Phantis Forums

Vassell to set sail for Manchester City

England international striker Darius Vassell will be given the chance to reignite his career after Premiership club Manchester City agreed to buy him for 2.5 million pounds from rivals Aston Villa.

The 25-year-old's form collapsed dramatically last season scoring just three goals in 21 appearances for Villa and Vassell - who is yet to undergo his medical - believes that the move, agreed Monday, can resurrect his career.

Similarly Villa manager David O'Leary denied he was having to sell Vassell so he could then buy a player.

"It's not fair to say I had to sell Darius to bring in money," O'Leary told the club website.

"That would be totally unfair on the club.

"I've got a budget where I have to try and get players in, but that's nothing to do with the Darius deal.

"He had a year left on his contract, we've been offered good money by Manchester City, so it suits everybody all round as it stands.

"But who knows - the player could maybe go up there and fail to agree terms, so it's not done yet."

Vassell, scorer of six goals in his 22 appearances for England, has scored 44 goals in 201 matches for Villa since making his debut in the 1998/99 season.

Archived