Phantis Forums

Worst 11 of Euro 2008

Irlandos

Luca toni? seriously?

over Martin Harnik who had a thousand brilliant chances wasted? At least Luca Toni had a moment for Italy in the France game, where he basically made the 1-0 for Pirlo.

Martin Harnik deserved to be on there.....as did Zevlakov

I dont think Ambrosini was anything special...but im not sure about worst 11. Toulalan definitly worse... and where is fattie Emre on here? He was utter crap! Turkey looked a thousand times better without him !

How about Nikopolidis though

2004: best keeper of the tournament

2008: worst keeper of the tournament

:LOL:

For those that don't read Greek, the article mentioned on Sportaction.gr at Goal.com: Euro 2008: The 'Uninspiring' Eleven

All three mentioned Greek players had been selected on the the All-Star for Euro 2004 by UEFA

Uefa's Euro 2004 All-Star Squad:

Goalkeepers: Petr Cech (Czech Republic), Antonios Nikopolidis (Greece).

Defenders: Sol Campbell, Ashley Cole (both England), Traianos Dellas, Georgios Seitaridis (both Greece), Olof Mellberg (Sweden), Ricardo Carvalho (Portugal), Gianluca Zambrotta (Italy).

Midfielders: Michael Ballack (Germany), Luis Figo, Maniche (both Portugal), Frank Lampard (England), Pavel Nedved (Czech Republic), Theo Zagorakis (Greece), Zinedine Zidane (France).

Forwards: Milan Baros (Czech Republic), Wayne Rooney (England), Angelos Charisteas (Greece), Henrik Larsson (Sweden), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Holland), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Jon Dahl Tomasson (Denmark).

What a difference 4 years make, huh?

1. Antonis NIKOPOLIDIS (Greece)

-- honorable mention: Petr Cech (Czech), Diego Benaglio (Switzerland) --

3. Eric ABIDAL (France)

4. Peter HANSSON (Sweden)

6. Philippe SENDEROS (Switzerland)

5. Ronald GERCALIU (Austria)

-- honorable mention: Tomas UJFALUSI (Czech), M. ZEWLAKOV (Poland), Traianos DELLAS (Greece), Paraskevas ANTZAS (Greece), Andre OOIJER (Holland), Sabri SARIOGLU (Turkey), BOSINGWA (Portugal) --

19. Valon BEHRAMI (Switzerland)

13. Massimo AMBROSINI (Italy)

10. Andreas IVANSCHITZ (Austria)

16. Tranquillo BARNETTA (Switzerland)

-- honorable mention: Tuncay SANLI (Turkey), Angelos BASINAS (Greece), Razvan COCIŞ (Romania), Igor SHIROKOV (Russia), Belozoglu EMRE (Turkey), Tomas GALASEK (Czech), Anders SVENSSON (Sweden) --

9. Mario GOMEZ (Germany)

9. Luca TONI (Italy)

-- honorable mention: Martin HARNIK (Austria), Giannis AMANATIDIS (Greece), Adrian MUTU (Romania), Thierry HENRY (France), Cristiano RONALDO (Portugal), Eusebiusz SMOLAREK (Poland), Wayne ROONEY (England).. oops! they weren't in, were they?! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Guest TheLegend

how did charisteas do much worse... he had one goal in the group phase and hit the post...

in 2004 he had one goal (against spain again) and 2 goals later on.. so really he didnt get worse... the team did. Charisteas in the last game played great. ran around created runs and space and plays and even score..

also nikopolidis was at fault for one goal against russia...that is not why we didnt advance and the defense was more at fault than niko cuz when the goalie runs out there should be defenders running to mark the goal.. the greek defenders stood and watched... so yea... lets not throw blame to ppl we dont like. I never liked charisteas that much but if he plays like he did against spain he should play every game..

also nikopolidis was at fault for one goal against russia...that is not why we didnt advance and the defense was more at fault than niko cuz when the goalie runs out there should be defenders running to mark the goal.. the greek defenders stood and watched... so yea... lets not throw blame to ppl we dont like. I never liked charisteas that much but if he plays like he did against spain he should play every game..

you would defend niko having said in another thread that you thought he was one of the top 10 keepers in europe. mistake vs russia was comical mistake vs sweden and also i know ibrihimovic's goal was not his fault but a top class keeper would have saved it. add to that the errors he got away with ibrihimovic's header onto the roof of the net where niko didn't know whether to stay or go and the countless corners he flapped at he fully deserved to make the worse 11

Guest TheLegend

lol only you would blame him for the goal ibrahimovic scored. Here we have commentators and UEFA having it as one of the beest goals and you blame the goalie. Cech was worst and nikopolidis saved several break aways. One stupid goal in a game where you needed a win doesnt mean s%$#! the way we played anyways and then the 2 CB's shoulda been covering the goal not watcing so its also their fault so they should make the worst 11

I also defended that niko was one of the top goal keepers in europe. And i still think that half way through last season he was one of the top keepers. But this tournament he was awful. We needed more out of him if we wanted to go through. Its not fair to only blame nikopolidis although he was disapointing. About 7 or 8 of our players could have made it onto that list.

