Phantis Forums

Alpha Sat is up on DirecTV

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope they will have some sort of package.  Especially with Alter coming too.

I was on the Direct site looking at other language channels comparing prices. All of them are actually pretty cheap with about at the least about 4 channels in a pack for around the price of 29.99 on most with a single channel being 9.99 or 14.99. (depends)

Only minus is you still have to pay at least $9.99 for the min. direct package to get them. :(

We will see what will happen with the Greek channels, and what prices they have.

• 2 weeks later...

They are testing.

The signal is coming via fiber optics

DKSat

Fiber Optics? So it's not on Direct?

I am asking, because I though Fiber Optics are used by Verizon......Sorry if i'm completely wrong. I dont know alot about this stuff. :P

They are testing.

The signal is coming via fiber optics

DKSat

Interesting,

So is this a better delivery system than satellite? How can you transmit a signal via fibre optics, are there cables buried in the Atlantic Ocean? Just curious how this works. I wonder if other channels will turn to fibre optics to transmit their signal to North America?!

I guess this explains why Lyngsat doesn't list anything yet, I kept hearing Alpha is testing and yet I saw no news of it being uplinked to any satellite. :D

On another note, I noticed that Alpha has removed the section on their website for Alpha Sat and it appears that this channel will be getting a site of its own- Alpha Sat (Alter Globe is now the only international channel with no web presence, no mention at all on the Alter site, like it doesn't even exist?! ;) GET WITH THE PROGRAM ALTER!! )

Interesting,

So is this a better delivery system than satellite? How can you transmit a signal via fibre optics, are there cables buried in the Atlantic Ocean? Just curious how this works. I wonder if other channels will turn to fibre optics to transmit their signal to North America?!

There are submarine communication cables under the Atlantic and indeed under all oceans. There have been for decades, from the telegraphy era until today.All modern cables use fibre optic technology to carry digital payloads, which are then used to carry telephone traffic as well as Internet and private data traffic. They link all the continents on earth except Antarctica. Back in December 2006 an earthquake caused damage to one such connector in Asia, leaving huge parts of Asia without internet traffic for 2-3 days.

But I dont understand. Alpha Sat will not be on Direct or Dish? They use satellites, right? Or is this on Fiber Optics just for testing purposes?

(sorry for all the questions, its just something I have no clue about. :P)

But I dont understand.  Alpha Sat will not be on Direct or Dish?  They use satellites, right?  Or is this on Fiber Optics just for testing purposes?

(sorry for all the questions, its just something I have no clue about.  :P)

Grk101,

Alpha Sat will be on DirecTV, what DKSat mentioned has nothing to do with who will be carrying the channel. Instead of transmitting the signal via satellite from Greece to North America, the company who is bringing Alpha Sat here is transmitting the signal through fibre optic cable. Once here, the signal will be uplinked to one of DirecTV's satellites so it can be made available to subscribers when the testing is finished.

But I dont understand.  Alpha Sat will not be on Direct or Dish?  They use satellites, right?  Or is this on Fiber Optics just for testing purposes?

(sorry for all the questions, its just something I have no clue about.  :P)

Grk101,

Alpha Sat will be on DirecTV, what DKSat mentioned has nothing to do with who will be carrying the channel. Instead of transmitting the signal via satellite from Greece to North America, the company who is bringing Alpha Sat here is transmitting the signal through fibre optic cable. Once here, the signal will be uplinked to one of DirecTV's satellites so it can be made available to subscribers when the testing is finished.

Ok. Thank you. Makes perfect sense now. :D

Kind of defeats the purpose of the Sat part in Alpha Sat though. :P :P

Any set date for the channel yet? I mean end of the month?

Correct me if I am wrong but the Alpha satellite channel is not called Alpha Sat anymore. I believe they changed it to Alpha International.

Ziaka,

According to the Alpha TV website, they were calling it 'Alpha Sat' but as I mentioned above, that section has been removed and it appears that they are launching a seperate site for the international channel. The address for that is alphasat.gr

I guess we have to wait and see what it will be called.

• 2 weeks later...

Alot of providers now are opting for fibre optic these days cause it more reliable as it never goes out in bad weather which satellite is prone to and most fibre optic lines are cheaper to lease then satellite space

There is also that if they do go on satellite they have to encrypt it to keep out free viewers so more money again for an encryption licence look at Mega Cosmos when it went to DirecTV, DirecTV started protecting there commercial interests with encrypting it same will proberly happen with Alter once is moves

Im suprised you guys have so many FTA greek channels there and nobody encrypts them here in Australia there all encrypted where ever they are lol

Fibre optic is more the cheaper way these days

Fibre optic is more the cheaper way these days

If its cheeper, then we should pay LESS for the channel.

But I doubt that will happen... :(

Does anyone know if any specif company is going to hold the rights to the channel here in the US? Like Globe Star does with Mega and Alter?

Archived