Phantis Forums

Champions league series

chameleon65

The Champions League Series is again going to be played this summer across North America. The company in New Jersey hasn't officially released their schedule but finally after a lot of pessure from local media, fans and the like convinced them to add the city to the tournament.

It's been confirmed that Juventus and Barcelona will play in Montreal's Olympic stadium which can hold close to 60k. Excellent stuff. It should be a packed venue.

More to follow...

Yea, I figured if a Greek team wanted to make a few bucks and get a ton of exposure, they could try to get in on this. Even playing a friendly against an MLS team would generate some intrest in the soccer community (at least those areas w/ MLS teams). I think Galatasary has done this before as have some smaller European teams.

Greek teams (I think PAO more so then OSFP, AEK, and PAOK) could draw really well in Chicago, NYC, Toronto, Montreal and even Boston. Wash DC usually gets shafted for this sorta thing (near where I live, same with Baltimore and Philly) and probably will now that the Washington Nationals (baseball) share the stadium and tear up our field.

This year I doubt I'd be surprised if it happened, as PAO and OSFP both supply quite a few players to the NT. That along with the NT having 2 early qualifiers in early june (4th and 8th) along with the Confederations Cup afterwards, I think our players will be too burned out. And it would be stupid to field a "reserve" team (like Man U and a couple of other teams have done before) that'll get blown out and embarassed here in the USA/Canada. Oh well...if anyone could pass along info for this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Where do you guys hear about this news? I know the champions league series has a website but i can't remember it.

About Greek clubs going, forget it, with a very important month of June for the national team it's highly unlikely even though there are quite large Greek communities in the cities mentioned.

For all the info check out their site:

http://www.championsworld.com

As for greek teams coming over here most likely not since obviously they bring the crowds using the traditional strong teams and they need to make some profit since it costs big bucks to make this tournament happen.

I should have put this thread on other topics instead of here so as not to confuse with the UEFA league. Excuse me for the error.

Archived