-5th biggest city in Greece. Fostiras is from Athens, and he has played several season in the A' division, but not in the past 20 years or so.

Who knows, it might be better in the long run. Both teams have supporters and without any depts they can be back in 2-3 years.

• 1 month later...

There were some rumors that Panachaiki and Patraikos may merge. Do you know if this is true?

Interesting. There are all kind of rumors of teams merging for the upcoming season.

Also heard the Halkidona/Ethnikos Piraeus merger rumor the other day, and also Aris/Kassandra (if Aris gets relegated and Kassandra promoted) or Kassandra/Olympiakos Volos merger rumors.

Can't say that such scenarios will happen, but it might be one way to get the teams back to good financial standings.

BTW AXAIOS, welcome to the forums.

Interesting. There are all kind of rumors of teams merging for the upcoming season.

The majority of these rumors arise from the fact that there are teams with a lot of fans but high depths and teams of good finincial and league status but 100-300 fans. I think that most of them are just going to stay rumors. ;)

Archived