Phantis Forums

Greece vs Poland

Euro2004

Fetfatzidis is slightly annoying today. A player of his class could be destroying their defense, yet he pointlessly keeps possession of the ball at times instead of passing it around.

He's too predictable. He ALWAYS cuts back on to the inside, so if he's playing right wing he cuts on to his left, and vice versa. It's as if he doesn't have belief in his own ability to take on a man down the wing and whip in a cross. Is it because he has a lack of pace and is scared he'll get tackled? Is it because his balance isn't evenly matched when running with the ball? Either way it's a major weakness. Look out for it and you'll see he always does it.

Did you see that just now? (73 mins) as an example? Fetfa is one on one with a defender, if he takes it down the right hand side he's through if he can beat the defender, instead he tried to cut on to his left and got tackled.

Yup, just noticed it. Good observation!

we need the little extra in the midfield to get the goals...we really need players like fetz and ninis to step up a bit. ninis has been poor recently and fetz has simply not been playing...mitroglou needs to just play at a bit of a higher level..he needs to just raise his game slightly, become more involved and he will then be ready for the NT..

what a miss from vyntra at the end...overall this game was very lackluster, both teams looked rather uninspired..i dont understand why we play kara in matches like this...santos should use these games to try different things in the midfield...for kone to be more useful he needs better support from a holding midfielder...he can help in a more advanced role..samaras needs to step up his game big time for the nt..

its really a shame players like gekas and kyrgiakos arent with us anymore.. :tdown:

pao123 i'm not sure they are capable of stepping up right now. Fetfa is very inexperienced and Ninis is limited in my opinion. Think of the 2004 team and even the team that missed out on the following world cup, would Ninis or Fetfa get in ahead of people like Karagounis and Giannakopoulos? No way. We are lacking talent right now because we've been in a transitional phase. The older talented players like Karagounis and Katsouranis are past it, but perhaps the younger guys like Fetfa, K.Papadopoulos and Ninis aren't ready to take on the responsibility.

Fetfa is talented but certainly needs to improve significantly and he'll only achieve that if he leaves Greece in my opinion. But regardless of whether he leaves or not there are basic weaknesses the coaching staff at Olympiakos need to address. As I wrote on the day of the game that Fetfa always cuts in, particularly when on the right he cuts in field or onto his left foot. He does not have the confidence or perhaps even the dribbling ability/pace to beat a man down the wing and whip in a cross. We saw it numerous times against Poland and they figured him out and dealt with him comfortably. Even on his highlight reel, look how many times he cuts back or moves the ball towards his left foot because he distributes all his body weight onto his right leg:

30 secs, 1:14, 1:47, 1:51, 2:18

On 1:32 he does go down the right hand side but again look at his stance, he's leaning on his right leg. So he distributes all his body weight on to his right leg, taking it completely out of play. That means the defender has to focus on one leg.

The absolute best example of this though is on 2:08. Look at him leaning on his right leg, looking for a way to cut in field on to his left. He never faces a defender square on to run at him.

This is something he has to address because otherwise he'll never be a top level right midfield play. A right midfielder/winger must have the ability to run down the wing and whip in a cross. Perhaps they should have Zairi work with him on "balance-distribution".

As for Ninis he too needs to work on his dribbling skills but more importantly he needs to be taught how to find space because his movement isn't good enough. He frequently collects the ball and is out-muscled immediately because when he calls for the ball he's too close to an opposition player. He needs to learn to find space between the opposition defence and midfield as well as well increase the volume and quality of his late runs into the box. He just doesn't do that at all and that's why never scores goals. All this is if he plays in the centre of course, if he plays on the wings then he too needs to improve his dribbling ability. Unfortunately, unlike Fetfa, I just don't think he has a natural knack for dribbling or much natural pace so I don't think he'll ever be a top class winger. He needs to develop his game as a central player.

In terms of the national team because we have a lack of talent at the moment we need to have a well organised and highly combative team. The last 2 performances were the complete opposite of that and an absolute disgrace as a result.

they are also 20 years old whilst kara and stelio were around 27/29 and at their peak in our historic win. katsouranis was 23-24. by this time (2/3 years) i hope that ninis and fetz will have improved significantly and will be ready to lead the team...there is still alot of room for them to grow. i know we have disagreements in this deprtament, but what 20 year olds are leaders on their NT? not very many. we agree that we are in a transition, but these players need to begin to develop, from now into leaders.

the point is that these players need to start seeing more time in the national team fold so they can start to adapt to the pressures and just general nature of international play..think of the starting line up in 3 years and HOPEFULLY what it may look like...fetz, ninis, mitroglou, k papadopoulos...the future could be promising but games like the one against poland is an opportunity to try different things out..i want to start seeing santos try some different combinations.

i think we both agree on the fact that all three of these players will be helped by leaving greece...then we will actually see development. i cant understand how fetz gets called up for the NT but struggles to see any minutes at oly..it just shows to me that valverde is not giving enough emphasis on developing fetz..this is evidence by exaclty what youve pointed out above in your analysis of his play...good coaches that develop players will spend specific time with players to worjk on their weaknesses. this does not appear to be happening..

I dont doubt their potential, i'm talking about their current ability. As I said, we're in a transitional phase now. I'm not suggesting they are incapable of reaching that level, but for now they aren't at that level.

You're right about Valverde and it's not the first time he's done this, he basically killed Mitroglou too. I'm an Arsenal fan and my friend and i would compare Mitroglou and Bendtner (both 23) and Wilshiere (19) and Ninis (20). Up until the ages of 18 these players were at least on a par with eachother. If anything, Mitroglou was better than Bendtner and Ninis was at least as promising as Wilshiere. But over the course of the last year or two the Arsenal boys have comfortably over-taken them. Our youngsters need to leave Greece, it's as simple as that. Rumours are that Werder want Fetfa, he should beg Valverde to let him go before it's too late. After all, look how Ozil developed there.

Archived