Phantis Forums

Greece v Bosnia

js1000

Not a horrible result considering that Greece has some injuries and Salpi is not 100 percent.

Aside from the two misses only one thing really bothered me, Mitro took a shot with about 8 minutes left from the angle and he had plenty of time to see Samaras right on the centre dot. It was an easy pass and Samaras would have scored.

A little too selfish for me by Mitro.

Karagounis does not need to play, Greece is looking for new leaders. Kara will be 37 or 38 come World Cup time. I'd also keep Gekas on the bench and only use him as an extra scorer when required.

Time to focus on the next game at, I believe, Slovenia. Not a gimme but Greece is the better team and should prevail.

When Greece plays at Bosnia-H, they need to be completely healthy.

our "d" played a good game.....we respected their o to much and a result our forwards had little help....

we should have won this game....much better and cleaner scoring chances, and overall we outplayed them.....

their d is not very good.....i could see how their o can be dangerous but we shut them down...

we are a better team - no doubt in my mind...

where is nini? torosidi invisible......gekas just taking time away from mitroglou.....time to get him more time.....fourtouni real deal.....

jar, yes saw that...lot of room up top...also spiro on the left had a great chance.....no elevation on the shot.....bosnia should take their golaie out for a night on the town, he saved their asses...

Some chances we needed to bury, and the Bosnian keeper Begovic played very well, big save on, I think it was Salpi. It's Slovakia next, Cyprus lost to Slovenia today

santos should have been more adventurous, why is maniatis playing right midfield with ninis on the bench and kone not even in the squad. salpi shouldn't have come on before mitroglou and ninis should have been involved.

samaras was our best player tonight his link up play and movement was a different level to the rest, papastathopoulos was very accomplished and malezas looked as though he'd played 50 games for greece, gutted to lose him injured, a very good option for us at the back.

slovakia now becomes a must win game

fetfa samaras (floater) salpi

nins fourtounis tsiolis

pap pap malezas torosidis

chiotis

subs: kara kats maniatis spryro taxidis kone gekas chritodo fotakis holebas avram and whoever else....

thats your best lineup - put them in and let them play together ----- good penetration on each side to go deep ....let samara and nin fourtouni box to box....torosidi and pap can also push up .....................with tsioli pap malezas toro back if/when needed....

do it already

The chances came but we didn't score.

If any team deserved to win, it was Greece but a draw isn't the end of the world.

Better luck next time!

Not the end of the world but pretty much the end for Greece. The people who are running the NT are apparently a bunch of clowns who treat it like its a gang. Is that what they are? Gangsters? No matter what happens to Kats, Santos, his very close friend, will play him. And if Kara decides he wants to play at the age of 50, Santos will play him. I seriously don't think this kind of nonsense is going down in any other country in the world. If you can name one, please do but not calling up a player like Fetfatzidis is like Ghana not calling Essien. Or Italy not calling Pirlo.

The shame is we have some really dynamic talent that will go to waste if this sh it continues. I'd like to see them win a WC, and we can do it but the right players have to be there. Its not going to happen w/ Santos! It'll just be more second rate crap football. And we're not second rate!

clove, good rant.....but consider that the chances we created against Bosnia were three clean excellent chances and two very good ones....I saw glimpses of offensive football that I have not seen (its not like we stole a pass or deflections or some other type of chance) Our chances were smart off the ball tactics / attacking open spaces variety and, we simply did not finish....gekas/salpi bury those 8 of 10 ten times.....but putting them in that position is the positive i cam away with.....not to mention spyropoulos onm the left and torosidi also hitthing the post.....if on those plays the mids push up, there is ssssoooo much space at the top of the box to pass it back to for a clear short range shot.....

but our transition game especially in midfield with fourtounis/tsiolis provides some build up attack that has been lacking...its not just long range donkey ball in the middle and hope for the best....

now if santos wants to accentuate that style he needs to put the guys in that can do it. an attacking / box to box midfielder with go forward instincts (ala gianakopoulos) would help tremendously - kone/taxidis maybe)

I would puts kats in the back to replace mazellas, nini/fourtouni/tsioli ----- samaras salpi fet (we know fet not happening !@#$^&*()(*&^%^%$$##!)

our ball retention is a lot better under santos, having said that kara and kats being mates with santos is preventing players like kone and tachtsitis being involved and thus greece progressing.

as for fets how can you pick him when he doesn't play for his club side.

because he adds a dimension that we dont have --- at all.......not playing for his club? who does Kats play for?

look every coach has his own philosophy about how to play but the key is adapt the style of play to the talent that is available......if santos wants more ball retention - i agree with you on this point - who better to "retain" the ball than fetfa? regardless of wether he is playing...bring him on the team and let him at least become acclimated to the style of play....

santos is in love with holebas and maniatis.....two guys that i think have not shown anything extraordinary....in fact if u recall holebas got burned when he was on the left side a few games ago...

the addition of fourtouni and tsili and emergence of samaras has made the biggest difference , in my opinion....tsioli is tough and actually a deep playmaker while still defensively solid....fourtouni is the next number "10" without question and samara cant be muscled off the ball anymore.....add nini, an attacking mid and creative fetfa and u have a real offensive threat to be respected.

if we play anything near like we did against bosnia we gonna put at least two in the goal tomorrow...

our ball retention is a lot better under santos, having said that kara and kats being mates with santos is preventing players like kone and tachtsitis being involved and thus greece progressing.

as for fets how can you pick him when he doesn't play for his club side.

I'm not denying the chances that were created in this game and the bad luck but if he had started guys like Ninis think of how many more chances we would have had that certainly would have resulted in a goal! And if I were coach I would say to OLY screw you, I'm playing Fetfa no matter what because I know the guys ability. If they don't give him the playing time then I WILL.

That said, if I had to use the players that were called up for this game I would have started Ninis in the middle, Tziolis behind him, Salpi where he does best as a right winger, Fortounis on the left and Samaras/Mitro up front.

yeah its strange......maybe santos thinks he holds on to the ball tooooo much....(half joking here)

but there are selfish players that DETRACT from team play.....mitroglou had a brain fart in the bosnia game by not passing theball back to samara at the top of the box....samara had all the room in the world, nobody within 10 feet of him.....this is an effectieve role for him, drift back forth....but its useless if the wings dont see him or dont pass it back....also, remember teamates have to anticipate your moves, so when fetfa has the ball others must know how/when to "release" themselves within the scheme of the tactics......samara and salpi have it, nini and mitro seem to have it....must you have to play together enough so its instinctual, becuase at this level one second of hesitation is the difference between being a hero or being a goat.

i agree on your lineup.....even without fet we should win this group easily....

Archived