athinaios

Who will win Euro 2008?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win Euro 2008?

• Germany
    • Spain
    • I couldn't care less!
    • Let the team that plays better win!

Germany struggled to get here on their last math whereas Spain went through Russia much easier. However, this is the final, a new game, this Sunday (2:30 pm EDT) and anything can happen.

I expect the Germans to play better than the last game against Turkey, plus they'll have an extra day of rest. Honestly, I would like the better team--the one that plays a better game on Sunday--to win.

I'd like to see a good game, since I'm going to spend a nice summer day not doing my usual outings, so instead I'll watch the match; hope it's not a waste.

Some reasons to like both:

* German beer and food; Spain's food and wine.

* G & S: Beautiful girls, great music, good football teams

* Spain's beautiful country; German alpine beauty.

So, since I've enjoyed most of the things listed above, I'd vote for the best team that shows at the final to win! :tup:

I voted and I'll be cheering for Spain.

Many reasons:

They can dip their toes in the Mediterranean just like us.

I like paellas,

I liked the country when I visited.

I like El Greco, Velasquez, Goya, Picasso, Julio Gonzales, Miro, Antoni Gaudi,

Calatrava made a nice improvement to the view from my sister's appartment with the OAKA roofs.

I like watching their princess celebrating more than the German PM, and

They have never occupied Greece.

:)

Oh yeah, I like how they play football better too.

I'll be missing the game since my own children have activities that I think are more important to attend.

Many reasons:

I like paellas,

Calatrava made a nice improvement to the view from my sister's appartment with the OAKA roofs.

I'll be missing the game since my own children have activities that I think are more important to attend.

Reasons to support Germany :P

1- Otto Rehagel is German, and hes the greatest coach and made biggest success in our history of athletics beleive it or not we have a European Cup.

2- King Otto brought beer to Greece in the 1800... :tup:

3- German food :nw:

4- Germans know how to have a good time.

5- they dip their toes in the Aegean just like us every summer! :LOL:

They deserved to be a finalist in the WC 2006, and this generation needs some silverware recognition.

And I find Germany's football better!

and Spanish did occupy Greece, in the middle ages!

I hope its Germany, but if not.........at least the final that DID matter was won by the right team :gr:

Oh, I'll jump in this one...

Reasons to like Germany:

1) They gave us Claudia Shiffer (mmmm.... )

2) The only country to fully appreciate David Hasselhoff's musical talents.

3) Einstein - what would we do without him? No Star Trek, no Star Wars, no traveling at the speed of light! (cyberfish, already knew that. He's on his avatar! Down deep inside he's actually rooting for Germany... :D )

4) German cars ! (personally, I'm not keen on 'em, but I hear others like 'em :D )

5) The only language where the word "Gift" really means ...poison :o

6) Did I mention Claudia Shiffer? (mmmm.... )

7) Franz Beckenbauer -- the classiest footballer to walk the fields -- ever!

Germany wins 1-0

Many reasons:

I like paellas,

I will be voting and cheering with you (for Spain) :)...

Another reason btw:

their queen is Greek :)

2) The only country to fully appreciate David Hasselhoff's musical talents.

I don't want to sidetrack the thread, or to let Hasselhoff's star outshine the German NT, but such is the danger when you invoke The Hof. Maybe he'll be in the stands, and if he is, the Spaniords have no chance. His sheer presence will overwhelm them into submission.

In the mean time, if you really want to laugh your behind off read the reviews of his albums at amazon.com. Here is a small exerpt for those too ignorant to understand the genious of The Hof:

I always ignored the works of David Hasselhoff, both as an actor and singer.

For me it always was a bit too high-brow.

The critically acclaimed television series "Knight rider" and "Baywatch" were far too complex for my taste.

As fascinating the friendship of Michael Knight and Kit in "Knight rider" was, they too often spoke in riddles, forgetting that those complex stories needed to be accessible and understandable for a television audience.

Hasselhoff never made an attempt to communicate with his audience, to simplify and translate things of his, strongly by performance art influenced, creation.

So I was pretty pre-judged by his singing project, expecting an experimental complex and complicated musical universe.

Having only recently come in terms with my dislike for serial composers like Pierre Boulez and Stockhausen and finally accepting my limited intellectual capabilties, I didn't want to confront myself with yet another inaccessible masterpiece.

True, "Do the limbo dance" requires a couple of listening sessions before it reveals its secrets.

Its dense and complex structure may be a turn of for most listeners, but I bid you to be patient, the glorious moment of recognition and comprehension will come and it is definitely the most powerful and convincing piece I heard in a very long while.

The rest of the tracks are surprisingly ear-friendly.

Though pretty complex in its instrumentation, the musical themes actually aren't that difficult to follow.

You could say, this might sound ridiculous, pop music is the biggest influence on this album.

"Hot shot city" is a good example of how Hasselhoff's creative and unorthodox writing couples with a nice upbeat pop-influenced musical jacket...surprisingly easy on the ear.

Hasselhoff didn't choose for strings and other acoustic instruments, instead he chose the synthesiser as main instrument.

