Phantis Forums

SO, SO, TRUE

thrylos

• 3 weeks later...

Talking of the state of Greek football... GreenTitus suggested in the AEK forums that the state of greek football is so bad because of hooliganism, the association, the refs, etc. I replied with this and I was wondering what everyone elses view is on why we get embarassed in Europe so often (PAO and AEK tonight, AEL in the Europa qualifiers, Aris last season, Olympiakos for many seasons, etc):

Sorry but I don't think the weakness of our league is down to hooliganism the refs or anything like that. Greek football as abysmal because of the mentality that surrounds the game. There is a lack of professionalism and an inferiority complex which makes us pathetic in Europe.

This manifests itself in various ways: lack of physical/athletic condition, lack of self belief/low expectations, and mismanagement from the top.

LACK OF PHYSICAL CONDITION: I'm watching Everton vs AEK now for instance. It's 3-0 and if Everton really wanted they could have notched up alot more. From the very first minute AEK were jogging around with no pressing, etc. It's as if they're playing a friendly against Panionios! On top of that I'm looking at the Everton players' physiques and look how big they are compared to AEK's players. They are athletes, our boys look like they spend all day in a cafe drinking frappe.

With the exception of Blanco I can't see a player out there that is in a position to compete physically. Look at Makos' frame for instance. He's naturally quite a big guy, as is Jahic. Yet they've both been bullied physically. If they're being bullied imagine what's happened to Leonardo and Scocco.

Our teams need to get better fitness coaches in. Premiership fitness coaches!

LACK OF SELF BELIEF/LOW EXPECTATIONS: When PAO lost 0-2 at home to Inter, 1-2 at home to Villareal or 2-3 at home to Atletico, we heard so much about "well we tried but they have more quality", or, "it was a good CL run, overall I'm happy", etc. Or when Greece got owned by Brazil were heard Rehaggel saying "well we did play Brazil". As long as these views persist then forget doing anything of note in Europe.

Look how much belief the Turks have in Europe and at international level. Not just the Turks, look at the Cypriots! When Anorthosis was shaking Europe all the Greeks on this forum were saying "they were lucky", the Cypriots believed Ano were good enough to be doing what they were doing. APOEL are in the group of death and while everyone classed them as whipping boys, they said "our aim is to finish 3rd!" THIRD? Ahead of who re, Porto, Atletico or Chelsea? But they got a great result the other night. So while we (PAO) were negative at home to Atletico, APOEL attacked them in the first half at the Vicente Calderon!

MISMANAGEMENT FROM THE TOP:

How long has it been evident that PAO needed a centre-back? Did we address it? No, and we're paying for it now. Olympiakos were very good in attack and poor in defence, so what do they do? They strengthen their defence but ruin their attack by allowing Leto, Djole and Belluschi to leave and not strengthen. Ketsbaia gets sacked after 6 games in charge having won 5, drawn one and not conceded any. Where else in the world does this happen?

Another issue with mismanagement is the stadiums. How many twists and turns have there been re: PAO and AEK's stadiums? It's so obvious that OAKA isn't a good enough edra. It's too big and the atmosphere suffers!

These are the issues that need sorting. Our limitations have nothing to do with refs or hooliganism or anything like that. These are problems but they aren't the reason we're poor. Between the late 90s up until approx 2001 we had very good teams in Europe. Oly and PAO both reached the latter stages of the CL, PAO made the semis of the UEFA, PAOK, AEK and even Panionios were a force in Europe (the latter at least did well in the UEFA Cup one year). We also had problems with hooliganism and referees back then! The 3 issues I mentioned are the ones that must be rectified if we are to make strides again.

• 1 year later...

Two months since we talked about this.

My theio is visiting from Greece and he is/was a huge Olympiakos fan.

He is turned off by the team and Marinakis's in your face attitude.

My cousin is/was part of the PAO extreme fanatics.

He is turned off by the team's idiotic fans that don't get punished for doing naughty things.

My Theia's nephew used to play for Olympiakos and has bounced around from Xanthi to LArissa and other teams.

He is turned off by the state of Greek soccer as he said the owners are in it for show, for their own personal glory.

The mentality of some are ruining it for others

Archived