Phantis Forums

"Greece is a little country" is no excuse.

Grigoris

Honestly, I can't believe all the negativity and despair on this forum! So we hit a bit of a slump and all of a sudden, we're either "too small a country" to compete with the big boys, or that we've gone back to 1994 level, or that Greece's Euro win was a fluke. Have some faith! Injuries have affected us, no question. When 3/4 of your starting 4 at the back go down injured, it will affect you, especially if you're a defensive team. However, there is some good news. It is becoming more and more clear to everyone (including Otto I'm sure) that Vryzas and Charisteas are not cutting it in the front and that Papadopoulos and Amanatidis must get their chance sooner or later.

As far as the "small country" excuse goes, it's true that population does play a factor in the success of a national team but it doesn't mean that a small country can't field a competitive team against a bigger country. Greece can hang with the big boys; that was made clear by their win at Euro 2004. Now all we need are that our injured players heal up and ready themselves for the WC06 qualifiers starting in September.

we need academies and coaches to develope our own football style.

no football infrastructure = players with poor off the ball and positioning skills. this sums up greek footballers whether we win the euro or lose to albania.

Obviously but I think first you need a change in mentlity and attitude for that to happen.

Look at the news today, FIFA chief met with EPO over the government inteferring with sport and he was quoted as saying:

"It is disappointing because the federation behind the reigning European champions should be a role model organisation, but this is not the case."

It seems they haven't learned a thing from last summer and what's even more disappointing is this is not the first time EPO have been warned about this issue.

to me, the issue of old negative greek staseis and nootropies many players exhibit is seperate from the greed, corruption and incompetance surrounding epo which holds back greek football.

epo was richly rewarded for the euro. if greed is their only motivator, surely they now understand that it benefits them for greece to keep qualifying for major tournaments. this way, they can stuff their pockets with more euros than they can ever dream of.

to only way to insure this, is to build a few academies and a football infrastructure...for higher quality players to keep the money tree growing.

you make a good point but there is also the issue of getting the money out of the corrupt hands of the EPO.....the last i heard some players have not yet received their euro bonuses they were promised. how can we talk infrastructure when there is still this issue.

Archived