Phantis Forums

PAOK 84/85 Greek Champion/Kostikos

Nikolaos

Hey Ziaka, or anyone else, what do you remember about PAOK's last Championship back in 84/85? I unfortunately just missed it, because I lived in Greece from 1978-1983 (from 8-13 years old).... Looking at PAOK's history on their web site, PAOK started and remained in first place for the whole 84/85 season!! Must of been quite the run. Also I noticed Giorgos Kostikos, my favorite player back then, was still on the team! :D Do you remember if he contributed much that season? I also heard that he ended up with Olympiakos at the end of his career. How did that happen? What do you remember of Kostikos?

Thanks, Niko

Niko

I was in Greece for the first half of that season. Kostikos did contribute with PAOK in that season along with Dimopoulos, Alavantas, Skartados and Vasilakos who were PAOK's main players in that season.

I remember beating Olympiakos in Toumba with a last minute penalty by Skartados (1-0), we drew against AEK in Nea Filadelphia 2-2 with a last minute equaliser and that famous 1-0 win in Athens over Panathinaikos with a goal from Papritsa.

Also in that season PAOK overturned a 2-0 first leg loss in the semi final of the cup against Panathinaikos by wining the second leg by 4-0 with Kostikos scoring a spectacular scissors kick before injuring himself. Unfortunately PAOK missed out on the double by going down to Larissa in the Cup final by 4-1.

Kostikos transferred to Diagoras of Rhodes and then finished his carreer at Olympiakos.

That's what I remember from that season of PAOK.

Thanks for the info paokg4, I appreciate it!

I remember the championship run very well, but only followed it through Greek newspapers that managed to make it across the Atlantic.

The title by PAOK was not expected. PAOK had some great results as paokg4 notes. The wion over Olympiakos at Toumba was in front of 42,000 fans, while the win against PAO in the Olympic Stadium was played before 74,000 fans (something unheard of these days).

PAOK only lost three games that season: at OFI 1-3, at Aris 0-3, and against Olympaikos in Athens 1-2.

Unfortunately the title run did not repeat the following season, when the team finished in a dismal 10th place. I remember that well, since I was in Thessaloniki in December of 1985, and saw several games at Toumba, with PAOK fans being very unhappy with the team.

Posted Image

Iosifidis battles Saravakos in a game against Panathinaikos (1-1) at Toumba Stadium in 1984.

Posted Image

The championship winning team for 1985: PAOK Thessaloniki

Thanks Ziaka for the pics and memories! Wow, 74,000 and 42,000 fans... that's insane. We're have all the fans gone?

Is it the threat of violence :tdown: that's keeping people away?

Archived