Phantis Forums

Ziko is the new Olympiakos coach

Crazy

I've been b!tch!ng about the state of Greek soccer/mentality for the past couple of years.

Now they wantto bring back Neri Castillo!! How stupid is that. Just because Gate7 loves him they bring him back.

I'm pretty sure that if Castillo comes back, it will be the end of Zico and this team as we now it. This team will become a circus

The team is already a circus. He would just be adding quality to it. Anyway im all for Castillo. He wont cost much and hes not old.

I think Castillo could be a good transfer IF there's a strong manager who won't put up with his attitude. At this point, nobody listens to Ziko. He's lost his credibility and the owner doesn't care for him either.

What's your team's take on the round 16 of the CL? It's got to worth something. I say if a change is to happen, fire Ziko today. Maybe a new coach can freshen up this team.

I think Castillo could be a good transfer IF there's a strong manager who won't put up with his attitude. At this point, nobody listens to Ziko. He's lost his credibility and the owner doesn't care for him either.

What's your team's take on the round 16 of the CL? It's got to worth something. I say if a change is to happen, fire Ziko today. Maybe a new coach can freshen up this team.

Thats what Im thinking too Athinaios. Maybe 4 yrs on the bench in Russia has taught Castillo his lesson. Hes also older now and may have been humbled. Its not like their paying 8 million for him anyway. Barring a complete collapse by PAO this season is over for Oly and all that can be accomplished is a ticket to Europe next year and a dignified loss in the champions league.

The Champinoship is by no means over yet.

Olympaikos beats PAO (3 points made up)

Pao loses a game to someone strong away and Olypmiakos wins (3 more points)

Another point can be made up here or there. That being said, 1 more collapse by Olympiakos and it will be tough to make uo the 10 points.

What a joke.

First the players didn't like Kespagia b/c he was a task master. There were complaints about him, so Kokalis canned him and brought in Ziko.

The players raved about Ziko. They said they were free.....BLAH BLAH BLAH (typical Greek soccer players blaming others for their failures).

Now, they got rid of Ziko, so hey will be free. FREE.

On Castillo from SPORTNET.GR.

"

What a joke.

First the players didn't like Kespagia b/c he was a task master. There were complaints about him, so Kokalis canned him and brought in Ziko.

The players raved about Ziko. They said they were free.....BLAH BLAH BLAH (typical Greek soccer players blaming others for their failures).

"

What a joke.

"

Peiraias71,

The only problem of holding the team excessively accountable every year and making demands is that you don't actually fix the problem. You merely band-aid the problem. Olympiakos needs to change strategy. They are behind the times big time. They can use stop gap band-aid strategies and win the league, but the next year the same issues appear. If you look back the past 5 seasons. it is the same ol' same ol.

Olympiakos needs to insert youth, Greek youth into the lineup and let them grow, while supplying them with mentally appropriate role models.

I hope PAOK and PAO finish 1-2. It is really what is best for Olympiakos and Greek soccer. Kespagia should never been let go. If players are beeing stupid, send them to Kalamata or some Division 2 team or even worse, send them to the press box. Anytime they bitch to the press, fine them. Put it in their contracts.

That is my opinion, but what do I know?

I tend to agree with Euro and thrylos here ...

It's this constant "demanding of change" that ruins Greek football, not just for Oly but for all teams. Thrylos I congratulate you as an Oly fan who actually sees the big picture.

Oly losing this year, and first place going to whichever other team, will not only benefit Oly (hopefully for them) but Greek football in general (hopefully for us).

Quite an amusing post Euro. By the way this success of PAOK when is it coming? It isnt here, they were always a 2-4 place team and they will be forever. Fans like me are why Oly has won the league consistantly. Fans like you are why PAO, AEK and PAOK are consistantly a second banana. We hold the team from the top down to a higher set of standards than you do and when play drops below these standards we waNT CHANGES.

Let me just say that you misunderstood the intentions of my post. I'm sorry if it came across as confrontational but it's not easy to translate the way one wishes to deliver a message through a post. So sorry i wasn't meaning to sound insulting, i just strongly disagree with you. I do believe that your mentality surrounding football is greatly detrimental to the well-being of your club and the game in general, but that doesn't mean I'm judging you as a person. I'm sure you're a great guy, so i'd hardly insult you because we disagree over football.

