Phantis Forums

Was Athens a mistake?

aaronaugi1

Thanks for the web site, very helpful and a good source for pictures. I dont believe that the Olympics are "Fakes" these days as you have vioced in your opinion. Everytime the Olympics is held a certain community spirit is lifted and everyone seems to be alot happier and joyful. When the games came to Sydney, were i live, It brang everyone in Sydney and accross Australia for the 16 days of the games in a celebration of Australias achievements and the spirit of the olympic games. I would like to see more events at the Athens games held in Olympia but i dont think having the games there every time is justified. Sorry if i have have taken your comment to seriously

My argument is that Olympics have become commercialized in such a big way that only a small amount of countries in the world can really host them. Look, I don't mind the Olympics moving but are you sayng that you like the Olympics being in the States every 3- 4 Olympics. Will we see any Olympics in Africa and South America? No. Soon costs will become so high that only a handful of countries will be able to host the commercialized event. It has become a business and I doubt that the Olympic spirit is as strong as it used to be. Athletes win Gold medals now because they know that they will get a deal to endorse products and make big money. The true Olympic spirit is in the the athletes that don't have the funding to compete at the high levels of their counterparts. Unfortunately, these athletes have no chance as training and performance enhancing drugs have become more important than talent. In the old days you would hear of a sheppard winning the marathon as was the case in 1896 in Athens. Now it's about greed.

I must agree that the the Spirit of the Olympic is not like it used to be, but, still lives on. But obviously now sport has become a greater force in everyone life and, yes, some people resort to drugs and become greedy. But these are only a hand ful of people who have no brains, lol.

I believe that a games, will, be held in an African or South American nation in the next 20years, (5-6 Olympics). On top of this Cape Town, South Africa has expressed interest to host the 2016 games as it has had great success in recent sporting events (Cricket World Cup 2003, Rugby World Cup, Likely to host Soccer World Cup 2010) I doubt that the games will be held in South America anytime soon though as there finacial conditon and quality of venues are very poor. I think it may be possible that an US-South American bid could come together.

All in all eventully the games will make it to every continet. But first i think they need to earn the right to hold the games, and lift there act. Until this happens the IOC will proboly continue to award the games to countries, that have proboly already held them, unfortuntly.

It is hard to say weather the IOC will give the loser of 2012 the games and i think that it is very doubtful that they will, alot can happen over four years. Besides if they dont get the games, FIFA has alreaddy pomissed Africa the World Cup in 2010 or 2014, this will proboly go to South Africa or Eygpt.

Archived