Phantis Forums

Now THAT'S a miracle...

mangas21

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have seen the greatest spirit of EURO 2008. Now this is what we call belief and team.

After that Turkey deserves to lift it and I wish them so as they fully deserve it. I have never seen such a heart and spirit from any team, Greece is a joke in front of them. I wish we had 5% of what they showed today and in their previous 2 games...

Congratulations to Turkey, may the greatest fighters of this tournament lift it. They deserve it.

we fought too you know, we just didnt get the luck and lost. We scored in the dying minutes vs Russia only for a garbage offisdes call.

Anyways, I think this topic belongs in the Turkish National team thread and not in the GREEK national team one.

with all due respect, acknowledging the efforts of another team, any team, and marveling at a soccer game between ANY two teams, belongs on any thread....

anything less would simply be closed minded and perpetuate the stereo-type that so many here claim is uncalled for.....

NOW, is there a place for getting all giddy about it, and comparing our teams short comings against ANY other team? well i would say probably not....i think saying stuff like "we should have 5% of their heart" or whatever is a bit extreme....

ok so when PAO wins a game in europe i should go open it in the PAOK threads?

theres a forum for this dicsusion and this is for the greek naitonal team.

go to the turkish threads we have, they get no love from most of the members, and this topic doesnt belong here. End of story, Mod do the right thing.

I think this thread is OK here, if the subject of discussion was intended as a direct comparison between team efforts and attitudes.

we fought too you know, we just didnt get the luck and lost.

It was more like the chicken running around with their heads cut off. I don't know if you've seen such a sight. They (the chicken) try to hang on to life too. But it's already too late by then! Rehhagel took us to the slaughterhouse! We never believed in ourselves, and we were not ready for this. And we were slaughtered in front of the entire planet to see!

On the other hand, the Turkish team did fight down to the last second of the game! They seemed to believe in themselves. They were a little uncertain first game. The second game, they started discovering themselves. In the third game they had the confidence that they could come out winners! And they did. We didn't have anything! Nothing. Nada. Nichts. Niente! ничего

...go to the turkish threads we have, they get no love from most of the members,...

man, you seriously don't & can't mean that!! i've been a member of this forum for 5 yrs now and if anyone says i didn't treat anyone well or insulted somebody, i'll leave this forum the moment after... :(

i think he just meant the turkish section on phantis doesnt have many people posting there.

f***n hell! I thought my english was proficient enough... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

maybe I got hyped up because of the huge win! :LOL:

man, you seriously don't & can't mean that!! i've been a member of this forum for 5 yrs now and if anyone says i didn't treat anyone well or insulted somebody, i'll leave this forum the moment after... :(

GS -

i think theres some loss in translation man

What I am said means The Turkish Threads get hardly any visitors - and now Turkey is in the semifinals and the discussion is still not in their threads but in the Greek NT - the discussion belongs in the turkish football threads.

(gets no love = means underappreciated, its an american term - sorry for misunderstanding but im not at all implying you have insulted or done anything wrong)

It was more like the chicken running around with their heads cut off. I don't know if you've seen such a sight. They (the chicken) try to hang on to life too. But it's already too late by then! Rehhagel took us to the slaughterhouse!  We never believed in ourselves, and we were not ready for this. And we were slaughtered in front of the entire planet to see!

Chicken with their head cut off?

Sorry....Greek fans have embarassed this tournament more than any team. This team goes and uproots the entire football world and imagination - and now we dont even appreciate effort when its there, because we lost.

if that 2nd goal would have counted you would have all applauded the teams courage to come back and fight till the end, but we got screwed.

They ran their asses off, the defense had big problems, the midfield out of form, and the strikers no service.....It wasnt out year, and to say they didnt have heart or desperation is so demeaning. Even the anti-greek staffs in the commentators were applauding Greece's effort in those games and we did have sour luck in both the last games.

Turkey has sweeter luck this year, and they have a more complete offense, strikers and midfield - we lost to friggin Sweden a great team, and Russia (which should have been a tie) another great team. We tried vs Spain and got unlucky, we deserved the point there too.

GS -

i think theres some loss in translation man

What I am said means The Turkish Threads get hardly any visitors - and now Turkey is in the semifinals and the discussion is still not in their threads but in the Greek NT - the discussion belongs in the turkish football threads.

