Phantis Forums

Friendlies - Are They A Waste Of Time?

Alexa

Recently my team, played a friendly match and during the game one of our players picked up a secere injury that will keep him out of the game for approx 12 months.

My question is: Are friendlies really worth it during the season?

I understand that the same injury could easily have happened in a competitive match but, why take risks in meaningless games. Specially since our squad is small already in comparison to other clubs.

Wouldn't call them a "waste" as you need them to give younger players some time on the pitch, try out players recovering from injuries and other players you are hoping to acquire.

Unfortunately, injuries are a risk of the game.

There are other risks as well: I remember, 10 - 15 years back, a couple of major clubs needed some cash so they arranged a friendly between them. Their fans - who apparently do not understand the word "friendly" - decided to have a fight in the stands which caused the local FA to fine both clubs more money than they had taken in at this friendly. :(

I realise what you are saying but, as we have a very small squad as it is - and are already missing at least four key players at the moment - in retrospect would it not have been better for the manager to use that 'free' Saturday in question as a training/practice session?

What I should point out is; the opponents were an amateur club and in sense were always going to be slower to the tackle. Thus, innocently enough, could in fact have more chance of 'catching' our players with a late tackle and therefore possibly lead to further injuries.

Training session? It seems to me more players get injured in training sessions than in competitive games! :blink:

PS. How is it that Dundela have such a small squad when lesser teams have seconds that compete in a league by themselves? :huh:

My friend we don't even have a second team. :o

Other teams in our league are paying their players at least double what ours get.

Now tell me, if you had the choice of playing for us or another team in our league, which would you chose? :rolleyes:

Now tell me, if you had the choice of playing for us or another team in our league, which would you chose?

There is a saying in Antrim: beggars can't be choosers!

As for the matter of playing a friendly with a depleted squad, there is also another theory I have: Maybe your man is an eejit! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived