Phantis Forums

Panathinaikos Squad for next season 2008-09

MadBoy13

Mod note: the discussion (some of the posts) in the AEK-PAO thread about players & stuff was moved here and merged with this topic.

--------------------------------------------------

goooo Zenit... in 15'... the uefa final!!!!

peseiro is gone.....

peseiro is gone.....

is that ur wish or u heard it somewhere? on his post game he said as far as he was told, to have a quick rest during the euros and to get ready for cl play.

do u really think bajevic is the answer or is there someone else.

peseiro is gone.....

is that ur wish or u heard it somewhere? on his post game he said as far as he was told, to have a quick rest during the euros and to get ready for cl play.

do u really think bajevic is the answer or is there someone else.

peseiro told that feugei stin sinenteuksi...

an einai na feroume kanenan ampalo pali.. kalos einai o bajevic but i wanted doni but he went to aek...

i read wrong ur right. peseiro was a good coach. too bad the players melted down and in the end couldnt get the championship.

good coach alla ekane lathos sto empsixo iliko tis omadas...

Dude, have you heard of a player called robert earnshaw. apparently pao is interested in him. i just heard it on erasport

also some guy named ciprian marica. your thoughts

Rob Earnshaw? You've to be kidding me. He's a Welsh international and plays for Derby (and sits on the bench!) That pretty much says it all... he sits on the bench for a team that has scored the lowest ever amount of points in the Premiership. No way is he PAO material. He's small and quick and if he gets a chance he'll score... problem is his movement isn't very good and he rarely gets chances. He wouldn't get into any Greek team in the top 6... BUT, his although he's always been terrible in the Premiership, his goal scoring record is brilliant in division 1 in the England (i.e. England's second division) so he thrives against weak opposition. Like I said, the reason for that is because he's got a great finish so if a team leaves him space he'll score so you never know, PAO may revitalize him.

As for Marica, he's good. He's a Romanian international, used to play for Shakhter. He's a very hard-working striker, he could be a good signing, but again, I'm not sure if he's a match-winner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-3sod6DnTw...feature=related

well Peseiro leaving wont do us much good. At this point, were better off accepting that he screwed up, and taking an experienced PAO coach into the next preseason (allowing one to learn from mistakes already made, as opposed to bringing in another random coach)

Honestly if nobody can see the trend of "ooh a FOREIGN coach with good record/education hell make PAO better like FOREGIN teams are" .......

Soum

Malesani

Bakke

Munoz

Peseiro

really only the last 4 count.....weve tried brining in coaches with high credentials or coaching education.....So far 4/4 failures, all given maximum 1 season, in some cases too short as they were too hopeful.

If we imagine ourselves starting "fresh"

Then wouldnt we want one of those foregin coaches - WITH PAO experience???? Peseiro didnt fail that bad. Neither did Munoz. But were going to have to start all over again in the summer with the next overpaid jackass....Peseiro is adapting, hes even learning Greek, hes learned a lot in the last weeks, and I have a feeling hell do much much better next season, with some stregthening, injuries healed and knowing the team and league much better than any coach thats going to come in from abroad.

Peseiro has made dumb decisions, but hes one of the first coaches Ive seen at PAO actually turn around our form 360 succesfully. And the team has been making chances, and playing pretty well. But injuries, and even bad luck finishing was just as much a factor in losing the prota8lhma to Peseiro, I cant deny that....

If we seriously get another foreign coach with no experience in Greece, I dont care who we sign, we wont get anywhere AGAIN..... Its better for Peseiro to stay at this point, we stand so much more to lose from getting another coach, who will start at where Peseiro's level was at the begninig of the season (not good) as opposed to the end (acceptable)

as for Bradshaw.....why would we want some peasant player from the EPL exactly??? I will be so furiious if this is any way true. Especially after reading DUDE's description, he sounds like WE ALREADY HAVE THAT PLAYER DIMITRIS SALPIGGIDIS and we need BIG players.....we need somebody who can run and is tall and powerful.....not some little welsh worm scoring in mummy's 1st division.

We need to be focused on cleaning out the league's top talent, and getting a SELECT group of foreigners to fill in the really big roles. Theres no point looking abroad for players of such a mediocre calibre, when the mediocre ones in Greece end up playing better 9/10 times.

Marica - Id much much rather have Cleyton. Marica is ok, but we have players of that high quality in our own league, and if you can match the level of play to a player in Greek league - go for the domestic version if you actually want results and no bs.

