Phantis Forums

What happened to Athinaikos and Ethnikos Piraeus?

ILoveAthens

I remember the last time I was in Greece, in 1996, they were playing in the A' division.

Now i cannot believe they got three relegations in eight years!

Went they bankrupt?

Have they any possibility of starting the climbing next year? (i mean, are they now financially good?)

thanks

Hello and welcome to the forums

Athinaikos is the second team of Vyronas, Athens after Doxa Vyronos.

But Athinaikos were helped by Panathinaikos back then when Panathinaikos were holding the reigns of Greek Soccer.

I wouldnt be surprised that all this drop in divisions might be due to Olympiakos coming into the forefront and taking "revenge" for all the damage Athinaikos did to them back then on behalf of Panathinaikos their Archrivals. ;) :lol:

Anyway, back to a serious note. Athinaikos is not a bad club, but for those smaler clubs their Board and President and their personal Economic welfare play a major role in the clubs future and chances of promotion.

And again seriously, affiliation with biger teams do play a major part.

For the time being Athinaikos look to be absolutelly harmless. Not even close to the beginnings of their clorious past.

Once they even nealy knocked out Manchster United off Europe (1992)! Man Utd passed after a 0-0 in Greece and 0-0 at Old Traffors only to score twice at extratime! (needless to say half of Panathinaikos old squad was playing for Athinaikos back then... ;) )

Actually Athinaikos went bancrupt last year and it was demoted from B' division directly to the D' division.

And I don't think that their demotions have much to do with being friendly to PAO and against Olympiakos. It mostly has to do with their former owner Kalogiannis. This guy has good connections with ref and the organizations that run Greek football (EPO, EPAE). When he left the team went down. Now Kalogiannis is the major shareholder of A.O. Kerkyra (Corfu) and he is leading the team to the A' division.

They are midtable in a Group of Division D where Aiolikos and Atromitos Agias Marinas are too.

So being on the Island of Mytilini at the moment I managed to see them lose (!) against Atromitos earlier this season!

Pitty to see them down there too!

Archived