Phantis Forums

Greece-Israel

Crazy

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At about the 80 minute mark Greece hung onto the ball for a full 2 minutes and almost finished a great play. It didn't happen but the point was they were pushing forward while controlling the play.

Against teams like Israel, Greece has to show that it's capable of doing these types of things.

They haven't put it altogether yet and maybe a couple more player changes are required.

In the end they got the win....2-1 and for the moment they are on top of the group.

Next game vs. Malta ! ! ! :gr: :gr: :gr:

Next 2 games are against Malta so i would like to see us get all the points.

We are on 1st place for now but we need to play a lot better if we want to make it through this group.The last 4 games are the hardest since we play 1 home against Croatia and away against Israel,Latvia and Georgia.Hopefully Santos will have enough time to have the boys ready for those challenges.

Very pleased we got the three points. Fetfatzidis has proven he deserves a spot in the starting line-up and played very well. Kafes created a few good chances in the first half however he was very quite in the second half. Salpigindis played really good and was a goal threat. One thing that bothers me most is that Santos makes very late changes, he needs to realise that our midfield were all over the age of 30 and get tired towards the end.

The fan in me is pleased with the result and some of the attacking football we played, but there's also a part of me that also has numerous concerns from a tactical perspective. Going forward we looked lively in the first half, but they were also abysmal at the back and I'm really not keen on Salpi as a lone striker. He's too small. It worked today in the first half because they were playing a disorganised high line and our through-balls were tearing them apart, but better opposition would have tracked him and dealt with him. So in my opinion the balance is still wrong up front. Defensively we were shambolic and porved we desperately need Kyrgiakos back but Papasta still has an awful lot to learn and Avraam isn't good enough as a defender. I've been saying for a while that I think he should be converted to a holding midfielder (he started off his career as an attacking midfield before being converted to a centre-back) and part of me feels vindicated tonight. At one point he picked up the ball in the midfield position, beat a player and played a beautiful through ball. That showed his ability on the ball. Then two minuted later he showed why he isn't a defender misjudging the flight of the ball when defending. We were more entertaining overall but how effective were we at home to a "below average to mediocre" team?

on Avraam (he started off his career as an attacking midfield before being converted to a centre-back)

If that is true, think of this lineup (assuming all are healthy and willing to play for the ETHNIKI)

------------SIFAKIS/TZORVAS/ELEFTHEROPOULOS

---TOROSIDIS-----KYRGIAKIS--PAPA--TZABELLAS

------------------AVRAAM------TSIOLIS

NINIS----------KARAGOUNIS----------FETFATZIDIS

--------------SAMARAS---SALPIGIDIS

Our defense is extremely solid, fast, strong and can attack and score on set plays. Our two defensive mids do all the work to clean up and support. Our outside mids have the skill and pace to create. Our experienced man in the middle. Two solid strikers that can work together. One is a target man, the other a trigger man.

Archived