PAOK is currently living the success as is Aris. A few years ago PAOK was on the verge of going broke and folding because of their financial problems. In only 2-3 years Zagoraki-Vryzas created a team that finished 2nd before the play-offs last season. They've also steadied the ship financially and have brought the fans back to the stadium. You have to understand that everything is relative. For instance there's a team in England called Brentford. Last season they were in the English 4th division (League 2), they got promoted and this season they're 10th out of 24 teams. They are successful by their standards. On the other hand Newcastle are going to get back in to the Premiership this season but overall they are unsuccesful. It's not as simple as saying "Newcastle are in the division above so they are more successful" because everything is relative.

Olympiakos are a huge club with great facilities and a huge fanbase. In the last 10 years what has Olympiakos achieved? Winning the league an x amount of times? In the world of football Greek football means nothing. In Europe would you say Olympiakos has over-achieved or under-achieved?

If you were run like PAOK you'd have been a much better team than you are now. That's the point you have to understand, not asking why PAOK isn't as good as Olympiakos.

What you fail to understand is that the players wont play for Zico period.  What does one do?

They wouldn't play for Ketsbaia either. What does that tell you? Thrylos said it best in his earlier post:

The players are refusing to train properly and Nikopolidis comes out and says "we're still on holiday" and you're blaming the coach?

What should be done is that Dudu should be fined for clubbing, Diogo & Stoltidis should be told to decide what they want to do, get match-fit or get transfer listed, etc. In other words the manager, & the board have to be unified and the fans have to demand 100% from their players. All successful clubs are built by their managers. They have 100% authority and respect. Fergusen at Man Utd, Wenger at Arsenal, Magath at Wolfsburg last year, Hiddink wherever he's been, Moyes at Everton, etc. That stability is essential.

If Oly left it up to Zico we would have 11 Oscars on the team.

For the tenth time, Oscar was Valverde's signing. The only reasoning he didn't play is because he had players like Leto, Belluschi and Djole at his disposal. What would be your starting line up then?

A couple more years of Zico would be disastrous.  Of course you dont care.  Im not sure who your team is but what is sure is that you dont want the best for Oly.  Do you?

I want all Greek teams to be strong, i'm sure everyone here does. I know Crazy does, Genome, Irlandos, etc. What Olympiakos, AEK and PAO do by changing their managers every few months does not work. It's proven by the fact that these tactics have been employed by 90% of the clubs in Greece for years and our league is a bourdelo.

OSFP is really the only Greek team who would have any chance of making the CL from the playoff groups.

2nd place goes into the bullshit-draw and theres absolutley no hope for PAOK, Aris, AEK of getting through that and into the CL.

So I wouldnt say its better for Greece that less Greek teams are in the CL.

Its good to have some variety in Champions for the league, but its not good (anymore) to have a 2nd place that isnt PAO or OSFP or maybe AEK.

dont blame just zico, dont blame just the players and dont blame just the management...BLAME THEM ALL..the attitudes of all three this season have looked like a team that deserves to be in 3rd place...laziness, lack of motivation and lack of seriousness has brought the team down...

kokkalis failed in bringing the right players to the team...how do you not replace djole/leto on the left? oscar is a bench player at best, but he plays bc you have no one else. ketsba had no time to do any work and was not listened to by kokkali..he knew the teams needs but your president did not deliver.

zico is at fault bc his attitude was wrong..he thought he could just come in and win the league w/o a fight..he had no control over his players bc he didnt earn their respect...the players do whatever they want and zico says nothing...

the players are at fault bc they are not professional enough this season..its a team full of prema donnas...there is no unification, and no sense of team spirit..the players go on the pitch and they look like they just want the game to be over already...theres no drive and no discipline...

firing zico is a bad idea, firing ketsbaia was a bad idea too...you cant give a coach a bunch of players and not give him a chance to succeed...success comes from failure, knowing your faults and correcting them..coaches dont have the chance to do that in greece because after one or two failures they get the axe...to build a proper team, you need a coach to be around for more than one full season, its as simple as that...

firing zico is a bad idea, firing ketsbaia was a bad idea too...you cant give a coach a bunch of players and not give him a chance to succeed...success comes from failure, knowing your faults and correcting them..coaches dont have the chance to do that in greece because after one or two failures they get the axe...to build a proper team, you need a coach to be around for more than one full season, its as simple as that...

You're EXACTLY right w/ this quote...

By the way this success of PAOK when is it coming?

It started today! :LOL: :LOL:

0-1 at the Karaiskaki and hitting the woodwork twice, all the while having something like a 1/20 of your budget!

