Phantis Forums

Canadian grand prix

Iliana

from f1racing.net

Canadian GP fact file

2005 marks the 37th Canadian Grand Prix and the 27th to be held in Montreal. The first Canadian GP was staged in Mosport in 1967, with a further seven to follow. Mont-Tremblant has hosted two GPs. Montreal has been hosting the Formula One race since 1978. The circuit is named after the winner of the inaugural GP, Canadian driver Gilles Villeneuve.

The city of Montreal, named after the Mont Royal mountain, was founded by French explorers as Ville-Marie-de-Montréal in 1642. Montreal is in the French-speaking province of Quebec and is situated between a branch of the Ottawa River mouth and the Saint Lawrence River.

The city has a population of more than a million. Conditions are extremely cold in winter, but in the warm, summer months the inhabitants come alive with activity. The complex on Notre Dame Island, where the non-permanent race track is situated, played host to the World Expo in 1967 and the Olympic Games in 1976. The Formula One paddock runs along the former rowing basin.

Posted Image

last 5 years' winners:

2004: M.Schumacher, Ferrari

2003: M.Schumacher, Ferrari

2002: M.Schumacher, Ferrari

2001: R.Schumacher, BMW.Williams

2000: M.Schumacher, Ferrari

Qualifying Results

Pos. Driver Team Time

1 J. Button BAR 1:15.217

2 M. Schumacher Ferrari 1:15.475

3 F. Alonso Renault 1:15.561

4 G. Fisichella Renault 1:15.577

5 JP. Montoya McLaren 1:15.669

6 T. Sato BAR 1:15.729

7 K. Raikkonen McLaren 1:15.923

8 J. Villeneuve Sauber 1:16.116

9 J. Trulli Toyota 1:16.201

10 R. Schumacher Toyota 1:16.362

11 F. Massa Sauber 1:16.661

12 D. Coulthard Red Bull 1:16.890

13 N. Heidfeld Williams 1:17.081

14 M. Webber Williams 1:17.749

15 C. Albers Minardi 1:18.214

16 C. Klien Red Bull 1:18.249

17 N. Karthikeyan Jordan 1:18.664

18 T. Monteiro Jordan 1:19.034

19 P. Friesacher Minardi 1:19.574

20 R. Barrichello Ferrari no time

WHAT A RACE!!!!!! :nw:

Both Montoya and Alonso showed everyone their class and talent....especially Alonso, whom his ego has reached the skies...now he kissed the wall and said goodbye :LOL: :LOL:

ok I don't put all the blame on Montoya's shoulders about the BLACK FLAG, his team should've told him not to exit the pit lane at that time! but...before that, he almost crashed in the pit exit!!! :LOL:

Race report from f1racing.net

Raikkonen wins Canadian Grand Prix!

Kimi Raikkonen won a thrilling climax to the Canadian Grand Prix from a late charging Michael Schumacher and Rubens Barrichello. The race was an event of high attrition in which just eleven cars made it to the finish.

Giancarlo Fisichella and Fernando Alonso made strong starts to the race putting their Renaults in first and second positions respectively as Michael Schumacher slipped down to sixth and pole-sitter Jenson Button fell to third. Home hero Jacques Villeneuve got into trouble on the first lap and ended up pitting for a new front wing.

At the front Fisichella led Alonso, Button, Montoya, Raikkonen and Michael Schumacher. Michael Schumacher was the first driver to make a pit stop on lap 12. The German was clearly on a three-stop strategy and was followed in on the next lap by Jenson Button, who had adopted a similar strategy to help him win pole.

As the Renaults continued to lead, McLaren began to pile on the pressure as their first pit stops approached. Raikkonen went fastest on lap 23 before making his first pit stop at the same time as Alonso. On the next lap Fisichella made his stop from the lead, followed in by Montoya. The Colombian had a scary moment when he ran wide at turn two on cold tyres.

As the drivers settled back into the groove it became clear that Alonso was faster than Fisichella and was desperate to get past his team mate and take the lead. Alonso did not have to wait long as Fisichella's hydraulics failed on lap 32 releasing the championship leader into first place.

