Phantis Forums

Who is the worst coach of EURO 2008

Guest geok

Your chance vote for the worse coach of EURO 2008. Apart from the 8 disqualified teams, a couple of qualified team coaches are added from those favourites that struggled to go through.

Otto Rehhagel because after 4 years since the team won the euro championship, he came back not to defend the crown but not to lose.

Any coach who makes a team worse in 4 years deserves the worst coach award!

Otto Rehhagel because after 4 years since the team won the euro championship, he came back not to defend the crown but not to lose.

Any coach who makes a team worse in 4 years deserves the worst coach award!

Perfectly said.

I'll also add that any coach who doesn't have faith in his players and/or blames his players for their shortcomings is very poor.

Paidia, just read the difference in accountability of Portugal's manager Scolari after last night's loss to Germany:

Scolari was not looking to shift the blame for Portugal's exit, however.

"I am responsible for choosing the players and placing them on the field in certain places, so the person most responsible for Portugal not being in the last four is the Portugal coach, who chooses players and tactics," he said.

Has Otto expressed any such things? He came out like a whingeing baby blaming the Greek media and his players!

made the team worse?

Man it was thanks to him we got there in the first place....

AGE made the team WORSE......

Kapsis, Fyssas, Zagorakis, Dellas, Dabizas, Tsartas, Nikopolidis, Basinas Vryzas etc.....the players all got too old and were key players in his earlier team. None of them are anywhere near as good as they were 4 years ago some dont even play football.

Otto screwed up one game, but you could really make the arguement that he actually was smart. Our defense is very weak now guys..

We saw what happened when we went forward vs teams like Russia and Spain....we were walked over. vs Sweden we would have lost 4-0 if we tried to go up....at least at 0-0 we can hold out for the point if not steal the win on the counter attack.

Vs Russia we went out and tried our best, it didnt happen with a bad offside call, and even then our defense cant cope. Looking after the 3 games, its true, our defense had so much trouble containing players and needed all the help from the midfield and strikers it could get.

The worst coach was Domenech, who has a ocean of talent in France, but cant make a descent team, and is still using some of the old players that should be gone, when theres an excess of great young players who could fill in for them now. And this team only 2 years ago was in the WC final....

Otto did bad in that he wouldnt take Ninis and Papasta8opoulos.........

Antzas should never have been on the team, and we had 7 forwards.....one can easily be replaced by Ninis like either Samaras or Salpiggidis...

The worst coach was Domenech, who has a ocean of talent in France, but cant make a descent team, and is still using some of the old players that should be gone, when theres an excess of great young players who could fill in for them now. And this team only 2 years ago was in the WC final....

...and loses to Scotland twice and makes a substitution only to change his mind 45 seconds later and just sits there with a smile on his face like there's nothing wrong, etc., etc.

...and loses to Scotland twice and makes a substitution only to change his mind 45 seconds later and just sits there with a smile on his face like there's nothing wrong, etc., etc.
Yup. Got my vote too, that guy doesn't have a clue and I'm still surprised he got so far in the WC 2006.

I will have to say Scollari. I am really suprise he was not on your list for voting. He really sucks. I can't believe that Chealse hired him for there new coach.

Scolari isnt a bad coach i dont think....I dont know if Chelsea will do much with him though...

Portugal got to the next round, and really that was all they were really going anyways.

Great midfield of Deco, Ronaldo, Moutniho, Simao.......but he has no strikers, and no real defenders... Carvalho, Pepe are big names, but their prices reallly are inflated because they are Portuguese and mourinho's boys- lets just say it, we know its true. Fereirra too especially a mediocre defender rated at millions...

Gomes is a good forward, but eh......you cant be still relying on this player and he doesnt really make things happen, esp when the midfield is world class...Portugal has this problem, same with Pauleta, Postiga, etc..... Nani will end up the same, hes a really quick nd fast player but with ZERO intelligence...kids made to be a winger not a striker.

I voted for Otto, as I said before. Scholari has a team that plays good football, and on a good day can defeat anyone. They lost to the Germans, OK, but they fought.

Otto is a stubborn old man, who stopped the bus at the Euro 2004. After that "miracle" --let me ask you--did Greece become better, same, or worse?

I think there were much better players out there, but Otto goes with the ones he knows, not willing to try anything new.

One last thing, (someone mentioned this earlier), GR doesn't have a coaching team, just Otto and his assistant/translator. I doubt if he's got any scouters too....

One last thing, (someone mentioned this earlier), GR doesn't have a coaching team, just Otto and his assistant/translator. I doubt if he's got any scouters too.

It was mentioned in the newspaper "To Vima". In regards to scouts, here an excerpt from Wikipedia: "He is married to Beate Rehhagel. Beate is also remarkable in her own light, because she acts as a sort of player scout for her husband."

I, too, consider Otto Rehhagel as the absolute worse coach of the tournament. A failure in all sides. Zero marks for having a game plan for for his team, zero points for player motivation, zero points for doing anything to help promote the team's overall image. He seemed more interested in saving his own ass (see: legacy) and did not hesitate to through his players under the bus (calling them incompetent, with no skills, and not capable of taking other teams head on)! His only concern as "To Vima" mentioned in the article, was that they taste all the food served at the hotel, and they take snapshots of it!!!!

So, here's the coach and his scout! (he also has a son that is a soccer trainer! Click for video clip)

Posted Image

I voted Otto but I'd say a tie between both Otto and Domenech, simply because Greece and France were the poorest teams at Euro 08. That said I do have to praise Otto for the job he did in qualifying, especially in the latter stages.

What exactly is a player manager? Id think id means somebody to talk to before games at get the guys motivated/water bottles...obviously its not a 'tacitcal decision' and if its just an inspirational position....I say thats a great idea, to have some of the older generation around (but not playing) to motivate, re-assure etc...maybe Fyssas could be a good coach...

I feel like Adonis would make a decent goalkeeping coach....

Afterall you cant teach his idiotic errors - or you cant plan for them.

It would be good because this way, Adonis and Fyssas will be training with the team sharing his knowledge, experience but not have to play, and cost us games.

Generally-speaking, a player-manager is considered something of a go-between between the players and the coach. I don't think Fyssas would have any say in tactics but I could see him being used to scout players and maybe as a motivator/mentor for the newer players.

Otto was the worst. At least greece were getting better as the games went on. (Bad vs sweeden, better vs Russia and better vs spain). The team could have had potential dont you think? If we played the way we played vs spain or russia we would have beaten sweeden. I think this is all because of not being ready for the tournament. Otto did one of the worst jobs i have ever seen in pre tournament friendlies. What the hell did merely beating a week cyprus do? Tieing a awful armenia and loosing to a terrible hungary? How could you go into a tournament like that? The team wasnt ready.

no comparison, boyz.. surely Domenech.. under his management France nearly didn't make it to the EURO and when they did, most French wished they stayed home.. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

he's got a big big class of talents to coach at least!!! :tdown:

Guest TheLegend

France choked but they have potential. Greece doesnt have potential at the same lvl as france but Rehagel uses a strategy he knows DOESNT work. Rehagel doesnt care anymore. He knows hell never win a tournament again so for him hes got what he came for. We need a new coach with a passion to win

Archived