Peseiro is gone. He came last summer and we always have high expectations even though we came off a dreadful end to last year and made no MAJOR signings in the offseason. in came Simao, Ndoye, Sariegui, Mattos and karagounis. Other than Kara, i dont think anyone knew any of the players who were brought in. and Peseiro managed to take the same group of players, play a lot better football, have the best defence in the superleague and finish second only because of a mentale breakdown against xanthi and ofi in the last 4 weeks of the season.

Forget this year. Forget about who the coach will be. my question is simple. Which players that are on our squad right now would you keep for next season and what would you look for in the transfer market.

GK: Galinovic,Malartz, Karnezis. No trouble in goal. wouldnt touch a thing.

LB:Fyssas will prob retire. Darlas and seric are definately out IMO and Spyropoulos should be our starter.

CB: Goumas,Morris and Sariegi are all OK backs.

RB: Vyntra has to go, its time. Nilsson is a decent player and should stay.

LM: Ivan has to be signed. he is our best player 97% of the time. Romero is gone.

CM: mattos is a keeper as is Simao.i would try to transfer tziolis out for some money as his value is prob pretty high given his height, age and experience. Kara is staying.

RM: Ninis and Dimoutso are both here for a while.

CF. Salpi should stay. Postiga is gone as is Manucho back to Man U. pap should try to be sold but will prob end up back with us. Ndoye is a work in progress. Petropoulos showed promise but is a question mark.

The way i see it, we need a CB with class. someone to step in and take time away from Morris and Goumas and have those two fight for the 2nd spot with sariegi.

Hopeful transfers: Avraam Pap, Kyrgiakos.

Id also like to see a RB with youth and great prospect. Someone like a torosidis. i feel Nilsson more capable than most think but he does need help often and someone young and full of prospect would be nice.

Hopeful transfer: Neto, Foreign player.

I feel we desperately need a LM. Id lvoe to ivan play as a CAM and with a class LM, ivan would be put in the mdidle thus not making us look for that position.

Id hold back from signing a RM as i believe Dimoutso, a healthy Ninis and kara would do well in the position. besides the more players clogging up the midfield, the less time for Ninis to have a chance of playing. Gotta let the kid play.

Hopeful transfer: Aloneftis, Foreign player.

If we sign a LM i would play ivan or kara in the middle and not go after a dekari. I believe Ivan can do wonders there. if we dont sign a LM id go after the BIG NAME. Who???? i have absolutely no idea.

Up front is a whole other problem. With Manucho Prob goin back to Man U, i strongly believe we will need someone up front, someone just liek Manucho. a kid with killer instincts. I dont want him to dribble past everyon and score goals. i just want someone who can get the ball up in the air and do it. Manucho with Pao has played in 7 games. he has 4 goals. thats what i want. results.

Hopeful transfer: Manucho returning, Samaras, Foreign player.

Id have to agree with DUDE. we are not many players away from being a pretty great squad.

Aloneftis,Avraam,Manucho,Neto. gimme those four and ill be happy.

Especially after reading DUDE's description, he sounds like WE ALREADY HAVE THAT PLAYER DIMITRIS SALPIGGIDIS and we need BIG players.....we need somebody who can run and is tall and powerful.....not some little welsh worm scoring in mummy's 1st division.

We need to be focused on cleaning out the league's top talent, and getting a SELECT group of foreigners to fill in the really big roles. Theres no point looking abroad for players of such a mediocre calibre, when the mediocre ones in Greece end up playing better 9/10 times.

Marica - Id much much rather have Cleyton. Marica is ok, but we have players of that high quality in our own league, and if you can match the level of play to a player in Greek league - go for the domestic version if you actually want results and no bs.

He's nothing compared to Salpi, not even in the same league. I'd rather have Babangida to be honest.

I agree with you about sweeping up the top talent in Greece, or Greek players... Cleyton, Alonefti, Basinas, and possibly Avraam. But I also think for PAO to fulfil her aims she must look abroad for top class players. If I was manager I'd certainly request McBride (as you're based in the US I'm sure you know just how good he is). Or if not McBride the team certainly needs a goal scoring target man.

im watching darlas tackle again.. such a dangerous tackle... im kinda pissed with him cuz he didnt go to Paulis to say sorry or at least to give hime the hand... exei toso kairo na paiksei o darlas kai kanei ena toso anoito foul.. thats sooooo stupid and imature..

