Phantis Forums

Holland Vs Greece

What about ERT? I believe that they have the rights in Greece, don't they? So why can't they get them for N. America??

I am sick of this, why can't we watch our Ethniki here in N.America, are we second class citizens or something?

Look at all the other channels that broadcast games from their National teams:

RAI- Italy

RTP- Portugal

TVE- Spain

Channel One- Russia*

TV Polonia- Poland*

*- Not 100% sure about these.

So why then can't ERT or Mega show the games, there may be some people who would subscribe to these channels just for the soccer- so the idiots would be making money!

No games broadcast on TV, no jerseys available to buy, makes me want to seriously reconsider my support for this team. They better do something in Portugal unlike USA '94 or else I am through with them!

HellasHab, it's complicated. I am sure that ERT-Sat or for that matter Mega or Antenna would like to provide coverage of the Ethniki games. I think the problem lies with EPO who sells the rights to the games.

EPO usually sells the international rights for the games to the highest bidders. Usually it is some European company that later on sub-licences the games to other broadcasting entities, such as Setenta Sports or tele-Antena in the US. EPO does that, because that's how they are able to make the most money from the national team.

How can that situation change? One way is for the government to step in and tell EPO, that all the games should be available to the omogeni everywhere on ERT-Sat. However that would mean that EPO would want to be compensated for the revenue that would be lost. And it looks like that the Greek government does not want to do that.

The examples of other countries you mention shows that the governments, as well as sports authorities of those countries really appreciate their compatriots abroad and make arrangements for the games of those countries to be available. Too bad Greek authorities can't do the same.

For anyone living in Toronto there is a sports bar on St. Clair Ave W near Dufferin that I more than certain that will show the Holland vs. Greece game. The name of the sports bar is La Romano Sports Bar, 1284-86 St. Clair Ave. West, Tel 416-652-6292. He gets the ESPN Dos channel which is always televised on one tv and the other tv he is always showing games from the GolTV channel.

ESPN Dos and ESPN Latin America will show the game.

I more than certain he gets either the Dos or Latin America channel, from what I remeber the ESPN Dos channel.

ESPN Dos will show the game on tape delay from 8pm - 10pm. If he happens to have the Latin America channel it will be shown from 7pm - 9pm.

Call the guy to make sure, his name is Carlos.

Exocet

For anyone living in Toronto there is a sports bar on St. Clair Ave W near Dufferin that I more than certain that will show the Holland vs. Greece game. The name of the sports bar is La Romano Sports Bar, 1284-86 St. Clair Ave. West, Tel 416-652-6292. He gets the ESPN Dos channel which is always televised on one tv and the other tv he is always showing games from the GolTV channel.

ESPN Dos and ESPN Latin America will show the game.

I more than certain he gets either the Dos or Latin America channel, from what I remeber the ESPN Dos channel.

ESPN Dos will show the game on tape delay from 8pm - 10pm. If he happens to have the Latin America channel it will be shown from 7pm - 9pm.

Call the guy to make sure, his name is Carlos.

Exocet

Thanks for the info, Exocet. I might visit the place in the evening after work to watch a little bit of the replay.

For watching the game in the Toronto area, ESPN Latin America will show the game and not ESPN DOS. But I called Romana Sports Bar and they will show the game provided the ESPN Latin America will show the game.

The game will be shown live at 2:30pm and replayed at 7pm.

Exocet

Archived