Phantis Forums

European Grand Prix

Iliana

FIA (finally!) changed the qualifying system and from now on there'll be only 1 qualifying session on Saturday with fuel for the race! Meanwhile BAR Honda is back in business after the 2 race ban.

Who'll win at the Nurburgring?

Who'll walk away with the Nurburgring's shiniest trophy? McLaren's Kimi Raikkonen has, dominantly, won the last two grands prix at Spain and Monaco. "It'll be difficult to win again," the Finn said in Germany, "but we should have a good car and be in with a chance."

Kimi, 25, has an eye on BAR, who return from a two race ban. He said: "They will be strong, I think."

Perhaps deliberately, Raikkonen didn't even mention title leader and winner of fifty per cent of the six grands prix so far, Fernando Alonso. "We're back at a normal circuit," Renault's Spaniard said after the extreme tyre wear at Monaco. "I think we should be back and competitive."

What about Ferrari? "It's hard to say," Alonso, 23, continued. "At Imola they were good but that was the only good one really so far."

from f1racing.net

Qualifying

Pos. Driver Team Time

1 N. Heidfeld Williams 1:30.081

2 K. Raikkonen McLaren 1:30.197

3 M. Webber Williams 1:30.368

4 J. Trulli Toyota 1:30.700

5 JP. Montoya McLaren 1:30.890

6 F. Alonso Renault 1:31.056

7 R. Barrichello Ferrari 1:31.249

8 R. Schumacher Toyota 1:31.392

9 G. Fisichella Renault 1:31.566

10 M. Schumacher Ferrari 1:31.585

11 F. Massa Sauber 1:32.305

12 D. Coulthard Red Bull 1:32.553

13 J. Button BAR 1:32.594

14 V. Liuzzi Red Bull 1:32.642

15 J. Villeneuve Sauber 1:32.891

16 T. Sato BAR 1:32.936

17 T. Monteiro Jordan 1:35.047

18 P. Friesacher Minardi 1:35.954

19 N. Karthikeyan Jordan 1:36.192

20 C. Albers Minardi 1:36.239

First pole ever for Heidfeld. The last time that a Williams was on pole, was back in Canada 2004 by Ralf Schumacher.

he he. We are still waiting for the update on what happened to the race? :P :P

P.S. By the way this new systems with tyre changing, sucks BIG TIME!!! All drivers had problems with their tyres towards the end of the race. I mean what the hell are these rules all about... Strategy goes to the recucle bin and everything is left to luck to avoid being off the track by a blown tyre... :P

Raikonnen just lost the victory by these stupid rulings!!! :angry:

P.S. 2. Was Schumi in the race by the way.... :P :P :P

P.S. By the way this new systems with tyre changing, sucks BIG TIME!!! All drivers had problems with their tyres towards the end of the race. I mean what the hell are these rules all about... Strategy goes to the recucle bin and everything is left to luck to avoid being off the track by a blown tyre... :P

that was the only way to stop Ferrari's dominance and all this stuff about FIA making the F1 cars slower and safer is crap! :rolleyes:

Alonso snatches victory in last lap thriller

Fernando Alonso snatched victory in the European Grand Prix on a dramatic final lap when Kimi Raikkonen's front-right tyre exploded sending him out of the lead. Raikkonen had until that point led for almost the entire race. Nick Heidfeld brought his Williams home in second place ahead of Ferrari's Rubens Barrichello.

It was cooler than expected but still uncharacteristically warm and sunny at the Nurburgring. The heat got to Giancarlo Fisichella's Renault which stalled on the grid forcing an aborted start. The rest of the field filed past the stricken Renault to complete a second formation lap and lined up for a second bite of the cherry.

Both Williams made reasonable starts but Raikkonen squeezed through into first place. Heidfeld held onto second while Webber braked late into the first corner and fast-starting Montoya turned in sharply and the two collided sending Webber out of the race and Montoya into a spin. Ralf Schumacher was also caught up in the accident while Michael Schumacher had to take evasive action to avoid the accident and ended up dropping to the back of the grid.

At the end of the first lap Raikkonen led Heidfeld, Trulli and David Coulthard keeping his head through the carnage to go from twelfth to fourth ahead of Fernando Alonso. Felipe Massa moved up to sixth ahead of Liuzzi and Button.

Heidfeld continued to match Raikkonen's hot lap times as the pair extended their lead over Jarno Trulli to ten seconds by lap six. Meanwhile the Toyota driver was given a drive-through penalty for an infringement by his mechanics who failed to clear the grid in time for the first start. As Trulli served his penalty Fisichella had made his way up to twelfth from the back of the grid and Rubens Barrichello had carved past Button and Liuzzi to seventh place.

The first pit stops came as early as lap eleven when Barrichello refuelled in sixth place. Pole sitter Nick Heidfeld made his first pit stop on lap twelve. Kimi Raikkonen continued to lead David Coulthard and Fernando Alonso who all had yet to pit.

Kimi Raikkonen pitted earlier than expected on lap eighteen releasing David Coulthard into the lead of the race and rejoining the action just behind Fernando Alonso, though the leading duo had yet to pit.