(gets no love = means underappreciated, its an american term - sorry for misunderstanding but im not at all implying you have insulted or done anything wrong)

f***n hell! I thought my english was proficient enough...  :LOL:  :LOL:  :LOL:

maybe I got hyped up because of the huge win!  :LOL: 

ok man.. problem solved.. my stupidity.. :P

Sweden, a great team? Russia, a great team? For F***s sake astes tis m*****es already! Who are you man? The Greek national team spin doctor? We sucked ass and we lost to inferior teams. Yes - INFERIOR TEAMS. Even the Spain game they had their reserves playing.

This was one of the worst performances I have seen in modern day football. Scoring 1 goal, conceding 6, and finishing LAST with 0 points (only team to do this) in the group as a defending champion? That's bullshit!

Greece is better than they were in 2004. The team simply wasn't ready. The coach simply wasn't ready. And everything went to s%$#! with the poor formations and the old and slow players picked for the team.

You know what the sad part is? We will see more of Dellas, Basinas, Giannakopoulos, and the rest for the 2010 World Cup and we will continue to do so until they retire themselves.

sorry to say but there is no such thing as luck.......its all about probabilites.....the better you are the less your success is due to "luck".....

we were not good enough...period...for whatever the reason....if haristeas was "better" he maybe makes that header he missed, or even scores a few of those shots.....if our forward was quicker, maybe he takes offf a split second later and get the benefit of the offsides call......but he wasn't and he wasn't......so, they weren't good enough.....in 04 we weren't lucky, we were good.....in 08 weren't unlcucky, we were bad......

i think the team tried, they gave it their best effort and it just wasn't good enough....all this junk about "luck" is the same excuses i used to hear back when we were ranked 50 in the world...

hopefully the trend is up....but it never goes straight..ups and downs occur, but the overall trend is up....

...now I know how the Greeks felt in 2004.... man great feeling.....

....I cant sleep ....... Guys the cup must stay in the near of the agean sea :D ...

Greeting all Greeks - now we must do it like Greece ...... :gr:

haha......

if turkey wins the cup then something its got to be god.......

Gods of the Aegean......the Olympian Gods!

the 12 gods (the land that is presently Greece and Turkey was all worshipping them in Ancient times) --------as well as Italy ......oh wait.....Italy won the World Cup :o

And even today their is an Olympos in Turkey no ? :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sweden, a great team? Russia, a great team? For F***s sake astes tis m*****es already! Who are you man? The Greek national team spin doctor? We sucked ass and we lost to inferior teams. Yes - INFERIOR TEAMS. Even the Spain game they had their reserves playing.

This was one of the worst performances I have seen in modern day football. Scoring 1 goal, conceding 6, and finishing LAST with 0 points (only team to do this) in the group as a defending champion? That's bullshit!

Greece is better than they were in 2004. The team simply wasn't ready. The coach simply wasn't ready. And everything went to s%$#! with the poor formations and the old and slow players picked for the team.

You know what the sad part is? We will see more of Dellas, Basinas, Giannakopoulos, and the rest for the 2010 World Cup and we will continue to do so until they retire themselves.

YES SWEDEN IS A GREAT TEAM.

Where have you been.....Sweden is making practically every tournament Euro and World Cup.......they are a team that makes it to the next round too, and a serious competitor. When was the last time Sweden was ever viewed as an easy opponent for ANYBODY??? never. Sweden is one of those teams in every tournament with some talent a strong squad and game plan.

Russia isnt a great team ? You sure about that?????

Russia is a great team. I dont know what games you are watching. We dont have players like Anyukov, Pavlyuchenko Zyrianov, Arshavin etc....Theyre quite talented and are a strong attacking team. They lost to spain 4-1 - who cares. The score didnt reflect the play anyways Russia could have had way more goals.

And many of their players we dont have their quality.....end of story......What striker of ours is even an ounce as good as Ibrahimovic or Pavlychenko? Larsson even at his age is better than Charisteas! Kallstrom is a thousand times better than any CM we have. Lets be a bit more realistic. Sweden is not a good team....theyre inferior...what the hell do you really think this team is top 8 or top 4 in europe? I watched every game in this tournanment...We are LACKING big time in quality. In fact Im starting to seriously doubt most other coaches could take that crop of players to the Euro.

2008 better team than 2004? Thats the stupidest crap ever - where have you been. We KNEW our defense is weaker.....WE KNEW. Remember qualifying?

