Phantis Forums

Panionios-Panathinaikos

trifilli

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PS: Euro, it's a powerful shot out of nowhere. It's hard for the goalie to react when he doesn't see the ball until it's virtually in front of him. No doubt though that a better keeper could have saved that.

agreed entirely...

As for Darlas, I don't remember him well with Malesani, I remember Seric was our LB then.....

Tzavelas is 22 and spend more seasons in first team football then Darlas had at the same age....I'd definitley take Tzavelas over him now...

Also, this goal by Cisse was as much his doing as a GK blunder.

Goalkeeper blunder or not cisse is a great striker and we shouldn't expect anything less from him.

Ninis is the future of Greek football. Those were the words of cisse after our outstanding performance in the stadio olimpico. I know there are big clubs interested in him, but I hope PAO doesn't sell him.

PAO OOOEEEEEE!!!!

Well, opinions are opinions but most football fans I know (and I know a lot from all over the world) agree that Cisse is world-class. Of course, this does not mean that he is as good as Zlatan or Drogba or that he ever was as good: clearly, there are several degrees of world-class.

Correct me gentlemen if I am wrong, but the way refs in Greece blow their whistles is rediculous. During that crap of a game olympiacos played I was watching Liverpool vs Blackburn, a great game btw. The ref only blew his whistle for real fouls. Why can't EPO send our refs for a training seminar in england so they can learn how to do their job and stop their premature whistle blowing ?

Correct me gentlemen if I am wrong, but the way refs in Greece blow their whistles is rediculous. During that crap of a game olympiacos played I was watching Liverpool vs Blackburn, a great game btw. The ref only blew his whistle for real fouls. Why can't EPO send our refs for a training seminar in england so they can learn how to do their job and stop their premature whistle blowing ?

Yes overall they're pretty bad. As an Aektzi I was watching AEK - Ergotelis yesterday to see that Ergotelis were denied a penalty that the whole stadium saw ... good for us of course but far from fair ...

Totally true. In Greece people seem to think that contact = foul. That's why people are always arguing about penalties. It's not about whether one player touches the other or not (this isn't basketball) it's about whether he actually brought him down/physically impeding in an illegal manner. In my opinion that's why Greek teams struggle against English opposition, the tempo is too fast and the play is too physical for them to cope. They just aren't used to it. It will be interesting to see how our u-21s cope away in England this week.

Back to today's game, I'm delighted with a 2 goal lead (don't want to say "win" just yet). This isn't an easy place to go and I was nervous about it

Well, horto (welcome!) let's see what that would entail. Obviously, the pace of the game would be much faster. So, our teams would have to play at least 40 matches at a really fast pace. And the refs should runa around a lot more too. So, what would be the use of being a footballer in Greece if you had to be a real athlete, i.e. quit all the drinking and clubbing and screwing around?

This one fell in the W column.

We didn't play well, and I am trying to find another chance we created. Maybe the one Leto/Salpi, and a corner that was punched out before Salpi could get his head on it.

But I don't care. It's a great win to keep us ahead of the competition, especially after a taxing week.

Nice little move by Ninis (and a stupid move by the defender) and a good shot by Cisse. Panionios had a few decent shots but they never really became threatening in a way that could make us nervous.

Six more games and we are in the driver's seat baby :tup:

I agree about the physicality issue in the Greek game. In the EPL, it is much more physical. Some times it seems a player is wrestled to the ground before the whistle blows. I think the speed in which play transitions from defence to offence, and or moves through mid field is much quicker and organized in the EPL.

Well, Panathinaikos seems to be doing well in Europe against physical teams (Italian and German especially). We have more problems with technical and fast sides (like Spanish ones). I think we are a physical team. But I do agree that refs in Greece just call every contact and little incidental trip, destroying the flow of the game and benefiting the weaker teams.

They do send the greek refs to conferences and training. I just think there is no system that promotes the best to the top (an overall Greek deficiency, but that's another story), and one way or another, teams have too much influence in the organization of KED (central officiating body).

But I do have to say that this season it seems like day and night compared with previous seasons, especially when it comes to calls against Panathinaikos that used to be so blatant in previous years. I am not surprised that big teams like PAO would get the "soft" penalties, especially when they are correct, but I am still surprised how a ref would deny a penalty as blatant as the one Mellberg made today.

The big teams in Greece get more breaks. I believe the problem is that there is no consistency. Ninis leg was bumped by the defender's knee. The intention doesn't matter anymore.

But, you have a case like this and another one today when Melberg commits a classic foul on the Atromitos player in the box for a penalty but it's not called. AEK, too, wasn't penalized for another clear penalty.

Still first place by +2!

Archived