Coulthard refuelled on lap twenty followed in by Michael Schumacher as Alonso took the lead and had pulled out a six second lead over Kimi Raikkonen on lap 21. David Coulthard's afternoon was dealt a blow on lap 24 with a drive-through penalty for speeding in the pit lane as Fernando Alonso dived into the pit lane to refuel.

Kimi Raikkonen made an unforced error and ran off track letting Heidfeld through into the lead of the race but McLaren were not concerned as Heidfeld soon came into the pits for his second stop of three.

The next phase of the race saw little change. Fernando Alonso put the hammer down when Raikkonen made his final pit stop and while he set a new fastest lap he did run wide and lost a full seven seconds recovering to the tarmac.

Drama came in the final ten laps when as Raikkonen struggled with a flat-spotted right front tyre and was lapping over a second a lap slower than Alonso who was closing in on the McLaren. Sniffing victory Alonso was on a charge, scything through back markers in his pursuit of Raikkonen.

Alonso had closed to within 1.5s of Raikkonen in the final lap when the Finn's front suspension failed dramatically as a result of the incredible vibrations caused by the damaged tyre. The front right of his McLaren fell apart on the final lap and sending him out of the race. Disaster for McLaren just one lap from victory allowing Fernando Alonso through to take victory and extend his lead in the drivers' championship.

An ecstatic Alonso won his fourth race of the season ahead of Nick Heidfeld who finishes second for the second successive weekend. Rubens Barrichello gave Ferrari some cause for celebration by finishing third ahead of Red Bull Racing's David Coulthard. Michael Schumacher salvaged another four points by finishing fifth ahead of Giancarlo Fisichella, Juan Pablo Montoya and Jarno Trulli.

Pos. Driver Team Time Points

1 F. Alonso Renault 1:31:46.648 10

2 N. Heidfeld Williams + 16.567 8

3 R. Barrichello Ferrari + 18.549 6

4 D. Coulthard Red Bull + 31.588 5

5 M. Schumacher Ferrari + 50.445 4

6 G. Fisichella Renault + 51.932 3

7 JP. Montoya McLaren + 58.173 2

8 J. Trulli Toyota + 1:11.091 1

9 V. Liuzzi Red Bull + 1:11.529 0

10 J. Button BAR + 1:35.786 0

11 K. Räikkönen McLaren + 1 laps 0

12 T. Sato BAR + 1 laps 0

13 J. Villeneuve Sauber + 1 laps 0

14 F. Massa Sauber + 1 laps 0

15 T. Monteiro Jordan + 1 laps 0

16 N. Karthikeyan Jordan + 1 laps 0

17 C. Albers Minardi + 2 laps 0

18 P. Friesacher Minardi + 3 laps 0

Did not finish

19 R. Schumacher Toyota + 25 laps 0

20 M. Webber Williams + 59 laps 0

from f1racing.net

pappou I'm glad you found the way back from DA CAPI of Kolonaki! not like the last time when we lost you! :P

P.s. Did Schumi pull a life threatening move on the drivers again? First his team-mate then his brother, who next? The pope?

Yes he did his ALHTEIA again!!! Even his 2nd driver spoke against him...

Schumi of course said that he is racing in order to compete not just be part of a race.. Of course for Schumi putting lives in danger doesn't mean anything... :angry:

ANTE GEIA SCHUMI!!!! :tup: :box:

Yes he did his ALHTEIA again!!! Even his 2nd driver spoke against him...

:rolleyes: that was in Monaco not Nurburgring.

Schumi of course said that he is racing in order to compete not just be part of a race..

can you blame him??

and something else: in Barcelona 2001, Hakkinen was leading the race with Schumacher having huge vibrations on the steering wheel because of one bad tyre situation, but only a few meters after crossing the line for the last lap, Mika retired and Schumacher won the race. look what happened at the parc ferme afterwards...

Posted Image

that shows the quality of Michael Schumacher :tup:

and btw, it has happened to MS as well...to leading a race but giving the win to someone else due to mechanical problems :rolleyes:

and tell me something else: what are you drinking and you're not giving to us??? (ti pineis kai den mas dineis??) :box:

there equally boring races this season so far like in 2004...you can't accuse someone for winning!

Pappoy,

You got it all wrong my friend Tryfilli....

I am actually very fond of Mathematics... I think mathematics is one of the few sciences (along with medicine) that you can actually learn something... I always say that I wanted my first degree to be in Mathematics instead of that Business Admin. theoretical crap, but I was too lazy to study Maths at the time....

Also I have read few novels as well with mathematical context. i.e. O theios Petros kai h eikasia toy Goldbach.... which wasa brilliant book!!!

Now my comment was purely concentrated on the movie, which wasa typical Coultouro-movie... However its plot was quite interesting.... Beautiful Mind I think was much better.....

I wish I knew more about Mathematics all together, because in the finance business they are of outmost importance......

P.S. Any good mathematical movie to suggest? I can suggest several good finance movies such as "Trading Places" (Eddie Murphy) or "Wall Street" which is the true BIBLE of life!!! :tup:

I dont know alot of mathematical movies other than A beuatiful mind like you sed and Good Will Hunting, although hardly any mathematics is quoted.

A good financial film is ofcourse 'Rogue Trader' quality.

I havent actually done any mathematics for about a year, but in september i'll be starting pure maths in Uni cant wait, should be quality :tup:

Archived