Phantis Forums

Iraklis v. Panathinaikos

athinaios

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SO basically it comes down to this.....

Oly score two goals that are offside.... and win a clear penalty..

We are not given a CLEAR penalty for the volleyball in the box and what looks like a good goal is called back for offside....

Whats the difference from the top... in reality?

We are 14 points behind and we've been running through a string of horrid performances. The players run a step behind the opposition. I am not sure what's going on in training but did you notice Sariegi so winded in the end his knees gave up and fell down by himself (in the Agritis' double chance towards the end).

I don't see how people talk Cleyton up as if he is sooo much better than Karagounis. One through pass to Nilsson and 100 passes gifted to Iraklis. Same with Ninis. Sure it's nice that the kid is getting some playing time to develop, but we can't win with this kind of game. Gilberto should have put on an Iraklis jersey because he was their best player. Wawrzyiniak is good but throwing a new guy in on defense is bound to create miscommunications. Ten Cate: Leaving proven game-changing players in Athens (Ivan, Kara, Rouka) and relying on the one who has proven that he can't do it (X'opoulos) to turn your team around is a bad bad idea. Did you notice who was taking the freekicks once Cleyton-Ninis were out? Nilsson (our best player today). Salpi played 10 minutes with some fire but he didn't do much the rest of the game. Mantzios. Sure he can be a good CF. But when?

Don't worry though. There is no incentive in the superleague any more. It's hard to play motivated and it looks like Ten Cate is treating it as a long preseason for next year.

Qualification over Villareal and 4 goals past Nikopolidi will work miracles in forgetting games like today.

Nikos what are you smoking, man? Mantzios was offside and it was obvious. They had a replay several times. Oly, in the game w/ Aris, scored 1 legit goal but the 2nd was bulls hit; that guy dove to win a penalty. But yeah, we should have been given a penalty kick today for that handball.

At any rate I didn't like this ref blowing his whistle every 2 minutes...we weren't connecting today. Hopefully we'll pick it up next weekend. Agritis put in another really good effort; I can't believe this guy is going under the radar, especially the NT. One of the most underrated talents in Greece. See how dangerous he was?

SO basically it comes down to this.....

Oly score two goals that are offside.... and win a clear penalty..

We are not given a CLEAR penalty for the volleyball in the box and what looks like a good goal is called back for offside....

Whats the difference from the top... in reality?

The difference, in reality, is HUGE! Olympiakos are a class above PAO in every department except in the goalkeeper position.

It took PAO 60 mins to generate their first chance today... 60 mins!!!!!!! That's embarassing! It was one of the worst games I've ever seen and this is not an isolated example. PAO simply do not have the players to break team down. There's no way it would take Olympiakos an hour to make one chance against anyone in Greece let alone Iraklis. PAO had a total of 3 chances today: Nilson (on 60 mins), the goal which should have stood and the penalty appeal (both in the last 10 mins). Re you guys should be embarassed to be saying the difference between Olympiakos and PAO is "refereeing decisions".

As for HTC, has he lost the plot?? A centre back at left back, a centre forward on the left, and 2 holding midfielders???? :LOL: Every time Ninis got the ball he tried to cut in, why didn't HTC tell the kid to run down the wing and stretch the play instead of playing so narrowly? Also, if I ever hear Drakos call Simao "amazing" again I think I'll die of laughter... his pass completion today must have been around 10%! This team is laughable and if Villareal manage to lose to PAO I think Santi Cazorla, Llorente and co should jump off a cliff!

On the plus side... Wawrzyniak made another good tackle though! :tup:

P.S. Sorry for the rant... I just can't believe that I spent 90 mins of my life (plus injury time) watching that and I'll never get it back! I mean I could have done something alot more exciting instead, like watching paint dry!

Wow, Simao is absolutely amazing ... one off game and you rate him like that? Id rather have simao than any DM on oly.....

I am nowhere near in saying that pao are a better team tha oly... Oly have 3 players that can break open a game in a split second.

The facts are facts though.. When oly play bad.. WHICH HAS been often this year, they get questionable calls in their favor... Whether u like to admit it or not..

i.e. After 57 mins against panthrakikos IN karaiskaki, oly had 4 shots, 1 on target and they get a bogus penalty called.

Yesterday against Aris, they get 7 total shots on net 4 of them were on the 2 goals... both of which were offside....against Thrasivoulos, they play liek crap and get a favorable push in the end....

Against Pao, they get one scoring chance all game long and pao get refused another penalty...

You want to know what my problem is, ill tell you plain and simple.. Its people like you,that look at the league table and believe it.

