Phantis Forums

QPR - AEK UEFA Cup 1976-77 season

Guest LoftusLad

Guest LoftusLad

Hi guys, I am a fan of QPR, from London. We are currently in division 2 in the English league, with a strong chance of making the first division next season.

The reason I am posting here, is because, for a brief period in the 70's we were one of the best teams in England, and in 1975-76 season finished 1 point off the league championship to the great Liverpool of the 70's. The next season we of course made the UEFA cup, and we had a great run, reaching the quater-finals, where we came up against none other than....AEK!

The first leg finished 3-0 to QPR, the second leg AEK ran out 3-0 winners, and then AEK won on penalties.

The reason I am posting this is because I was not born at that time, and I would really love to hear about the match from a Greek perspective, and what AEK fans thought of QPRs best ever team at that time?

Any information from anyone who can remember the tie would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Hi mate, and thanks again for posting your question here. As I told you I was too young back then to remember details.

But I am sure "Irlandos" should have a good recollection of events to give an interesting aswer for you (right Yianni!? :) )

So welcome to the forum

Enjoy

Dimitris

Why does everyone think of me as the old man with the memories? :P

The late '70s were AEK's glory years as well as QPR's. Superstars Papaioannou and Mavros both played on that team and this was our best run in Europe.

I remember our players being confident even after the 0-3 loss but what followed was bedlam.

Here's something from an AEK site on the matchup:

From AEK.com

Archived