Especially after reading DUDE's description, he sounds like WE ALREADY HAVE THAT PLAYER DIMITRIS SALPIGGIDIS and we need BIG players.....we need somebody who can run and is tall and powerful.....not some little welsh worm scoring in mummy's 1st division.

He's nothing compared to Salpi, not even in the same league. I'd rather have Babangida to be honest.

I agree with you about sweeping up the top talent in Greece, or Greek players... Cleyton, Alonefti, Basinas, and possibly Avraam. But I also think for PAO to fulfil her aims she must look abroad for top class players. If I was manager I'd certainly request McBride (as you're based in the US I'm sure you know just how good he is). Or if not McBride the team certainly needs a goal scoring target man.

Basinas, Aloneftis???

No thanks!!!

Basinas is best finishing where he is, hes old and we simply dont need him, we have Mattos whos great, Simao next in line at 18 and Tziolis who is a capable DM, not quite as good as Basinas but not much worse...

Aloneftis isnt really needed either.... we have Ivanschitz, and I would never risk a good thing for Aloneftis, who was good but I dont think hes meant for bigger clubs....there are enough players Id look to go before him anyways. We need to get better than Aloneftis anyways. Aloneftis if he picks it up might have a career at PAOK or AEK, but I dont see him succeding at PAO or even OSFP.

and Brian McBride? Have you lost it???? :huh:

McBride for one is American and wont leave England. American soccerites get completly gay for the English game (true) . Not only that, he 35!!!

At his age hes not going to adapt to new leagues, and certainly wont be ready for European play which he has never done...... Premier League is one world, and just because you suceed in it doesnt mean the sucess will carry over abroad - even if the quality of the league is better.... 35 year old McBride trela8hkes re theres tons of options we can get just as good and better... Plenty plenty better......Were not looking for a fill in, were looking to create a full team (Id hope!)

Also O PANATHINAIKOS .......its a he not a she :P

Basinas, Aloneftis???

No thanks!!!

Basinas is best finishing where he is, hes old and we simply dont need him, we have Mattos whos great, Simao next in line at 18 and Tziolis who is a capable DM, not quite as good as Basinas but not much worse...

Simao is 18, still young and inexperienced. Basinas has been in great form for Mallorca this year and lately for Greece too, he's far from too old. Isn't you that said for PAO to improve they must replace the weak links for better players? Well Tziolis is such a link. And yes Basinas is 1 million times better than Tziolis, apart from physical strength and shot power Tziolis does not have one attribute which is better than Basinas', not one.

Aloneftis isnt really needed either.... we have Ivanschitz, and I would never  risk a good thing for Aloneftis, who was good but I dont think hes meant for bigger clubs....there are enough players Id look to go before him anyways.  We need to get better than Aloneftis anyways. Aloneftis if he picks it up might have a career at PAOK or AEK, but I dont see him succeding at PAO or even OSFP.

I think there's a general belief that Ivan is better as a dekari than as a winger and PAO need a dekari, so Alonefti could free him up. And why would you assume the guy was not meant for big clubs? Because he hasn't been in the team at Cottbus? So what? Gekas hasn't played much either. Anelka only got 6 goals in one season for Fener, now he's at Chelsea, etc. Some players need a change of environment. He has bags of pace, quite a good cross, and gets goals, what more could you want from a winger. Again it goes back to what you were saying about replacing the weaker players with better ones... wouldn't you rather have him than Romero?

and Brian McBride? Have you lost it????  :huh:

McBride for one is American and wont leave England. American soccerites get completly gay for the English game (true) . Not only that, he 35!!!

At his age hes not going to adapt to new leagues, and certainly wont be ready for European play which he has never done...... Premier League is one world, and just because you suceed in it doesnt mean the sucess will carry over abroad - even if the quality of the league is better.... 35 year old McBride trela8hkes re theres tons of options we can get just as good and better... Plenty plenty better......Were not looking for a fill in, were looking to create a full team (Id hope!)

So what if he's 35? How old is Kovacevic? How old is Ribo? How old was Zola when he was terrorising defences in the Premiership? Or Shearer? etc. He's a VERY young 35 year old and if he can handle the physical demands of the Premiership then make no mistake, he's very fit. He's amazing in the aerial game, amazing! He holds the ball up exceptionally, he scores goals, he interlinks play. He really is a fantastic player and even if he only lasted a couple of seasons who cares? He's exactly what PAO needs. As for adapting, he's not the sort of player that will need to adapt because he will be brought in for his aerial game. PAO won't play him for the through-balls, that's Salpi's job. McBride will be used to provide options from the wings, to hold up the ball in tough away games in Europe, to bully defenders, and to flick the ball on for Salpi. He'd be perfect, trust me. And as for leaving England, he's 35, he's played in England, PAO would provide him with the last chance to play in the CL, sheer curiosity would make him go to PAO..