I also defended that niko was one of the top goal keepers in europe. And i still think that half way through last season he was one of the top keepers. But this tournament he was awful. We needed more out of him if we wanted to go through. Its not fair to only blame nikopolidis although he was disapointing. About 7 or 8 of our players could have made it onto that list.

nobody here has attempted to defend anyone else and nobody said any of the other players were among the best in europe, i'm merely making the point that his inclusion was fully merited and claims 6 months ago that he was one of the top european keepers were ludicrous, how does one become so bad in 6 short months, the fact is he's been rubbish for years.

Guest TheLegend

nobody here has attempted to defend anyone else and nobody said any of the other players were among the best in europe, i'm merely making the point that his inclusion was fully merited and claims 6 months ago that he was one of the top european keepers were ludicrous, how does one become so bad in 6 short months, the fact is he's been rubbish for years.

so cech sucked all along and he showed the truth against turkey ? thats what ur saying. lol if anything is ludacris its what ur saying. Name one goalie in greece who played better. name a goalie who is greek that played better...

thought so. you just ate ur words..u just hate him for ur own reasons ;)

no legend you're right niko is one of the best in europe. dunno why i never saw it earlier. his consistent blunders over the last 4 years were just bad luck and cechs one error was down to him not being very good.

just because halkias is worse does not make niko any good, he is an embarassment and what makes you believe he's among europes best. face it the comments you made about him being one of europes best were ridiculous and you STILL try to justify them by highlighting an error cech made.

you must be gutted he's retired :LOL:

name a goalie who is greek that played better...

thought so. you just ate ur words..u just hate him for ur own reasons ;)

well seeing as this thread is for the worse 11 at euro 08 and no other greek keeper played then you're right i can't name a greek keeper that played better.

how did charisteas do much worse... he had one goal in the group phase and hit the post...

in 2004 he had one goal (against spain again) and 2 goals later on.. so really he didnt get worse... the team did. Charisteas in the last game played great. ran around created runs and space and plays and even score..

Fans only seem to remember Nikopolidis' error vs Russia and think thats the only reason why he was a bad keeper. You forget that overall, he was a piss poor keeper, the stupid mistakes, misjudgements that went unpunished have been forgotten over years. He was looking shaky as hell vs Sweden, he cant leave his line without causing a scare, his speed, timing, judgement were the WORST in the tournament. Its great that hes finally retiring, he is not an acceptable keeper for the international level anymore.

And the 2nd Sweden goal was also pathetic. The Russia goal was a joke, and its not like he didnt have other bad moments that game. Against Spain, 2 shots right at him.....Shot-stopping had always been his strong point, but even that has faded...

He was, is, and has been an awful keeper for the last 4 years. Wake up people, yes, there actually are keepers that could do better too. Because they dont have the name and past theyre greatly underated. There are much smarter keepers off the line, and some that can pull off great saves. You dont know until you put them in. Some keepers like Tzorvas are getting a lot more action at their end than Nikopolidis anyways and still managing to impress...

Guest TheLegend

no legend you're right niko is one of the best in europe. dunno why i never saw it earlier. his consistent blunders over the last 4 years were just bad luck and cechs one error was down to him not being very good.

just because halkias is worse does not make niko any good, he is an embarassment and what makes you believe he's among europes best. face it the comments you made about him being one of europes best were ridiculous and you STILL try to justify them by highlighting an error cech made.

you must be gutted he's retired

A defending European champion deserved a better keeper than Nikopolidis...

He nearly put us out of the qualifiers by single-handedly losing to Turkey 4-1. Shots from 30-35m out, right at him, were going right through him.

In the finals he bobbled the ball right into his nets against Sweden (with a big assist by Katsouranis - where is he on this list???), had commentators screaming at the top of their lungs with that Russia goal (big reziliki!) and couldn't handle a shot right at him v. Spain. :wacko:

In my days: Vallianos, Oikonomopoulos and Christidis would have fared MUCH better than that! :(

you must be gutted he's retired

Archived