Phantis Forums

STAR in USA

The STAR channel is now talking with Echostar Dish Network

DKSat

Thank you for the info DKSat.

That is finally a good move for Dish Network. And frankly for STAR too, if it works out. Their reach potential will be many times greater on the Dish platform.

LOL now thats a change... see what eventuates with this.. :) :gr:

But I still think it will end up on DirecTV.... ;) B)

lol. Funny how stuff is turning out.

But I too think it will end up on DirecTV. If the rights are owned by UBI it would make sense to put all their channels on one platform, which Alpha is on already.

And it sort of seems like a deal has been made since Star International has been displaying US Times and Mad World has stated on their website of a US launch, when this is the first we hear of Dish Network talks..

At this time STAR is talking with both Satellite platforms Directv and Echostar DN.,

The rights for STAR are owned by UBI.

UBI does not have the rights to Alpha in North America , Alpha is doing there own distributing in North America.

LIKOS, i agree their potential will be many times greater on Dish Network then Directv , Going with Directv they have to start from ground zero.

DKSat

At this time STAR is talking with both Satellite platforms Directv and Echostar DN.,

The rights for STAR are owned by UBI.

UBI does not have the rights to Alpha  in North America , Alpha is doing there own distributing in North America.

LIKOS, i agree their  potential will be many times greater on Dish Network then Directv , Going with  Directv they have to start from ground zero.

DKSat

That is smart thinking on their part, they should go with both platforms ideally but that may not be possible since both Dish & DirecTV seem to be locking broadcasters into exlcusive deals.

Interesting bit of news on Alpha, I wonder if they will show up on Dish as well at some point, I think it is a more suitable replacement for MEGA than Star is. I believe that DKSat mentioned awhile back that Alpha was looking to get on Dish as well. Hopefully DirecTV has not locked up Alpha Sat into an exclusive deal.

I still do not understand why people want this Star Channel, ANT1 already covers the entertainment/gossip-type shows, which is basically what Star airs, how much crappy gossip programming does one need?! Over 3/4 of their lineup in Greece consists of foreign shows which will not air here due to rights issues so why one would want to watch 5-6 shows repeated over and over all day long is beyond me :huh:

If Dish is smart they should go after Alpha Sat and forget about Star but if they are desperate for more programming then they just may add Star. Case in point, when they lost SBS (top-rated Korean channel) they added a whole bunch of other crappy channels (from what I have read, don't know much about Korean TV) to make up for the loss of SBS. I hope the same doesn't happen here to make up for the loss of MEGA & Alter.

:gr:

I still do not understand why people want this Star Channel, ANT1 already covers the entertainment/gossip-type shows, which is basically what Star airs, how much crappy gossip programming does one need?!

Don't know what their programing is like exactly, but STAR specialized in celebrity and entertainment news in their main news program.

Here is a schedule for Star International off the UBI World site, while not as bad as I was thinking (in terms of repeats) there is still not much there programming wise as compared to the other Greek channels.

One thing I don't understand, I thought this channel was owned by Vardinogiannis who also owns Panathinaikos, so why is there no shows for PAO fans?! You would think he would create some programs about the sports team he owns- a magazine show or highlights program, something. As a PAO fan that would up my interest in this channel significantlly:D

Star International

Well I think that where ever UBI decides to put STAR will be important if they get an exclusive contract. UBI will prob. want to have all it's channels on one platform, so along with STAR and I guess MAD WORLD could come the Cypriot channels and that Religious channel.

Archived