Phantis Forums

Television documentary galtasaray v fernerbache

Hello my name is Kevin and i'm doing research for an Irish television documentary on the Istanbul derby. I would be interested in people's advise. In particular i was hoping people could reccomend bars and cafes or any other venues to visit which areasscoiated with either club. Any other information on the derby or the history of the clubs would also be gratefully received.

• 2 weeks later...

hello kevin, I hope these will help you...

"Galatasaray (1905) is the first football club of Turkish history. Besiktas was founded in 1903 but they waited till 1915 to open up their football branch."

"Fenerbahce (1907) is the leading football club in terms of Turkish Superleague. Fenerbahce won the domestic leage for 16 times. Galatasaray is currently second only one title behind."

"Both teams recorded some magnificent derbies in the past. The most recently remembered games are November 6, 2002 at Sukru Saracoglu Stadium when Fenerbahce trashed Galatasaray 6-0 and May 11, 2005 at Ataturk Olympic Stadium when Galatasaray hammered Fenerbahce 5-1."

"As for history, Galatasaray was founded by students of the Galatasaray High School which was ---and still is--- a private school teaching French. The item of French on the club suddenly made it a much more elitist one compared to Fenerbahce and Besiktas. Fenerbahce, on the other hand, is a club pertaining to the different classes of society. With a few exceptions, you can easily say that both clubs have around 20 mio. fans in Turkey."

"Galatasaray has always been a much more powerful European team than Fenerbahce. This is a factor which drives Fenerbahce fans and staff to display that they are better than Galatasaray at the derbies which makes the derbies more intense."

"Fenerbahce's venue is Sukru Saracoglu Stadium, having an all-seater capacity of 49,316. Galatasaray's venue is Ali Sami Yen, having a capacity of 22, 500 most of which is seated."

... more to come...

Archived