Alonso led Montoya and Raikkonen until the remaining Renault driver ran wide in the first sector and slapped his rear right tyre against the barriers. Suspension damage was not repairable and Alonso watched the rest of the race from the pit lane.

Montoya scooped the lead and was comfortably ahead of team mate Raikkonen. Things were about to get interesting as Jenson Button ran too deep into the final chicane, bounced over the kerbs and crashed into the wall. His BAR Honda was stranded on the pit straight and the safety car was deployed.

Raikkonen reacted immediately jumping into the pit lane for his final stop. Montoya had to follow the safety car around for a lap before making his stop. The Colombian zoomed out of the pits and rejoined the race behind Raikkonen who was now in the lead. Michael Schumacher meanwhile made his third and final stop of the afternoon and was up to third place.

The even greater tragedy struck for Montoya as race stewards disqualified him for apparently leaving the pit lane under a red light. The Colombian cruised back to the pit lane and retired in fury.

Raikkonen retained the lead and despite a final charge by Michael Schumacher won the Canadian Grand Prix by just over one second. Rubens Barrichello claimed third place after starting from the pit lane and Felipe Massa rounded a great result for Sauber with fourth. The Brazilian held of a final lap charge from Mark Webber who made do with fifth place in his Williams.

Ralf Schumacher brought his Toyota home in sixth ahead of the two Red Bulls of Coulthard and Christian Klien who scooped the final points. Villeneuve never really recovered from his first lap disaster and ended the race ninth ahead of Monteiro and Christijan Albers.

Raikkonen has now closed the gap to Alonso to 22 points and McLaren is just 13 points behind Renault in the constructors championship. Toyota is now tied with BMW Williams in third place on 47 points and Ferrari is fifth with 45 points.

Posted Image

next grand prix in 1 week at Indianapolis, USA!

what an annoying gp, everyone just cant race anymore, and yes, i am annoyed with what happened with juan pablo, WHAT INJUSTICE!!!!

Injustice??? rules are rules. Montoya should've known that when there's a red light in the pit exit, you don't cross the line! and his team should've known better!

btw, was his slip coming out of the pit lane earlier in the race injustice as well?? :LOL:

I said it wasn't 100% his fault!

I was agreeing with u!!!!

Heres a story for you to get ur teeth into, lol: During a live broadcast after the qualifying round on saturday, Louise Goodman, from the ITV F1 team, was tlking to David Coulthard about him finishing 12th place on the grid:

GOODMAN: 'Have you been practising with that pit lane speed limiter?

COULTHARD: 'Yeah I have. I've just been imagining it's your nipples. I'm being a bit more gentle with it when I take my finger off it at the end of the pit lane.

GOODMAN: (laughing) 'Thank you very much, David.'

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I wander what would have happened if Schumi did the think in the pit like Montoya... As usual everybody would have done the papia :whistle: afterwards saying how great Schumi was!!!

OYST!!!! :box: :box: :box:

And Fisichela had a car problem that is why Alsonso wanted to overtake him... It wasn't anything about ego and as soon as Alonso got in front then Fisichela retired with gearbox problems.... ;)

Anyway as long as Schumi didn't win then that is fine by me!!!! :tup:

Michael Schumacher has been given a penalty every time he does something that breaks the rules.

and you obviously don't know that at Friday's Free Practice session, Briatore uses only Fisichella's car to make laps and get info about which tyre the team will choose for the race...Alonso's car stays safe in the garage...maybe that's an explanation why all the mechanical problems are on fisico's car? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Michael Schumacher has been given a penalty every time he does something that breaks the rules.

and you obviously don't know that at Friday's Free Practice session, Briatore uses only Fisichella's car to make laps and get info about which tyre the team will choose for the race...Alonso's car stays safe in the garage...maybe that's an explanation why all the mechanical problems are on fisico's car? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That reminds me of an era when Irvine was at Ferrari...... He had always car problems, while Schumi had a Tank, free of colliding with other drivers, and getting them off the track!!!! ;)

no, Irvine was doing an excellent job with trying to overtake someone but he ended up in the gravel instead! :rolleyes:

Archived