Phantis Forums

La Liga Now in Canada!

For those interested,

The Spanish Primera is now available in Canada on Rogers Sportsnet (Similar to Fox sportsnet in the U.S.) They will be showing a game a week for the rest of the season starting tonight- Real Madrid .vs. Mallorca

There is a catch however, you need to have digital cable or satellite to access all 4 of their channels because the games will NOT be available in all regions. Tonights game only available in East and Pacific regions.

Great news for soccer fans, now if we could only get the games of our national teams on tv, it would be a perfect world :tup:

I wish, :angry:

No, in Canada we get ANT1 and Mega through Odyssey TV. These are two channels that are owned by the Maniatakos Family out of Toronto. They are not like the real thing, because of the CRTC they have to also have some 'Canadian content', which means local shows about Greeks in Canada. They are basically Antenna and Mega Lite.

We don't get ERT (which I like) but I have been bugging these people off and on for a while trying to get them to add ERT but so far nothing. Hopefully something will happen in the new year. I think it would be in their best interest to add a 3rd channel (don't think it will happen in my lifetime) with programming from ERT/Alpha. They could use this to fight those who receive the channels through Dishnet, which is illegal here. If all 3 are available here Legally then those with Dishnet have no excuse for having it except that they want free tv. This is an ongoing problem here, recently I heard that a snitch line will be set up so that people can rat out neighbours who have U.S. dishes. Unbelievable?!

The two Odyssey channels are available through Expressvu and Rogers cable. Other cable companies only carry Odyssey 1 (Antenna).

Just curious, did you just move to Canada, is that why you are interested in these channels?

Just for your info,

you can catch the Greek channels if you have a Ku Band satellite (slowly replacing the old C band satellites).

On Telstar 12 you can get the Antennae Satelllite channel. The satellite is just over the horizon so depending where you live like in Toronto the dish would need an angle of about 9 degrees elevation.

On Galaxy 10R you can get Alpha Sat, which the regular Alpha channel shows the Greek National Team friendly matches, so I would think that the Sat channel would show those matches as well. The dish in Toronto would need an angle of about 23.6 degrees.

If you have the old C band dishes (those huge ones), point it at Satcom C1 and you can get ERT SAT and Mega Cosmos.

On the AMC 1 satellite you can also get GOL TV.

On SATCOM C3 you can get Fox Sports World.

All these channels are FTA (Free to air) so there is no charge for them.

Some useful info for you guys.

Trifilli,

I don't own a big dish, but when I move out of my folks house I will get one (too many trees in the backyard, our Directv dish just clears the trees. I would make sure that my backyard would have no major obstructions.

They have available dishes/receivers which will receive both C band and Ku band.

That would be my ultimate goal.

They have available dishes/receivers which will receive both C band and Ku band.

That would be my ultimate goal.

Exocet,

what can you watch with those dishes?

can you get European TV?

How much are they?

Where can I get some more info on programming and prices?

Peace

Trifilli,

You can get lots of international programming for free from a whole list of satellites.

For about $600 you can probably get ku band motorized dish.

At www.globecast.com throug pay services you can receive more international programming.

He are some websites for you to read up on more information;

www.kusat.com

http://eyeinthesky.net/Free-to-air/Free-to...ming.html#GREEK

http://www.roxsat.com/

http://www.lyngsat.com/

There is lots to read.

Start off with www.kusat.com, it will give you a good introduction.

At www.lyngsat.com is a website that index of all satellites with all the channels on those satellites. Or if you know the channel name it will tell you which satellite has that channel.

Good luck!

Exocet

• 5 weeks later...

From what I found out, it is not worth it to get a big dish to watch Greek football.

Only Alpha and Antenna( in the Eastern US/ Canada) are free

You cannot get ERT sat or Mega because of their Dish network agreement

There are many other free channels but from Eastern and Far Eastern countries mostly

PEACE

Hey Ziaka,

Any chance we may see any of these channels on Galaxy 10R (Alpha, RIK, Mad TV) show up on dishnet some day. I think mad tv would be great, finally a music channel! :tup:

Any idea what type of music it plays- just modern stuff??

Thanks.

Well Alpha was rumored to join the Greek package, but that seemed to fall through. My guess is that eventually it will end up on Dishnetwork. As for the other channels, I don't know. I am not sure what kind of music Mad TV shows.

Guest Dishchick

My My My HellasHab spoken like Mr. Maniatakos himself

Are you him or just one of his goons ? :)

ANYHOW, just to clear up your blatent misrepresentation of the facts.

a) NOT EVERYONE who is watching DishNetwork programming in Canada is stealing it. There are MANY people who would pay triple the money to DishNet in monthly fees than subscribe to Maniatakos' garbled, unorganized nonsense :)

B) The whole issue of GREY MARKET satellite systems (US systems in Canada) is currently before the Supreme Court, on the grounds that it indeed does violate our Charter Of Rights and Freedoms.

c) Some people subscribe to DishNets Greek packages only to avoid putting another cent in Maniatakos' pocket :)

If you want the Dish Network progamming in Canada get somebody to pay the bill here in the states and just install a bigger dish to catch the signal. I know people steal TSN here in New York so I'm sure you should have no problem catching the Dish Network because their signal falls in the same footprint. As for catching channels direct from Europe, only a huge satellite that is usally only sold to broadcasting facilities can catch those type of signals.......BTW Does anybody know if the international friendly between Greece and Switzerland will be shown anywhere? My friend has the TARBS system which broadcasts Alpha direct from Greece but sometimes they block out some of the sports progamming.

frappe is right, people in Canada get Dishnetwork (and DirecTV) by either using a US based address, and the people in US get Canadian satellites (Expresvu, StarChoice) by using an address broker in Canada. That's one way of getting around the restrictions on receiving the other countries satellite broadcasts.

Another way of course is by getting a hacked system and receive everything for free, and risk being caught by the authorities. DirecTV has been very agressive in recent months as far as going after people who steal the signals.

DishChick.

Please go back and re-read my post again- you misunderstood what I said!

I am not part of the Maniatakos' family nor affiliated with them in any way. I don't really care for them or their stupid channels. I cancelled my subscription long ago to Odyssey TV. I hope that one day the 3 Greek channels available south of the border will be available here as they are there- WHOLE CHANNELS, not patched up versions of them which is what Odyssey provides. But unless the CRTC changes some of their regulations, this won't happen any time soon.

As for my thoughts on grey market, I said what I said for those who oppose this kind of thing. I don't think it matters whether you pay Dishnet or not, according to the law it is illegal. Its funny that U.S. satellite is 'illegal' in Canada, but Canadian satellite is NOT illegal in the USA?! About the snitch line, that was mentioned as a 'news item', to let people know, to what lows these people pushing this illegal satellite thing, have fallen. Personally, I think that this is disgusting and pathetic. People spying on their neighbours, what country is this we are living in?? I think the world has finally gone to hell, its unbelievable some of the things you here and see today on the news.

I hope this clears things up as to where I stand.

Archived