Comparing the midfield ability and defensive ability of 2004 vs this team is an absolute joke. Even the goalkeeper (yes, AGE COUNTS) and striker (Xari, Demis, Vryzas = WAY MORE EFFECTIVE )

and defensive back line SUCKS THIS YEAR.....

Come on.........Paraskevas Antzas? ARE YOU F***** K I D D I N G ME.

AND Aged Dellas, Giannakopoulos, Nikopolidis WAY old and WAY out of form, Basinas just much much older...that team was WAY better, i think thats ridiculous to say were better...if we were better our defense wouldnt SUCK SO BADLY.

We saw how bad the defense is on our team in all 3 games.

We would have copped 5 if we didnt sit back vs that Swedish team they had their foot up our ass. Lets face it, this team was not that good. We made it, ok good. Now its back to the drawing board...The team was not as strong as in we thought.

The only difference is our forwards are "stronger" even though not by much...the only difference was that we have Gkekas who is a good goalscorer and ...but the rest are nothing special.......Salpiggidis, Samaras who are incredibly overrated....

As for Dellas, Giannakopoulos..... They should be retiring.....We will see what kind of lineup Otto picks for our first friendly at the end of the summer - then we can gage how "screwed" we are. Maybe hell drop the older players finally.

...now I know how the Greeks felt in 2004.... man great feeling.....

....I cant sleep ....... Guys the cup must stay in the near of the agean sea :D ...

Greeting all Greeks - now we must do it like Greece ...... :gr:

My friend your team a had a great game, and certainly you must have some luck to win in tournaments like this, but to feel what GREECE felt in 2004 you must lift that cup over your head. The pressure gets greater and it only get harder from here. Good Luck.

we fought too you know, we just didnt get the luck and lost. We scored in the dying minutes vs Russia only for a garbage offisdes call.

Anyways, I think this topic belongs in the Turkish National team thread and not in the GREEK national team one.

I agree with you file, THIS IS THE GREEK NATIONAL TEAM THREAD.

Bravooooooooo.

I hope they ll go to the final.Its a little difficult without 6-7 players,but this team reminds me,our own team of 2004.They have guts and soul.

Well done.Destroy ze Germans

YES SWEDEN IS A GREAT TEAM.

Where have you been.....Sweden is making practically every tournament Euro and World Cup.......they are a team that makes it to the next round too, and a serious competitor. When was the last time Sweden was ever viewed as an easy opponent for ANYBODY??? never. Sweden is one of those teams in every tournament with some talent a strong squad and game plan.

Russia isnt a great team ? You sure about that?????

Russia is a great team. I dont know what games you are watching. We dont have players like Anyukov, Pavlyuchenko Zyrianov, Arshavin etc....Theyre quite talented and are a strong attacking team. They lost to spain 4-1 - who cares. The score didnt reflect the play anyways Russia could have had way more goals.

And many of their players we dont have their quality.....end of story......What striker of ours is even an ounce as good as Ibrahimovic or Pavlychenko? Larsson even at his age is better than Charisteas! Kallstrom is a thousand times better than any CM we have. Lets be a bit more realistic. Sweden is not a good team....theyre inferior...what the hell do you really think this team is top 8 or top 4 in europe? I watched every game in this tournanment...We are LACKING big time in quality. In fact Im starting to seriously doubt most other coaches could take that crop of players to the Euro.

although i do agree with your basic sentiment. i would say that a team like sweden or russia is plus-minus on our level. remember russia was without arshanvin and some other starters against us. and basically arshavin makes the difference there.

i think the problem is simple. our style of play works against superior opposition who make the play. we have tremendous problems if things are even and we are expeted to make the play as evidenced against sweden.

i agree we don thave the names sweden or russia has but then again as a team i don t think us to be significantly worse than sweden nor russia without arshavin. if we put in a good + performance we should be able to beat both sweden and the russian team we faced. the reality is otto was basically outcoached against sweden and from that point on it was all over. we were unlucky against russia but then again russia was better overall even missing stars. so i d say our performance wasnt good enough. one could of course as you say argue, we are not good enough to beat russia. bit i wouldnt go that far.

all in all i think coach and players semmed very complacent and didnt show the hunger other teams display. this starts form the teams we faced in the pre-euro and goes on and on.

the offside goal was harsh but things like that happen in football. perhaps though it wouldnt have been in in real play as i believe charisteas scored after the whistle. who knows and at the end of the day who cares.

Archived