Phantis Forums

Rehagel to stay on as Greek Coach

jkermani

• 2 weeks later...

I am very pleased he will be with Greece :gr: till summer of 2008. :tup:

That makes him the 2nd longest tenured coach for Greece, 5/9/2001-2008.

Also the one with the longest continuous service.

Alketas Panagoulias did it in three terms:

8/9/1973 - 6/5/1976, 21/9/1977 - 29/11/1981, 2/9/1992 - 29/6/1994

PEACE

Good news and bad news; unless Otto rethinks his obstinacy regarding the current roll call, I'll be an Otto hater in no time flat.

He got lots of praise for a bravura performance last year, but goodwill doesn't last forever. Who should be out?

Zagorakis (great player but just too old to be a starter anymore)

Basinas (hasn't been playing in ages; out of match shape)

Vryzas (same with Theo)

Nikopolidis (detect a pattern yet?)

Charisteas (let him come back if he learns how to hustle)

If the idea is to build a team that is to compete in 3 years for a defense of their crown, none of those players should be on the high side of 29--a few veterans, sure, but who thinks Lymberopoulos, Dellas, Giannakopoulos et al should be shouldering any burden at this point? There are any number of above-average youngsters who should be getting playing time with the national team, even if only to test out their prowess.

He should be giving Lymbe his walking papers by the middle of next year unless he can't find a decent striker.

I'm glad Otto is back. I also agree that we need to see some serious changes in the line-up. Bring in the young guys.

I also believe that it should be a gradual move. It's obvious, even watching him playing for PAOK that he runs out of steam in the 2nd half. However with everything else that he contributes to the team he is still a valuable player.

Archived