Oly is a great team,but go back and look at all of oly's 1 goal wins, and check how many penlties they won in those games.

Pao demolished Aris, Paok without breaking a sweat and oly needed two bad goals to beat aris.... Things arent exactly what they seem Dude. The truth is that soccer is played on the field.

All the best players in the world cant do diddley if the team never gets the calls THEY DESERVE.

Paok, Oly, Aek, Iraklis, Larisa are games that pao were denied penalties and should of won instead of drawing.... +10 and things arenas bleak as DUDE makes it seem... This team is capable of playign soem very good football.. is the team complete? no, never will be.. always room for improvements.....

But the truth of the matter is this, Pao can beat villareal just as easily as oly lost to Metalheads Doormats or whatever they are called....

Say all you want about the big mighty oly in Greece.. it doesnt matter anymore... Its all a joke. Oly has been favored all season long. Everyone knows it... even oly fans.. Just look at the oly forums... its a ghostown... its as deserted as the stands of the superleague stadiums will be if this monstrousity isnt ended anytime soon.

If Villareal are to pass pao, believe me, itll be alot more difficult for them to beat pao then it was for pao to not win today....

Pao has a kit they wear in europe, away from all the lies deceptions and greed of the superleague, and that kit, in europe, is way heavier than any jersey oly has ever worn.. korakia included....

Have a pleasant tomorrow.

Re Dude, did you actually sit for 90 minutes to watch Iraklis - Pao? I thought only sick panathinaikos fans and prisoners would sit down to watch another team in this superleague. I tried several times this year again to watch other teams after December and I can last only 10-15 minutes.

I turned on the Oly-Aris on Saturday just in time to watch the penalty. As soon as the non-Antzas ejection happened I turned the channel. What's the point? I tried to watch AEK and I lasted another 15 minutes. I turned the TV off and listened to some music. Much more fun.

On other topics, I am also one who exclaims about Simao. He is 21 years old and he IS amazing. Today he did an excellent job as usual defending, but he was way off with his passes. He is not the best in passing game but he is not usually this bad either.

There are many good game areas Olympiakos performs better than PAO. Olympiakos players as soon as they get the ball they dart forward with the goal to leave behind every opponent. Panathinaikos players for some reason have to always turn back or around themselves to find space and this way they give the chance to defenders to get behind the ball. Olympiakos can stretch the field well on both wings while Panathinaikos can't do that at all. But overall I don't rate Olympiakos players that much higher than ours. Galeti is good and Diogo has his moments but other than that I don't rate other players that much higher.

Don't underestimate the power of psychology in a game like soccer. A while back after the Americans bombed the Serbs into submission, the NATO general gave an interview and said that the only way to victory is to make your opponent believe that he has no chance. I think about this every time referees miss calls in favor of Olympiakos but usually seem to get confused when it's time to call in PAO's or other teams favor. Demonstrating superiority in the courts and the ref circles is a sure way to make Olympiakos opponents believe that they have no chance of winning. You can't expect players to perform if they know it's for nothing.

Panathinaikos has no insentive in the superleague, and I hope it doesn't hurt us in the Champions League.

@ Nikosvazelas: I'm not saying Olympiakos is perfect, I'm not even saying they're that good. I mean look at them against Galatasary... that was one of the most embarassing matches I've seen. But in comparison to other Greek teams Olympiakos are miles ahead. Against Thrasyvoulos for instance, Olympiakos left it late and I agree that it wasn't a penalty, but did you actually see the game? Olympiakos battered them. The movement of the ball was great to watch at times and there were numerous deliveries into the box and plenty of opportunities that had 50%+ chance of resulting in a goal. PAO just can't play like that! So even when Olympiakos have bad games in Greece (i.e. against Thrasyvoulos) they are still miles ahead of PAO. For instance, PAO beat a very tired and lethargic PAOK 3-0 last week. Did PAO play well? Apart from the goals which were all HUGE defensive errors (errors that PAO can't be praised for because they were unforced errors!) what did PAO do? 1st was sucide by Halkias from a corner, 2nd the defence went to sleep in what was an averagely executed free kick, 3rd was a decent goal but only came about because PAOK's left back was a retard. What else happened? The ball movement wasn't great, the tempo wasn't great, there was no incisive passing, etc. That game could quite easily have finished 0-0 and no one would have said "wow, how did PAOK hold on?".

@ Cyberfish: Yes I did watch the whole 90 mins... I also saw the whole Panionios vs Ergotelis game and the AEK vs Thrasyvoulos game (which was even worse than the Iraklis vs PAO game). Because, although you don't believe me, I don't want Oly to win the league. The dodgy decisions, shitty running of the club, monotony of the league, etc is too frustrating.

The point is though, even if there weren't dodgy decisions PAO would still be miles behind Olympiakos. Galletti, Diogo and Belluschi are not just "good", they are much better than anything PAO has from a technical standpoint. Same goes for Leto and Torosidis. It's easy to say "Olympiakos only have 1-2 good players" (that's clearly untrue imo, but even if it was) It only takes a few players to make the difference. Take away Ballack, Drogba and Terry... would Chelsea have beaten Olympiakos last year in the CL? Maybe not. They ended up winning comprehensively though because they have those players. There's no such thing as "only a few players", as if it's meaningless.

On top of that PAO fans are way too blinkered about their "players' abilities". I've seen some people here compare Rukavina with Galletti... that's laughable. Galletti is in a different league from Ruka. If Ruka wasn't at PAO he'd be at a club like Hull City, whereas Galletti could easily offer something to teams like Liverpool or Arsenal. Comparing them with a straight face is a joke. In fact you could go through the whole team and see the difference in quality: Diogo vs Mantzios, Torosidis vs Gabriel, etc. PAO do have some quality players: Gilberto is still class, Karagounis can still do the job and Simao is a very good prospect but nowhere near the finished article (plus it's worrying that you say "he's amazing but passing isn't his strong point"... So he's an amazing midfielder that can't pass? That's about as useful as a chocolate tea-pot. But he is certainly promising and MUCH better than Patsa so we'll include him among the good players. Apart from that who is there?

We heard about players like Falcao (River) that could make a difference, what happened? Nothing! PAO is in abysmal condition because the players lack quality not because the team "lacks motivation". Any good European team playing at 40% effort would have beaten Iraklis yesterday, even if PAO was that relaxed they should have won. There's no excuse

Don't underestimate the power of psychology in a game like soccer. A while back after the Americans bombed the Serbs into submission, the NATO general gave an interview and said that the only way to victory is to make your opponent believe that he has no chance. I think about this every time referees miss calls in favor of Olympiakos but usually seem to get confused when it's time to call in PAO's or other teams favor. Demonstrating superiority in the courts and the ref circles is a sure way to make Olympiakos opponents believe that they have no chance of winning. You can't expect players to perform if they know it's for nothing.

How true... Excuse the personal reference but I need to provide an example. I remember once, when I was a teenager, we played against a mediocre team for the high-school bball championship. Most of us were already playing for decent/good clubs (we even had a 6 foot 8 PAO youth player!) and we were pretty confident. However, a teammate talked to some guy and informed us that these people have the refs in their pockets. We didn't pay much attention but after the first couple of minutes we couldn't play defence nor drive to the basket because of the horrible officiating. In the second half, the refs were OK. But none of us could play well - we felt that we had to go out of our game to win this one. Now, you might say that teenagers are not professional athletes but the hype over this OSFP 'paraga' is much bigger as well. Against Oly, teams know that they 're not allowed to tackle in the box (hell, they 're not allowed to touch the opponents either) and they can't hope for many decisions going their way either. The confidence a player builds with all that is huge.

I think that the refs made it pretty clear this weekend that OSFP are not to be denied the favour they normally receive. What they say and think counts a lot. Remember who Kakos is? He's the same guy Thedoridis said was leading the PAO delegation in Xanthi last year. Zikos described pretty accurately how Kakos has been feeling after that. He just feels the need to prove that he's not a PAO sympathiser. Why? Because, despite the Pilavios administration coming into power, this is still a capital offence in the filthy world of Greek football. In any normal country, Savas would be a regular at trash-tv shows. In Greece, he is important.

Sure, PAO were attrocious yesterday. So what? Where does it say that when you suck the ref can take the three points away from you? With a 50-50 refereeing the point difference would be no more than 4-5 points and this would have been a different debate. When you know you can't lose no matter what you can try that extra trick that might bring a goal. When you know you have no chance you play with iron balls attached to your feet. Not even Barca would have lost just one game if they played in our Superleague. Whoever thinks this is 'normal' because Oly are just so much better than everybody else needs to remove the red glasses. Even when they try to convince everybody their glasses are blue.

oly has it easy... when they dont play well.... they win because of dodgy calls and maintain or even accentuate their lead....

Imagine if a mediocre team like pao got the right calls how close the championship would be right now... and what we would be sayin bout oly and their dynasty...

Horseshit.... its all horse manure..

Archived