Phantis Forums

Standard Liege-Panathinaikos

pao123

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well only 2 of those goals were from counters. The other 2 were Galinovic.

1-0 FT......Thankfully no injuries, lets hope the players get the right rest, because this night was pointless and frustrating as was predictable.

Nothing was accomplished, and it was a stupid move by Nioplias to go out with guns ablazing to push our luck when it already gave us the opportunity to be in this stage to begin with.

We blew a perfect opportunity to let Petropoulos, Clayton, Rukavina and others to prove their worth and give 110% as they wont be playing against OSFP.

Anything less than a convincing performance Sunday and he'll deserve all the blame he gets. If he's confident the team doenst need much time to prepare for this game, thats his call. But if we lose to OSFP, I won't want to see him continue next year as our manager, even if we do continue to take the title.

I disagree. If you take yourself seriously as a "big club" then you go and try to win EVERY game, even the already lost ones. I'm glad he did what he did, and now the same with OSFP. Then you can rest.

If we ever want to get a better image in Europe it won't be by getting a team or two teams in the CL but by playing (and preferably winning) good games!

I disagree. If you take yourself seriously as a "big club" then you go and try to win EVERY game, even the already lost ones. I'm glad he did what he did, and now the same with OSFP. Then you can rest.

If we ever want to get a better image in Europe it won't be by getting a team or two teams in the CL but by playing (and preferably winning) good games!

But, Genome, we have a team with several key players up in age. They can't be playing hard games every 3 days.

Of course, a great team has to go out with guns blazing, but it's not like PAO has a realistic chance of further advancing in the europa league. And, not that the domestic titles have been aplenty lately...

Beat gavroi, win the 2 titles and the fans would be thrilled with this season. I know I will.

My expectations will rise along with the quality & depth of the team.

I too am of the opinion that a champion goes out for winning all the time, everywhere, irrespective of the ramifications of the game.

I just finished reading the "western way of war" and (I think it was) Brasidas" who said to his men that they are not fighting for their country, or for their family and land, they are not fighting for their friend next to them, but for the simple fact that no man can be satisfied to let the man across himself dominate him. I am pa-ra-phrasing like crazy here, and some might not like the quote, but I find it very true.

Winners just want to win. I liked that about our team today. I actually think it's more beneficial for the game against Olympiakos than most think. The fatigue the players suffered in the game is balanced by establishing a rhythm and a forward-moving momentum.

We like to belittle opponents, but Standard had something we didn't: a very (VERY) solid CB corp. We got zero game going down the middle, and even when we wigled our way down the righ and crossed the ball, they easily handled it whether they had superior numbers or not. Good athletes, strong, quick, and with excellent coordination covering each other. Hard to blame Cisse on this one.

Anyway, I bid farewell to Europe and I can't wait for Sunday.

PS: funny how the word pa-ra-phrasing on Phantis becomes "pMelachrinosrasing" :blink: Is there a filter against the word?

I would like to assure everyone here that there are no coffee filters about specific words.

Phantis Karnivore is a program that only associates words with users, their ISP, computer name, GPS, Greenwich time, keystrokes, computer webcam & mic, and hard disk mining. Nothing to be concerned about.

:P

Cyber, stop drinking, man! Look: p a r a p h r a s i n g !

:LOL:

Phantis Karnivore is a program that only associates words with users, their ISP, computer name, GPS, Greenwich time, keystrokes, computer webcam & mic, and hard disk mining. Nothing to be concerned about.

:LOL: :LOL:

There appears to be some word filter set up. Don't know who did it but it's there. As a matter of fact the filter is for "AR

ha ha, Athinaie, if there are kids reading you probably scared the melahrinos out of them. :LOL:

I used to run an invision pb and it installs filters by default. For the most part they are beneficial, and it looks like someone added some greeklish to it.

Well if I was hoping to see the team of 1987 before Vassilis Daniil went off the deep end I was mistaken.

Despite being down 5-0, that team led by Saravakos never gave up. You have to say that Karagounis has triple the heart of Saravakos but only a quarter of the skill. Added to that, that team of Greek players played with their heart. We end up getting guys like Leto or Oly gets Lua Lua or Derbyshire and these guys don't give a damn. They are rejects from bigger clubs. Leto is like Cristiano Ronaldo with his juggling skills, but can't find an open player. Gilberto was rotten and was a liability, Sarriegi played like a schoolboy. Katsouranis did well but drifted out of the game for long periods, even Karagounis didnt look to be in good shape, though he played with passion. I liked Ninis and Vyntra (I have never been a fan), but he tried to make things happen and moved forward. Before transfer insanity, we had a player like Warzycha who was with us from day one and had the wisdom to understand that he would bomb in any other country but Greece and stayed with us, unlike idiots like Zahovic, Ketsbaia, Olisadebe, and Boateng.

We need to tighten up our defence and we need the fighting spirit of Nioplias. In 1987, Daniil was a older than Nikos and managed to galvanize the squad to beat stronger teams--then we fired him and hired that Swede Bengston who messed things up. I am convinced that had we retained Daniile we would have been a finalist or semi finalist in the UEFA Cup.

We had in defence, the strong Vamvacoulas and a young Kalitzakis. Players who could attack like Antoniou, Mavridis, Saravakos, Dimopoulis, Georgakopoulus, Vlachos, Ziach, a super sub like Bachynilas. But that's ancient history now. As a boy I dreamed that Greece would win something and I got my wish in 2004--who knows what he future will bring for our clubs.

You make some good points andrew.

Greek players gave more in Europe for their teams.

However PAO is actually the most Greek team in the superleague.

Almost the whole EURO 04 team was Panathinaikos players, this has been true for years.

I am pleased we got Kara, Giourka, back and signed Katsourani.

I wish that a s s Tzigger would have never given up on our '03 team.

I still miss Kyrgiako...

Imagine him and Melberg as our CBs!

I never liked Daniil.

Manolis Olisadebe on the other hand, played some very good games for PAO.

He had injuries, otherwise he could have been a PAO great.

PAO wasted an amazing opportunity,

just after two historic performances vs Roma.

At least they tried in Liege.

Bye Europa!

PEACE

Archived