You're still ahead of them by 1 goal but considering that they've won 6 in a row and you have 1 win in 5, I wonder how long that will last! :LOL:

• 2 weeks later...

The players are refusing to train properly and Nikopolidis comes out and says "we're still on holiday" and you're blaming the coach?

What should be done is that Dudu should be fined for clubbing, Diogo & Stoltidis should be told to decide what they want to do, get match-fit or get transfer listed, etc. In other words the manager, & the board have to be unified and the fans have to demand 100% from their players. All successful clubs are built by their managers. They have 100% authority and respect. Fergusen at Man Utd, Wenger at Arsenal, Magath at Wolfsburg last year, Hiddink wherever he's been, Moyes at Everton, etc. That stability is essential.

I'm coming back to this point I made in an earlier discussion and I hope Peiraias71 is still around to see it (haven't seen you on here for a while mate, i was enjoying our discussions, come back :) ) but there's more evidence of the players being at fault rather than Zico. They are simply indifferent. They've acted the same way under all managers this season. Here's the latest:

- Diogo attacked G.Papadopoulos in the gym. He ran in swearing in Brazilian and punched him twice because of a rash challenge in the training match. (Would he have done that if he was at Man Utd and Fletcher went in a little late for example?)

- Lua Lua (again) and Bravo have been fined for being late to training.

- Datolo has been saying that he'll return to Napoli at the end of the season, raising questions about how committed he is. He's just signed on loan with the option to buy for goodness sake and he's been sent off on his first full start for petulant behaviour.

- Maresca threw a tantrum at being subbed in the game against Panionios and he's been warned by Bandovic about his behaviour.

The problem is Kokallis not supporting the coaching team and not fining the players and being strict on them.

When you let the players run the asylum you will have problems.

IMO,

After the CL games (there is still a small chance of advancement), you clean house. Send all these premadonnas to play for Argos. Fine the $h!t out of them.

Bring in hungry, thirsty players. Change the clubhouse. Clubhouse is back in the days what the Greek National team was like.

Here is who stays:

Quite an amusing post Euro.  By the way this success of PAOK when is it coming?  It isnt here, they were always a 2-4 place team and they will be forever.  Fans like me are why Oly has won the league consistantly.  Fans like you are why PAO, AEK and PAOK are consistantly a second banana.  We hold the team from the top down to a higher set of standards than you do and when play drops below these standards we waNT CHANGES. 

Let me just say that you misunderstood the intentions of my post. I'm sorry if it came across as confrontational but it's not easy to translate the way one wishes to deliver a message through a post. So sorry i wasn't meaning to sound insulting, i just strongly disagree with you. I do believe that your mentality surrounding football is greatly detrimental to the well-being of your club and the game in general, but that doesn't mean I'm judging you as a person. I'm sure you're a great guy, so i'd hardly insult you because we disagree over football.

PAOK is currently living the success as is Aris. A few years ago PAOK was on the verge of going broke and folding because of their financial problems. In only 2-3 years Zagoraki-Vryzas created a team that finished 2nd before the play-offs last season. They've also steadied the ship financially and have brought the fans back to the stadium. You have to understand that everything is relative. For instance there's a team in England called Brentford. Last season they were in the English 4th division (League 2), they got promoted and this season they're 10th out of 24 teams. They are successful by their standards. On the other hand Newcastle are going to get back in to the Premiership this season but overall they are unsuccesful. It's not as simple as saying "Newcastle are in the division above so they are more successful" because everything is relative.

Olympiakos are a huge club with great facilities and a huge fanbase. In the last 10 years what has Olympiakos achieved? Winning the league an x amount of times? In the world of football Greek football means nothing. In Europe would you say Olympiakos has over-achieved or under-achieved?

If you were run like PAOK you'd have been a much better team than you are now. That's the point you have to understand, not asking why PAOK isn't as good as Olympiakos.

They wouldn't play for Ketsbaia either. What does that tell you? Thrylos said it best in his earlier post:

For the tenth time, Oscar was Valverde's signing. The only reasoning he didn't play is because he had players like Leto, Belluschi and Djole at his disposal. What would be your starting line up then?

I want all Greek teams to be strong, i'm sure everyone here does. I know Crazy does, Genome, Irlandos, etc. What Olympiakos, AEK and PAO do by changing their managers every few months does not work. It's proven by the fact that these tactics have been employed by 90% of the clubs in Greece for years and our league is a bourdelo.

:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

Archived