Phantis Forums

Excuses by ESPN

Ziaka

oh how happy i was when i heard that news kala na pathoun the arogant americans and that article by that clown reemphasises that point.

" Playing baseball at the Olympics without the U.S.? That's like holding the World Cup without hooligans. The next thing you know, they'll ban anorexia from Olympics gymnastics."

that is such a ridiculous comment who do they think they're if they're not good enough tough luck. same with holland not being in world cup who would think of that considering greats that have played for them but u don't hear them complaining. hahaha greek baseball team in and u.s.a out that's the best perfect timing 1st time greek baseball team in olympics and 1st time u.s.a baseball team out lol.

the sport is a vlakeia anyway but so good to hear when the highly rated americans lose and then have a teary. americanoi valte mualo your not the only ones who play sport endaxei.

Check out the excuses by ESPN concerning the failure of the US baseball team to qualify to the 2004 Olympics.

What American team? As far as I can tell, the US team was not on the field! What was on the field was a team of Americans who could not, would not, and did not in any way, shape, or form come remotely close to represent the sport such as it is practiced in the States. That this team failed to qualify is news to two categories of people:

1) Those who believe that Americans are so good at baseball that a random selection out of the phone book will result in an unbeatable baseball team.

2) Those who relish US defeats to such an extent that will stand up and notice each and everyt real or perceived failure.

(Maybe I should have created a third category for the "crowd" of ~250 who were present at the game).

Beyond that, I would assert that:

- baseball is not much of a sport,

- it should have no place in the Olympics (unless synchronized swimming is considered a precedent), and

- having games in which, for whatever reasons, the best practitioners do not participate might be bad for the practitioners but much worse for the games.

Therefore, stop feeling sorry for the US and start feeling sorry for the 2004 Olympics.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived