Phantis Forums

FREDDY ADU SIGNS WITH MLS!

jcl_jcl2002

The 14 yr old youngster's signed for 6 years and will be paid the most of any player in the league. He'll be with DC United. I think this is a good sign for MLS. They're showing some pulling power now. I know it's only a 14 year old, but there haven't been too many like him recently.

Hope he/his parents know what they are doing. If he is as good as he appears to be, he should be working with top level coaches and team mates. I am afraid that by signing with DC United he is selling himself short. Now is the time to learn his trade, unless he already knows it all.

It's obvious that he's just 14 and it's definetely a tender age. But this subject is a one that could be debated for days. He dominated the U-17s this year and played much better than some players that have held their own at 17 in MLS i.e. Eddie Gaven or Guillermo Gonzalez(he's unproven though). I figure that if he can outperform them on the U-17, why not in MLS? With a young central midfielder like Bobby Convey to help him grow and Hristo Stoichkov to push him a bit and a charismatic coach like Ray Hudson (who's got the best quotes anywhere), I think he can grow. He will be subject to intense scrutiny, observance and criticism. I don't think it's rational to say that he'll make a big impact immediately but I do think that it's realistic to say that he will show flashes of creativity and brilliance.

I remember when he was 12 he played in a scrimmage against San Jose and he nutmegged one of their best defensemen so badly that he made him fall. He did it more than once on him as well...

Diagnosis: Talented, Determined and Motivated, though still young and got a way to go.

hahahahHAHAHAH....first of all...the kid is not 14....he is at least 17 as he does not have a proper birth certificate because he was born in africa, so noone really but his parents know how old he is....the media hypes up that he is only 14 and it makes him look more spectacular then he already is...they could have said he was 10 if they wanted too....though he is incredble for his age, its a joke that he is 14...no 14 year old is built like that or can compete with 20 and above year old players....this is impossible unless he hit puberty at the age of 10 which i highly doubt....he is an amazing talent and an incredible player but the fact that people are saying he is 14 is a load of crap...i mean....im not trying to say he isnt good because he is INCREDIBLE but the age is not right.....and i know this because i have a very good friend that played with him on the national level in italy and spain...

hahahahHAHAHAH....first of all...the kid is not 14....he is at least 17 as he does not have a proper birth certificate because he was born in africa, so noone really but his parents know how old he is....

I do not know about Adu but you got a point there. African players often lie about their age, at times in ways so transparent that it becomes comical. Last case I read about was a college that used Nigerian players with patently false certificates.

I definetely see your point as well, but hear me out. I also have a friend who met him and played against him at the Dallas Cup last year. He also didn't believe that he was 14. He had a full-grown goatee and had arms ripped like a 20-yr old. Sports Illustrated, America's biggest sports magazine did a huge article on him early last year and also said that there was no way possible for him to be 14. They decided to investigate and did some sort of test on his spine which proved that he was 14. But I see your point.

Archived