A stroke of brilliance I must say, yes, I agree that synthesiser can add too much "high-cultur" to music, but Hasselhoff's music wouldn't sound right with the ordinary strings or other acoustic instruments, his dense musical structures are just too sophisticated for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Very-Best-David-Hass.../dp/B00005Q8UG/

1-0 ..... Germany has the right idea, but are just sloppy with the ball up front, they should have had 2-3 chances, but they just sloppy and couldnt take them or control like Podolski and Klose did....thats costly as hell. Theyre touch is just so bad in the back and up front they arent focused...

Oh well...Greece in 2004, only thing thats important ! :gr:

Spain keeps running Germany ragged.. Around 37-40 minutes in the first half Capdevila fouled Schweinsteiger and Germans had quarter-chances with set pieces and a good deal of pressure but it's been all Spain -- as expected -- except those 4-5 minutes..

And Torres just shows why he's one of the greatest strikers in the game today. Battling with +1,95cm-tall defenders, he has nearly won everything aerially and has gone past Lahm, argubly the fastest player in German side, with the ball!

I'd say Spain would score another and finish off the party 2-0..

While saying all this Germany nearly scored thru Ballack who has been a disgrace to this final with his theatrics.. A captain like him deserves to lose when you have true leaders on the other side like Puyol, Torres and Casillas!!

f***n German theatrics again!! :angry: :angry:

Ballack sprinting towards the linesman as if Podolski was murdered!! :LOL: :LOL:

Run like that in the match and you'll win 5-0, you idiot! :ph34r: :blink:

The Turkish commentator just said: "Even LeBron James wouldn't get to that bad a cross!" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Germany started to seem more effective with the Kuranyi sub by the way..

While saying all this Germany nearly scored thru Ballack who has been a disgrace to this final with his theatrics.. A captain like him deserves to lose when you have true leaders on the other side like Puyol, Torres and Casillas!!

aman aman aman GS......

enough already. Ballack is acting a bit dumb but comparing to those Spaniards are true leaders?

Casillas is also acting like an idiot getting himself involved in the midfield line first half...

Torres was just play acting on the ground (WE KNOW HE WAS FINE) and expected play to stop for him, but Bastian dribbles over with the ball and tells him to get up, its awesome.

and now Silva making little cheapshot on Podolski...

Lahm was rubbish first half....horrible defensively. Jansen was a good sub. Lahm had the ball at his feet but slowed expecting Lehman had it...he should not take the chance and just go and clear the ball, which he could have done, it was not a "speed battle" by anymeans. Im starting to feel that Lahm is much more suited to be an attacking left winger, than he is a defender.......he was also poor in the back vs Portugal and Turkey.

a German friend of mine keeps saying the referee has murdered the Germans ever since the game begun!!

are we watching the same game?! :huh:

yeah, he's showing a lot of cards but that's what he is... I mean we would have Arda and Tuncay available for the German game and a different result could have been on the cards if that is one's perspective.. :whistle:

Definitely by far the most one-sided final I have ever witnessed including the 98' and '02 World Cup Finals that ended with higher margins.. The tiny Spanish midfielders have absolutely harassed the German centre-mids.. This team thruout the tournament has been a joy to watch and this is the cream of it all!!

some of the fouls called on germany have been crap

Spain falls down rather easy... In fact one foul in midfield Ramos lept up for the header with both his hands on German players back and got called for a foul in his favour :blink:

the ref has not really affected the game though for either team.

Spain the better team today, Germany never got their act together and more worthy in the end of the cup than Germany with this performance today. But Im still not in awe of this team, they won, they made it out of a hard group and one sucess adds to another.

Maybe now we can finally hear people shutup about "Will this be Spains year" great, they have a Euro cup :LOL: ... Though i really get the feeling that Spain will go downhill from here..with Aragones their new hero leaving, and the new pressure of being European Champions......

Well, look, Spain deserved to win this one. Congrats to them. They had many chances, had many more shots on goal than the Germans, and they controlled the game better. They're not a super team, but that's football.

Enjoy your summer guys! :tup:

Spain the better team today, Germany never got their act together and more worthy in the end of the cup than Germany with this performance today. But Im still not in awe of this team, they won, they made it out of a hard group and one sucess adds to another.

Maybe now we can finally hear people shutup about "Will this be Spains year" great, they have a Euro cup :LOL: ... Though i really get the feeling that Spain will go downhill from here..with Aragones their new hero leaving, and the new pressure of being European Champions......

downhill from here?! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

they've won the second best and hardest international championship.. :LOL:

man.. admit it! everybody --except Germans and you -- keep saying this has been an awesome team..

and finally.. it would be a much more colorful and entertaining final with our team instead of this boring, play-acting German team who I keep saying didn't deserve to be here in the first place (not because they eliminated us but they had no options in attack except set pieces & keeper errors which was terribly exposed today as they could do nothing offensively)..

Germany today looked worse than Greece did against Russia! :o The only wonder is they didn't lose with 2 or 3 goals to spare.

Btw, there is nothing special about this Spanish team. It is the same one we met three times in 2004, the same one I saw lose 3-2 in Windsor Park.

Greek players and coach understimated themselves and sold us short. :tdown:

Archived