Phantis Forums

LA GALAXY KEEP ADDING

evalagoal

WOW! Read the following report about the LA Galaxy..

I tell you what they are trying to become like the Reals, the Chelseas of the world..

The difference is going to be that these guys are just a bit older and just outside of their prime... No matter what it's GREAT for MLS Soccer.

Los Angeles Galaxy agree to terms with Portuguese defender Abel Xavier

CARSON, Calif. - The Los Angeles Galaxy today agreed to terms with Portuguese international defender Abel Xavier to join the club on a free transfer. The 34-year old defender, who can play both as a right back and a central defender, spent the last two seasons in the English Premier League with Middlesbrough, and has played in Germany, Holland, Italy, Portugal, Spain and Turkey during his 17-year professional career. Xavier is eligible to make his first team debut once the Secondary MLS Transfer Window opens on June 15. Per team and league regulations, details of the contract were not released.

"I'd like to thank Alexi Lalas, Frank Yallop and MLS for this opportunity," said Xavier. "Soccer is my life and I'm excited to continue my career in LA. Soccer in the United States continues to grow and I'm proud to be a part of it. I'm coming to win. With the great team and wonderful fans at the LA Galaxy everything is possible. I bring heart, hunger, desire and passion. This is me today, tomorrow, and always."

Originally born in Mozambique, Xavier was also eligible to play internationally for Portugal and he made his debut with the Portuguese National Team in 1993 against Switzerland. Over the next nine years, Xavier collected 20 caps for Portugal, scoring twice. He was on the Portugal roster and played four games at the 2000 European Championships where he helped his team reach the semifinals of the tournament in Holland and Belgium. Two years later, Xavier capped off his international career when he represented Portugal at the 2002 FIFA World Cup.

"Abel brings immense experience and a wonderful personality to our team," said LA Galaxy President and General Manager Alexi Lalas. "He's a great defender and we're excited that he's coming to LA."

Xavier began his club career in Portugal with Estrela Amadora. After three years there, he was transferred to Portuguese giants SL Benfica. He would help Benfica win the Portuguese League Championship in his first year with the club in the 1993-94 season before moving one once again a year later to Bari of Italy's Serie A. Xavier would spend one season in Italy before moving on again, this time to Real Oviedo of the Spanish La Liga. He would play for Oviedo for two seasons before joining PSV Eindhoven in Holland. Xavier won the Dutch Super Cup in his lone season at PSV, as he signed with Everton of the English Premier League.

Xavier would spend the next four seasons in England, playing with Everton from 1999-2001 and then with Liverpool from 2001-2003. A loan spell at Turkish power Galatasaray and a stint at Roma in Serie A would follow before Xavier returned to England prior to the start of the 2005-06 season, this time with Middlesbrough.

"This is a terrific signing for us and he will bring so much experience, leadership and ability to the team," said LA Galaxy Head Coach Frank Yallop. "People of his quality are not often available for us to sign, so we are really happy that he is going to join us."

NAME: Abel Xavier

PRONUNCIATION: AH-bell ZAH-vee-AIR

POSITION: Defender

HT: 6-1

WT: 180

DATE OF BIRTH: November 30, 1972 in Nampula, Mozambique

LAST CLUB: Middlesbrough (England)

NATIONALITY: Portuguese

ROSTER DESIGNATION: Senior International

TRANSACTION - Los Angeles Galaxy agreed to terms with defender Abel Xavier to join the club on a free transfer

WOW! Read the following report about the LA Galaxy..

I tell you what they are trying to become like the Reals, the Chelseas of the world..

The difference is going to be that these guys are just a bit older and just outside of their prime... No matter what it's GREAT for MLS Soccer.

Los Angeles Galaxy agree to terms with Portuguese defender Abel Xavier

CARSON, Calif. - The Los Angeles Galaxy today agreed to terms with Portuguese international defender Abel Xavier to join the club on a free transfer. The 34-year old defender, who can play both as a right back and a central defender, spent the last two seasons in the English Premier League with Middlesbrough, and has played in Germany, Holland, Italy, Portugal, Spain and Turkey during his 17-year professional career. Xavier is eligible to make his first team debut once the Secondary MLS Transfer Window opens on June 15. Per team and league regulations, details of the contract were not released.

"I'd like to thank Alexi Lalas, Frank Yallop and MLS for this opportunity," said Xavier. "Soccer is my life and I'm excited to continue my career in LA. Soccer in the United States continues to grow and I'm proud to be a part of it. I'm coming to win. With the great team and wonderful fans at the LA Galaxy everything is possible. I bring heart, hunger, desire and passion. This is me today, tomorrow, and always."

Originally born in Mozambique, Xavier was also eligible to play internationally for Portugal and he made his debut with the Portuguese National Team in 1993 against Switzerland. Over the next nine years, Xavier collected 20 caps for Portugal, scoring twice. He was on the Portugal roster and played four games at the 2000 European Championships where he helped his team reach the semifinals of the tournament in Holland and Belgium. Two years later, Xavier capped off his international career when he represented Portugal at the 2002 FIFA World Cup.

"Abel brings immense experience and a wonderful personality to our team," said LA Galaxy President and General Manager Alexi Lalas. "He's a great defender and we're excited that he's coming to LA."

Xavier began his club career in Portugal with Estrela Amadora. After three years there, he was transferred to Portuguese giants SL Benfica. He would help Benfica win the Portuguese League Championship in his first year with the club in the 1993-94 season before moving one once again a year later to Bari of Italy's Serie A. Xavier would spend one season in Italy before moving on again, this time to Real Oviedo of the Spanish La Liga. He would play for Oviedo for two seasons before joining PSV Eindhoven in Holland. Xavier won the Dutch Super Cup in his lone season at PSV, as he signed with Everton of the English Premier League.

Xavier would spend the next four seasons in England, playing with Everton from 1999-2001 and then with Liverpool from 2001-2003. A loan spell at Turkish power Galatasaray and a stint at Roma in Serie A would follow before Xavier returned to England prior to the start of the 2005-06 season, this time with Middlesbrough.

"This is a terrific signing for us and he will bring so much experience, leadership and ability to the team," said LA Galaxy Head Coach Frank Yallop. "People of his quality are not often available for us to sign, so we are really happy that he is going to join us."

NAME: Abel Xavier

PRONUNCIATION: AH-bell ZAH-vee-AIR

POSITION: Defender

HT: 6-1

WT: 180

DATE OF BIRTH: November 30, 1972 in Nampula, Mozambique

LAST CLUB: Middlesbrough (England)

NATIONALITY: Portuguese

ROSTER DESIGNATION: Senior International

TRANSACTION - Los Angeles Galaxy agreed to terms with defender Abel Xavier to join the club on a free transfer

Major League Soccer really is on the rise!

I totally agree..

I'm a coach here in Virginia Beach for a U11 Academy Travel Team and the number of kids playing this sport here is unbelievable.

What the problem is here in the US is that it has to battle w/ the other major sports like American Football, NBA and the always exciting baseball (YEAH RIGHT)

As we see MLS bringing in all these major names it's not only going to help the players that are currently playing but also the youth and it's going to have people excited to watch a game.

I kid-you-not me and my buddies are definitely going to be there when M_A_L_A_K_A Beckham steps on the field against DC United..

Archived