Phantis Forums

FREE Greek TV anywhere in the world....

It is not free. It costs $199, plus the high-speed internet connection.

And the set of Greek channels you offer is not decent for its price

(let alone the legality of the system).

Sure, if you want to watch it on your TV - you can buy the device for $199, but it is not required (you could always connect your PC to TV if you wanted) or just watch on your PC)

And, if you don't have a broadband connection, you are correct, you would have to pay for that. But 400,000,000 people in the world have broadband.

Regarding legality...the streams are coming DIRECTLY FROM THE CHANNELS themselves.

I question this service as well, I could not get any channels to work for me. Every one I clicked on did not work and I don't think these streams are all from the broadcasters. As far as I know Alpha TV & Alter do not offer any free online streaming of their channels, so who are you trying to kid?! The only channels that offer a free online stream off their website are Skai, MAD & 4E (not listed).

I question this service as well, I could not get any channels to work for me.  Every one I clicked on did not work and I don't think these streams are all from the broadcasters.  As far as I know Alpha TV & Alter do not offer any free online streaming of their channels, so who are you trying to kid?!  The only channels that offer a free online stream off their website are Skai, MAD & 4E (not listed).

A few things to note:

1. We are not in control of these streams - the are coming from the channels themselves or from a third-party aggregator that is broadcasting the channel online.

2. Some channels do not broadcast 24/7 and others sometimes unknowingly terminate free streaming. What specific channels did you click on that didn't play?

For example, RAI Uno, Due, and Sport recently limited streaming to customers in Italy. Alpha TV did have a free stream, but that also stopped in late 2008. If a channel is not playing, there is a mechnasim to report a broken link.

Sorry for any confusion.

-Rob

Regarding legality...the streams are coming DIRECTLY FROM THE CHANNELS themselves.

1. We are not in control of these streams - the are coming from the channels themselves or from a third-party aggregator that is broadcasting the channel online.

So which is it, Rob?

Point is, anything that comes from a third party could be and probably is illegal in this case. Now if anyone here wants to use it that's just fine by me, I have a bunch of those listed in my list too, but it's good to have some clarity about it to begin with, so people know what they get into :) .

So which is it, Rob?

Point is, anything that comes from a third party could be and probably is illegal in this case. Now if anyone here wants to use it that's just fine by me, I have a bunch of those listed in my list too, but it's good to have some clarity about it to begin with, so people know what they get into :) .

Genome, to answer your question....No one can verify whether or not a stream is "legal" or "Illegal" if the URL does not specifically have the channel URL in the link.

With that being said, there are a large # of channels that do legally use third parties to stream their signal - and there are others who are illegally ingesting and rebroadcasting content. WheeverTV tries its best to include only those known legal sources of content.

To date, WhereverTV has not received a single request from any channel to remove the link to their stream If they had, the channel would be removed immediately.

And, as the previous poster mentioned, the fact that channels sometimes change their online streaming strategy and/or they begin enforcing geographic broadcast rights by limiting streams to a certain country sometimes leads to channels not being available (i.e. RAI Uno & Alpha just to name a few).

As an example, the Man U v. Arsenal game is being broadcast right now directly from a channel in Slovakia, but is being blacked out on other channels in Hungary, the UK, etc. What each channel does is up to them.

I question this service as well, I could not get any channels to work for me.  Every one I clicked on did not work and I don't think these streams are all from the broadcasters.  As far as I know Alpha TV & Alter do not offer any free online streaming of their channels, so who are you trying to kid?!  The only channels that offer a free online stream off their website are Skai, MAD & 4E (not listed).

Just saw this thread and wanted to clarify a few things:

There are MANY channels in Greece now streaming their own programming online (not using third parties). Most of them are local/regional stations, but it is absolutely not true that only SKAI, MAD and 4E offer their own streaming. The number is also growing seemingly every week...many stations have launched live streams in the past few months. And, in addition, there are a number of online-only TV stations and *lots* of on-demand video sites available nowadays.

That said, wherever.tv's list is very incomplete (and all of those live streams readily available elsewhere online). There's many, many more streams and on-demand video out there to be found, whether it is by visiting the websites of the stations themselves, or sites like my own website, like http://www.livegreektv.net (hosted by www.media.net.gr).

By the way, Alpha TV never had a free stream of its own. Or at the very least, if it did, it never advertised it on www.alphatv.gr. There was a way to watch Alpha for free online, however, along with ANT1, Mega, Star, ET1, NET, ET3 until a few months ago (with the Alpha stream being by far the most reliable for some reason) but the website which was streaming these stations apparently was shut down with arrests/confiscations taking place.

Out of the very major stations in Greece, only Alter has had a stream of its own (prior to Skai) but for a while now it has not been available through alter.gr, though there is a third-party stream of Alter that is readily available online. Third-parties, however, are not necessarily illegal: there are sites like jaytv.gr, etv.gr, which provide streaming TV services for stations, so while the URL will reflect their servers, it is in fact an authorized broadcast from that station itself.

Archived