Phantis Forums

Panagiotis Kone in Greek NT's ??

len

He plays on the Greek U-21 national team. Here is a great move he pulls off from the U-21 national game vs. Italy a few days ago.

Yes but if Euro2004 is correct in his post then it doesn't matter that Kone has played for our u-21's, he would still be eligible to play for Turkey or Albania. In fact I'm pretty sure that he is eligible to play for Albania, don't know about Turkey. BUT, it should also be mentioned that unlike Ninis, I believe Kone's origin is actually Albanian and he is muslim. If that is the case then he may very well be tempted to play for Turkey or Albania if they come knocking as he may identify with his country of origin more.

He plays on the Greek U-21 national team. Here is a great move he pulls off from the U-21 national game vs. Italy a few days ago.

Yes but if Euro2004 is correct in his post then it doesn't matter that Kone has played for our u-21's, he would still be eligible to play for Turkey or Albania. In fact I'm pretty sure that he is eligible to play for Albania, don't know about Turkey. BUT, it should also be mentioned that unlike Ninis, I believe Kone's origin is actually Albanian and he is muslim. If that is the case then he may very well be tempted to play for Turkey or Albania if they come knocking as he may identify with his country of origin more.
DUDE why do you think that just because Albania or Turkey offer to call him onto the NT Kone will go? He is already growing strong bonds with the boys in the U-21 team and several of the current players of our NT (Dellas, Lymbe, Lagos?).

Plus he plays for AEK, one of the big three, which means his chances of playing for the NT may be better. Playing at a higher level on a better team than say Iraklis makes a difference. Unless there is some clear indication that Greece will not call him up i don't see him leaving. Plus, why would he choose Albania...for the prestige....or for the exposure he will get by playing on a championship team.

he is of albanian decent. so there is no turkish scenario. kone has deliberately decided himself to play for greece where he has lived most of his life. from my info he only has the greek nationality. he is no muslim, he is orthodox. although i dont know if he was orthodox all his life or not. in any case he decided himself at a very young age to play for greece.

until this day there was never any talk of albanian scenarios. so i think its highly unlikely that he switches. from my info, he considers himself greek.

if he played with the greek U-21 game in a FIFA event (anything that is not exhibition), he can only play for greece from here on out

that is very good to hear! the future is bright for greek football! :gr: :gr:

Just to clarify.. i didn't start this post w/ that title.. it was moved from the Kone topic in the AEK section

I believe that he has tremendous talent and has shown good progress in his two years at AEK. If he keeps working hard and continues to develop at the same rate then he will get a spot the NT when the time is right. For now let him keep doing what he is doing on the U-21 team and when the time comes he will move up.

nice to see...but what was the end result of that bit of fancy footwork?

a throw-in for the italians..

Because that other guy screwed it up. But good point ive always felt that too. Young players make mistakes and and offensive mistake wouldnt hurt us as much as a defesive mistake. And yes u are write defencive tactics are more important and its tough to tough young defenders

he is of albanian decent. so there is no turkish scenario. kone has deliberately decided himself to play for greece where he has lived most of his life. from my info he only has the greek nationality. he is no muslim, he is orthodox. although i dont know if he was orthodox all his life or not. in any case he decided himself at a very young age to play for greece.

until this day there was never any talk of albanian scenarios. so i think its highly unlikely that he switches. from my info, he considers himself greek.

id assume hes Orthodox, his name is Panagiotis which is an Orthodox name...

he is of albanian decent. so there is no turkish scenario. kone has deliberately decided himself to play for greece where he has lived most of his life. from my info he only has the greek nationality. he is no muslim, he is orthodox. although i dont know if he was orthodox all his life or not.  in any case he decided himself at a very young age to play for greece.

until this day there was never any talk of albanian scenarios. so i think its highly unlikely that he switches.  from my info, he considers himself greek.

id assume hes Orthodox, his name is Panagiotis which is an Orthodox name...
So, Marco Aurelio easily became Mehmet Aurelio for Turkey :)

Still, I'm guessing he is of Greek descent ap' thn Elliniki meonotia tis borea Epirou.

I don't think any Ethnic Albanian would williingly want to play for Greece, I agree with DUDE above.

no he is definitely of albanian descent. no north epirus...he has albanian roots but he is orthodox.

as for ethnic albanians not wanting to play for greece, you are mistaken besides kone there is kondi from panionios and kristi from aris who are both ethnic albanians but are eligible and want to play for greece. i dont know about kondi but the other kristi is a christian albanian. by the way with paoks husein mumin we already have a muslim greek (pomak origin, some say turkish) playing in the u21.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived