Phantis Forums

AEK - Panathinaikos

cyberfish

Now that Olympiakos cleared the two most difficult games (asside from PAO) with 2 wins, it's up to us to be more convincing and put them on notice.

We must win at AEK. If not our season won't go very far. I am actually glad Olympiakos won both games and is only 2 points behind us. It should be PAO that knocks them out. You know, like in the movies. The hero must slay the dragon. We don't want others to do the dirty work for us. If we can't do it, we don't deserve the title.

If we beat AEK then the superleague is going to be once again a matter of Oly vs. PAO. The other title hopefuls have fallen way behind and AEK will be 3.5 games behind with a loss. Not to mention that a 5x5 would be an excellent way to keep the pressure on Olympiakos. AEK will take this game as a final. If they lose they will be lingering in mid-table.

From what I've seen, Olympiakos plays the worst football they played in years. They will drop more points before Christmas. AEK plays decent ball but they lack depth, especially on defense. The only thing that worries me is that every year we go into the games against AEK with the certainty that we'll take the game, and just about every year AEK manages to take a win or a point one way or another.

Panathinaikos needs to take the field the same way they did against Aris. If we can keep up this kind of intensity in our games it would be hard for other teams to believe they can shave off points from our games.

It will be interesting to see who will start on defense with all the injuries. There is a rumor that Kante might start on the left with Vintra on the right. It might be a better option than Gabriel/Vintra since I personally don't rate Gabriel at all as a defender. But the coach knows better and I'll be supporting the player who's sweating on the pitch. Also, it would be interesting to see if both Karagounis and Ninis would start.

Ninis is in very good form and will probably start ahead of Karagounis. I don't see Bjarsmyr, Gilberto, Katsrourani, Salpi, Leto, Cisse coming off the lineup. Tzorvas will start again as our "genious" fans managed to burn another decent player (Galinovic).

Ten Cate said in an interview that it wasn't the booing that prompted him to start Tzorvas against Aris. He had decided before Galata that he would change the keeper if we didn't do well against Galata. But to relegate Galinovic to third keeper is a bit radical. Personally, I am worried more with Tzorvas in than I worry when Galinovic plays. I guess the kid has to convince me with his games that we can rely on him on crosses and to come off his line in appropriate times. I hope he has a monster game to give him confidence for the rest of the season.

0-4 :P

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I agree with you simperfis, I would like to state my opinion on one thing...

Sundays game means nothing for the championship, if only, gettign AEK to be way back in the race from early on.

The title will be won or lost vs teams like Ergotelis, Giannena, Kavala, Xanthi and so on

there are no such things as easy games.... this will be proven more and more this year

Did someone mention my name???!!! :P

Well, sure, the derbies count double! :rolleyes: Because you're playing your main competitor and you control your future. It means that on that particular day, you take 1 game from your opponent and you put it in your column, so on that day you go one game up... with 1 fewer game to go.

OK, an easy way to understand this is how the Americans count the baseball games! ;)

ohhhhhh, what the hell am I saying?.... :whistle:

PAO has lost championships because we couldn't put away lesser teams, squandering points left and right....

We'll take this from AEK and it will count as 1 win... so if gavroi win too... no difference! ;) But, when we play gavroi, then we better win.

2-3, though I'm not feeling it yet... I want to see the lineup first.

Friday night and the squad looks like another Ten Cate puzzle.

Injured and out: Spyropoulos, Marinos, Darlas, Petropoulos

Not quite ready: Seitaridis.

This leaves us with only one real fullback to cover both the left and the right: Vintra.

The whole team might be shuffled to compensate for the absences. There are reports that Kante might play on the left (heaven forbid) or that Gabriel might play on the right. Whoever plays, Vintra will cover the other spot.

It looks like Tzorvas will start again. I don't rate him higher than Galinovic but at least in the last game against Aris he showed that he has the one thing Galinovic has been lacking: Luck. Let's see what the kid is made of.

I read another creative report that said that Gilberto might play next to Sariegi; Bjarsmyr will play on the right and Vintra on the left. To be hones, this seems much better to me than having players who are not good defensively (Gabriel/Kante) play on defense.

Then there is a report that Simao might start this one. I can see this happening if Gilberto plays CB. Then Simao/Katsouranis is not a bad duo at DM.

Salpi/Leto will play for sure, but there is a Gazzetta report today that Sice might sit this one out in which case Salpi might play CF. This is not as bad as it sounds. It would allow both Ninis and Karagounis to play. They are both in good form while Cisse has been off for a while. But then again, these are the kinds of games that could wake Cisse up.

As always, I think Ten Cate knows best but I would be starting thus:

-------------------Tzorvas------------------

Bjarsmyr---Gilberto--Sariegi----Vintra

-----------Katsouranis--Karagounis-------

Salpigidis-----------Ninis-----------Leto

-------------------Cisse--------------------

I am risking a thin defensive midfield to increase ball control and attacking power. Karagounis and Katsouranis will be exposed in midfield defensively, but when we get the ball we can do some damage :D

Well I cannnot agree at all that this game means nothing, in fact its a quite ridiculous comment.