Also O PANATHINAIKOS .......its a he not a she :P

:la: oops!

We need our Defense upgraded

If we can get Kyriakos and a quality RD i will be happy and we still have a problem with our stiker options

As for coach:

I want a Greek as a foriegner hasnt worked all these years. I dont want Bajevic but what about Anestasiadis the Cyprus NT coach or even Rotsa?

dude Brian McBride is no Kovacevic, no Ribo......

They moved when they were 33....and they were not just coming off big injuries...when you get that high up 2 years means more and more.

Has McBride ever played in a European game his whole life? Im pretty sure he actually hasnt (literally) and hes 35.......coming off a major knee injury.... your in the clouds man.... theres no way I would want PAO to sign Brian McBride unless it was as a backup for free at an amazing price....

Hed be gone in December. A player that old and accustomed to Europe only so little is not going to adapt well in the Greek league way more so than most players.

Remember when Beppe Signori came to Iraklis??? Perfect example...and Signori was a much better player than McBride.... He was scoring like crazy at his age for Bologna in the Serie A....comes to Ira, cant play cant find himself and just goes shortly after....

PAO are looking to build a team. You cant build a team around Brian McBride - hes just not long term enough, and he most definitly will have trouble adpating to Greece and dealing with European Matches and League matches week day in and out.....hes never had to do that before, 35 is not the age to start! Hed be much more suited to join Clint Mathis at Ergotelis in Crete though or some small team outside Athens....

and Gkekas hasnt played much???? DUDE you are not your usual self man youre in the clouds....

here it is:

Gkekas 2007-2008 Bundesliga:

Bundesliga (29 appearances) (11 goals)

UEFA (10 apps) (2 goals)

League Cup (1 app)

and you compared to Aloneftis:

Bundesliga 11 (apps)

League Cup (1 app)

Thats no comparison. None.

I assume hes not meant for big clubs because:

PAO/OSFP didnt rush to sign him

He rarely play for Cottbus

I just got the feeling hes another "Cypriot star"......flashy and nice in the beginign, and deteriotates every year after that.....thats pretty much how Bidis, Kotadinou, Okkas all ended up. Even though when he was playing for AEL, I was suprised that he was definitly the best out of the big Cypriot names... Some games he was pretty good. I just cant see the player making it at a big club though.

Id rather have him than Romero, but Romero does fine at sitting the bench and filling in left or right when needed.....can aloneftis play both? is aloneftis willing to sit out or rather hell be wanting assured first team football after this season...

Simao:

Simao is one of the best DM's in the league and hes 18. Props. Inexperienced? Hes getting more and more experienced every game - he practically looks like a veteran its suprising hes only 18. Im not worried about him, hes shown he can play when needed.

Basinas you might not remember how bad he was when he last played with PAO. I would much rather have Tziolis now than the Basinas that left us back then. Tziolis and Basinas difference today is really not that huge....Tziolis plays solid defense, and over the year has improved a lot with distribution particularly in the last month.... Sure Id rather have Basinas, but hed most definitly be second to Mattos. Id just rather go with someone else.

Kyriakos left with bad blood; he will not return to PAO.

I think we should get one more for defense, midfield and offense. Pesseiro got this unit to play as a team.

We need a better psychology and the mentality of a champion that finishes the job. We had several chances to finish it but we choked. This is the most important acquisition we must get this summer!!!!!

PS>Tie down Simao with a very long (and good) contract. Ivan's case must be resolved very soon too. I don't care for McBride or another Cypriot. PAO needs 3 experienced players. We've got plenty of young talent.

Remember when Beppe Signori came to Iraklis??? Perfect example...............

Basinas you might not remember how bad he was when he last played with PAO. I would much rather have Tziolis now than the Basinas that left us back then.

Match-winning performances against teams like Everton and Villa show that he's capable of having an impact in Greece.........................[NO NEED TO CITE THE WHOLE QUOTE]

Maybe PAO need a scout with his head in the clouds because some of the transfers in the last few years have beem a joke.

