Phantis Forums

NOVA Greece (DTH platform) sold to Forthnet

Greece's only DTH provider NOVA, has been sold for 430 million euros to Forthnet, a Greek telecommunications company. The sale of Netmed (the company that owns NOVA) has been ongoing for several months with many different bidders including Minos Kyriakou who owns Antenna Group. In the end Forthnet was the winner and new owner of NOVA.

For those in Greece, does anyone know anything about this Forthnet company? I have read that NOVA did not have many subcribers compared to other satellite providers in Europe due to poor channel selection and high prices. I wonder if these new guys will make any meaningful changes for subscribers or just continue on with the same old path?! They need to add more channels and offer some more affordable packages to attract more subscribers.

Here is a link to an article about the sale: Forthnet acquires pay-TV provider NOVA

Forthnet started from ITE (Idruma Texnologias kai Ereunas) in Crete,

then it became larger and larger. Now ITE only has some shares

of forthnet. (ITE is largely related to the University of Crete.)

Forthnet now provides ISP and telephone services, and I think

they are the largest such company after OTE.

Minoan lines also own several shares of Forthnet.

Interesting. I was actually looking at Forthnet (as well as others) for my house in Greece. They have some great prices for Internet and phone together (and great rates for calls to the US).

Hopefully they lower the prices for NOVA now, and bundle it. I looked at NOVA before, but it was always too much money. :gr:

Their site: http://www.forthnet.gr/templates/portalhome.aspx?c=1

English version: http://www.forthnet.gr/templates/portalHom...aspx?c=10002035

Archived