This game is huge.

Reality: We are competing with OSFP for the Championship.

OSFP has already won 2 big away derbies this year. If we want the championship we've go to match that or we'll fall behind.

OSFP blew ONE game to Kavala, and lets be honest it was bad luck. PAO has had ONE home "derby" with Aris (traditionally the mildest derby opponent) and we had good luck to win it.

Championship is all square if we blow it with AEK, as OSFP face it had 2 huge away derby wins - and if they beat Panionios tonight they will have yet another big away win out of the way for the season. We won't be in the better position than them, and we've got to keep up our streak, not blow it now when the tables are about to turn, it will be demoralizing.

Sure it counts the same as any game, but just like any game we cannot drop points from it. That would mean depending on OSFP to drop points later, which is more likley to be done "away", and with PAOK/AEK derbies already out of the way, candidates to pull it off are not many.

My prediction?

AEK has been humiliated as of late, and i'm worried we will be their "comeback" match. 2-2, hope I am wrong.

Olympiakos plays in Karaiskaki tonight and beating Panionios home or away is not a big deal. But I do agree that they won in two away games that we need to go through as well.

This is the way the Greek championship works: Panathinaikos and Olympiakos are favorites to win every single game and the only iffy ones are in Touba, at AEK and the two derbies between them. Winning at Touba and at AEK automatically puts the two most difficult games behind.

Now, for the team that wins the championship, there are also a few games that they will drop points to small teams either due to bad luck or due to momentary lack of form.

Olympiakos won their two most difficult games with the worst possible performance and they dropped points to a small team with horrid performance. They are unbelievably lucky and we need to match their luck with either luck or stellar performance.

Panathinaikos has done everything right this season so far. Winning at AEK will put Olympiakos back in their place knowing that all their luck (or other) won't be enough this season. If we don't win our idiot fans will eat the team alive with their whining and our season could go every which way.

In that respect, it's a very important game against AEK, but if we don't win it won't be the end of the world. There is a very long season ahead, we have more talent for the first time in many years, and we play better football. Olympiakos plays the way we played under Bake and they will pay for it with more dropped games. Its up to us (players, coaches, management, and above all, fans) to keep our eye on the price and not to cut the team or players at the knees whenever we don't win or play like Barcelona. If we keep our cool this title will be ours no matter what happens tomorrow against AEK.

As a last thought, I am glad they won all these games. It would be fitting that we put them behind with a couple of wins in the games against them. Like in the movies, we must slay the dragon ;)

I see a 3-4 thriller

Ninis, salpi, leto/cisse(if cisse plays he'll score), and kastour!!!!! (97th 40 m screamer!!!!)

AEK is a hungry tiger at the moment, very dangerous. AEK have not been at their best and as far as i know this is a match (at home v pao ) they can "come back".....i can only remember 1 away win v aek in the last few seasons (the 4-0 with that sneaky spaniard manager what was his name???victor munez??)

i think PAO can pull a win but we will need to attack, i dont trust our "d" at all....but we have great strike power, I hope cisse plays, he needs to score in a derby to pick up his ego!!!

BTW what time (greece) is KO?? I assume its on NOVA because its aek's home......ert :( when will they show PAO??? i have yet to see a SL match this year :(........I am going to stream this one for sure!!!!!!! live !!!

BTW what time (greece) is KO?? I assume its on NOVA because its aek's home......ert :( when will they show PAO??? i have yet to see a SL match this year :(........I am going to stream this one for sure!!!!!!! live !!!

It's on at 21:15 GR Time, on N/S1 :).

If we put away AEK*, then only Oly will be our competitor for the title this season.

I have a feeling we'll do very well today.

Too bad we don't have Mantzios to score a couple today! :LOL:

* For Cyber: We're up +5 points from AEK. We win, it's +8. We lose, it's +2. I see a possible 6 point difference in 1 game depending on the result against a main challenger. :P

10'

so far horrible game. One freekick after another. We are waiting for AEK in midfield and we haven't moved the ball at all. Kante is on the left and AEK is testing this area. Gilberto is the only one sprite one. Salpi was pushed in the box a minute ago but too soft of a push to merit a call.

and Leto :)

I thought of Leto as I was writing that but although Leto has been a great addition, he was not an unknown quality....

My point was that we got someone who exceeded the expectations and we didn't overpay.. Remeber Warzycha? :D

It looks like fans don't understand when a handball is a foul and when it's not. Madouka doesn't seem to know either.

BTW, Karagounis has found a lot of light since he moved on the left and we've been controlling the ball for the last 10 minutes, but we haven't been able to get anywhere near the box.

Archived