Gekas has played a lot. Hes nowhere near a bench player, you can look at his statistics if you like. hes played about 2500 minutes for Bayer.

Signori not in the same condition? He was same age plus no injury....

and BTW Postiga isnt worth mentioning as an example - He isnt a PAO player.

Face it McBride totally unrealistic, but also totally NOT worth PAO's time. Admit it already, honeslty. A few EPL good performances isnt justifying a damn thing....If I remember correctly BISCAN was a great player in EPL too - and what happens when you cant settle??? McBride is 35 and never played in Europe - hes one of the WORST possible candiddates to settle in at PAO, it will take him time, and we are trying to build a TEAM (for more than one year!!!) Signing McBride would be more time and resources than what hes worth. There are many players just as good as McBride that are much better suited to pursue a career in Greece - McBride is finishing up his career, and hes not going to leave England.

Greek league ISNT English league man. The English game is what hell excel at, because he plays English style, hardworking like a dog....

By head in the clouds man I mean your thinking of unrealistic things. McBride was a good player, theres the simple fact that 35 year old striker coming off an injury who has not played in europe EVER, is NOT going to have a team built around him. Thats RIDICULOUS man......thank god you do not work for PAO. Im not saying McBride is not good, Im saying there NO WAY an injured 35 year old Fulham forward can cope with the different lifestyles, schedules, and even pressure (you better beleive theres a lot more pressure for you playing for PAO than for Fulham, who are simply content to not lose every game) all taking this on for the first time in his career at the age of 35, when hes just now recovering from a DISLOCATED knee . Simple Nonsense ! PAO are looking to build a future, theres no point spending effort and money to buy players from the EPL just to use them as a fill in player for a season. Why should PAO buy a good player (not an exceptional one) whos 35, never lived outside his comfort zone, never played the European game, never had to adjust to European schedules (2 games a week) and is recovering from a knee injury (weve had every striker injured this year - you really beleive hell some how last, in adtition adapt to the rapid lifestyle change of Athens, in adition to the dramatically different footballing differences and a more rigourous schedule??? You think this guy will be able to do CL games and league games week in week out starting regularly - for more than a year??? FORGET IT.

Signing a player isnt as easy as ringing him up and offering.....it takes more time, money , resources than that to get things moving. PAO dont need to be wasting those resources on players who are simply too old to BUILD A TEAM AROUND and although great player, DOUBTFUL that he can adjust to playing European Ball for the FIRST TIME, and adapt to that 2 game a week schedule PAO will be demanding......

If he comes as a free loan, sure, then were not as obliged to use him. he wont.

In fact he wont even want to leave Fulham, or England. If he does, hell probably want to finish his career 2nd Division England or MLS.

If we want anyone from Fulham.....its Clint Dempsey....virtually same thing as McBride but much younger and in midfield, and might be actually looking for a new challenge.

DUDE, you also said before the season started that oly would get raped in europe this season because the team was weaker than last years.....

Head in the clouds. :P

I agree about alonefti but i doubt pao would go and get him.. theyll prob opt for someone south american. As for Mcbride, i agree with DUDE somewhat. He IS the type of player we need HOWEVER, i wouldnt go after him. Maybe on a free loan but thats it. dont forget he is 35 and coming off an injury and is kinda old. Kovacevic is 33 going on 34 and he lost heaps of gas in the end. he was nowhere near the same player he was in the first 18 games. someone youthful in this position is prefered. Not only that but i believe we need TWO of these types of players. Why you may ask.... injuries. Say we get someone like Kovacevic. if he gets hurt, who do we have to play that game.. pap? salpi? we need another...

Petropoulos might come in and do some damage because he is the target man DUDE is talkin about. he scored 4 goals with ofi and 8 goals with aigaleo this season. 8 of those goals were on headers from corners or crosses. mind you he is young for the greek league.. in greece if ur 25 ur still a prospect, but i wouldnt forget him next season.

Carew would be perfect !!! ... he knows Europe, hes strong, tall and great finisher, and of good age (28) ...... very experienced in Europe too with Valencia, Lyon and Rosenborg....... Besiktas managed to sign him at one point, Im sure PAO can attract him...... what the hell is there at Aston Villa for a footballer? the brilliant opportunity to finish in 7th place and get eliminated by FC Chinsau :LOL: ??? PAO is definitly a better choice, we should go for him.

Last time we had a Valencian striker we did well :)

Archived